“A nice night, but nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 473 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Szechuan, Malaysian, Shanghai
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: ' Possibly The Authentic Chinese-Malaysian In The Country' THE TIMES - Giles Coren
“A nice night, but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We visited for a friend's birthday. The food was good, but a little overpriced, and the staff were less friendly that we had hoped. There was nothing wrong per say, but it wasn't the special night we'd hoped for.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“ Impressed with taste and friendliness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Amazing, beautiful food, colourfull and interesting flavours! Impressed with the taste as well as very friendly staff. Great place, highly recommended! A must if in Oxford!

Reading, United Kingdom
“Would go again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

A little out of the way from the main hustle and bustle of oxford, but well worth it! Surprisingly empty, for the quality of the food. The restaurant took a booking. Well presented, authentic, tasty food. Waiter was friendly, and happy to help. Asked if we wanted to know what's popular, always had a smile on his face. Nice looking place. Great for trying something new due to the variety of cuisines on the menu. Happy with total when I looked at the bill. No complaints, would go again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham
“It may be a matter of taste...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The restaurant's excellent reviews and the fact that it has Szechuan cooking made me eager to try it, but it proved a bit of a disappointment. I loved Szechuan food when I lived in New York, but this was very different. There were surprisingly few vegetarian options, and the bean curd dish I finally settled on proved very spicy but not particularly tasty. Now, I've never been to China, and it may well be that this was more authentic Szechuan cooking that what I had in the US. The staff were also hospitable and helpful. All the same, neither my wife nor I much liked the food.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Deliciously fresh and spicy (if you want it!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Fortunately convenient to work, my 2 1/2 year old actually pulled us into Zheng just as they were opening one evening. He was fascinated with the fighting fish and I by the wonderfully diverse menu with Malaysian, Japanese, Indonesian, Chinese, etc offerings. Our food tasted fresh and wonderful, full of balanced spices and blends of flavours. I can't wait to try other things on the menu and will be taking family here when they come visit! They even brought our son a pair of lovely training chopstick which he found fascinating!

We will definitely be going back soon! A great place for supper in Jericho!

• Visited May 2014