“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Paris
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Had a problem with the initial booking and wrote a (polite) email to the manager about this. Got an immediate response, resolving the problem and offering a room upgrade. So glad we took them up on this, as we really can't fault this place and I find it hard to believe that anyone would receive bad service here. Everyone we spoke to went out of their way to help us and make our stay extra-special. The hotel is superb, full of character, spotless, comfortable (possibly the best bed I've ever slept in!) with lovely little touches like cakes/sweets and a hand-written card in the room on arrival. The award-winning brasserie serves absolutely delicious food and, again, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Highly recommend this hotel - we will be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear GillBegnor,

Thanks for the wonderful review, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Paul Watson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Polish first
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

My wife and i stayed here along with 2 friends for one night in March and all loved the hotel.

The setting and interior are obviously so unique and have been faithfully converted to give a real boutique feel to what is actually a very large hotel The reception area is lovely with a cosy feel and very helpful staff and the hotel is easy to get around despite being in separate blocks and over several floors.

We had cell rooms which whilst not cheap are great for a treat, they really are something different and very comfortable. Yes the lighting is quite low but personally i liked it as it gave a real atmosphere, and i think this a trait of Malmaison generally.

We had lunch in the bar area which was really good and it was nice to be able to relax over a long lunch and be left to our own devices and not have waiting staff constantly buzzing around.

Breakfast was good also and again there was no problem with us occupying a table for a good couple of hours as we all arrived at different times.

Overall a great location, great staff and a beautiful hotel!

Room Tip: Go for a cell room to get the real charm of the hotel
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I wanted to go to malmaison oxford after going to malmaison edinburgh and we weren't disappointed. the place is amazing. we done the sunday offer which is great value. the food, service etc is first class as you expect with malmaison but nothing prepares you for the style of this hotel, its just amazing. completely unique, attention to detail, crazy mixture of old and new which works. the hotel was perfect for a naughty weekend away but i don' know why anyone wouldn't enjoy staying here. Love it!

Room Tip: make sure you check your room is in the main part of the prison if that is what you want. we found t...
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Choose the Malmaison instead of the Randolph and I couldn't regret it more. The room was nice, but the staff still think it's prison. After complaining to the head office I discovered this is a company wide problem.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear dbjw1971,

I am very sorry to hear that you had a poor customer service experience at the hotel. As you may note from many of the other reviews, this is not at all consistent with our usual level of feedback.

I can not recall a complaint to head office, particularly one that has not been resolved to our guests full satisfaction and the detail given does not allow me to understand what the issue may have been.

I would be very pleased to hear from you directly so that I might be able to review this for you personally. My email is pwatson@malmaison.com or please call the hotel and ask for me directly.

I look forward to talking with you

Paul Watson
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We came to stay at the hotel because they were hosting a fashion show and the whole weekend was awesome! I called the hotel on the way with a few requests and they were extremely accommodating. The room was absolutely beautiful and managed to combine the amazing original features of the prison with modern day comforts you expect from a top hotel. The location was right in the middle of Oxford.

The fashion show was astounding and the cell block was an inspired location to host it. The party in the bar was probably the best anywhere in the country on a Sunday night. I think they are hosting it again next year and I will certainly be back.

I booked my room with the Sunday Stopover deal which was great value, I would suggest anyone checks the offers on their website before booking a room.

I will be back again and again and again and.... Can't wait!

Room Tip: We paid extra for a suite in the governor's quarters and it was definitely worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

My new man took me here to meet his best friend and then to spend the night. It was lovely, room was beautiful, such a unique place. He had booked lunch but the booking was lost but they sorted it out with the minimum of fuss.

Lunch was lovely and we enjoyed the bar in the evening.

I liked it so much I bought my brother and his bride a Malmaison voucher for their wedding present.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed at the Malmaison on Saturday 1st March for one night in a cell room. Check-in at the hotel is from 3pm onwards and was a really pleasant start to our one night break. The staff were really friendly and gave us a map of the local area for us to go exploring. When you check in you need to pay a £50 deposit on a debit/credit card in case you use any of the “in-room” facilities. I would also advise parking the car at a local park and ride as the hotels overnight rate for parking is £28.50. We parked at the ‘Seacourt Park and Ride’ where you have to purchase a pay and display ticket for your car for £2 (for 24 hours) and then just have to pay the bus fare into town (approx £2 single). Buses are frequent and they stop right outside the hotel, so if I were to stay here again I would recommend this park and ride. Parking around Oxford city centre in the other multi-storey car parks is equally expensive, so using the park and ride is the best option.

The cell rooms are amazing; it really is quite a fantastic opportunity to be able to stay in a converted prison. The room and bathroom are both spacious – they are made up of 3 cells which you can see when you enter the room. On arrival to our room we were welcomed with a personalised note and a tray of chocolate dipped strawberries and biscuits – a really nice touch. The room is supplied with tea/coffee making facilities, along with ironing board and hairdryer etc. There is a mini bar with a clear price menu and to be honest, the drinks/snacks did not seem to be massively overpriced. The TV also has a CD/DVD player which we didn’t use – but could be handy if you fancied a movie night. I would advise you take a walk around the inside of the hotel, on the ground floor (same floor as the restaurant); there is an old cell that hasn’t been converted so you can see what the hotel used to look like as a prison.

The hotel is situated in a small development with restaurants and bars all within a 2 minute walk. I would recommend that you book any restaurants for the evening in advance. We were uncertain of our plans until about 7pm and everywhere around seemed fully booked – apart from Pizza Express, which turned out to be perfect for what we wanted. After our meal and drinks we headed back to the hotel and had a night cap at the cocktail bar situated on the 3rd floor. The staff were really friendly and attentive and the bar was really nice.

In the morning we went down for breakfast – which was probably one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had in a hotel. There is a continental selection which included yogurts, croissants, pain au chocolat, cereals, fresh fruit/bread etc. Drinks selection included tea and coffee, orange/cranberry juice and actimel. You can then choose what you want off the main breakfast menu, we opted for eggs hollandaise and bacon with maple syrup on waffles – both options were delicious!

Check-out of the hotel was really easy; luckily we arrived just before midday so we didn’t have to queue. We left our bags behind reception so we could explore the city centre for a bit.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel, we had a lovely stay and can now say we’ve stayed overnight in a prison cell.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Malmaison Oxford Castle? Share your experiences!