“So good we stopped talking” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 497 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Small thai restaurant. Bookings essential.
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“So good we stopped talking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We called in before going elsewhere and sat at the bar. We had thai crackers and peanut sauce while waiting for thai pork belly and aubergine curry. When the main course arrived, we stopped talking because the food was just wonderful. I am very pleased that there was a limited menu. The chef hit every flavour perfectly. I wish I lived closer.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Tasty, friendly and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

If you like Thai food you will love this. A limited menu but authentic Thai food cooked before your very eyes by a lovely Thai lady and served by her friendly and helpful husband, Rufus. A limited wine list but the dry white was nice, drinkable and cheap.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Tasty authentic Thai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

This restaurant has a lot of hype and the food lives up to is. The restaurant is small and the food is freshly cooked in sight of the restaurant floor - for me a key sign that Oli's Thai is proud to provide freshly made high quality food. The menu is small (to reflect the size of the kitchen as well as the number of tables) and still it was difficult to make a choice because everything sounded so appealing. I don't think any dish would be a disappointment and I look forward to visiting again.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Authentic Thai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had a booking on a Saturday night. The staff were all extremely friendly and explained the menu (the menu was limited on our visit because the oven had just broken down but we were warned of this in advance and still decided to try as we had heard such good things about this place). The food was fantastic, we had all of the starters available! They were all great and the crispy chick pea salad was superb, with the most wonderful flavours. I had the chicken panang and my husband had the deep fried sea bass, both were wonderful and I'm now keen to go back so that I can have what he had!!! Whilst this is a small menu what we had was all good and we prefer to know that everything is freshly made and made well. We enjoyed the casual dining atmosphere and for us this is a welcome addition on our "great places to eat" list.

Visited January 2014
UK
“A little bit disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I went to Oli's Thai on my birthday for dinner, after seeing lots of great reviews here. My partner and I booked a table, explaining it was a special occasion, for 6pm but we later had a call informing us they had double booked and we could sit at the bar instead, which was fine.
On the day, we were called again to say the oven had broken. The staff were quick to apologise but several items were now off the menu, and sadly there was only 1 vegetarian option left, so I plumped for that. It would have been nice to be offered an alternative, but the waiting staff explained they had no vegetables at all!
Whilst not compulsory, it would also have been nice to have my birthday acknowledged, and to have some alternative dish or compensation for the reduction in the menu. The staff could certainly be more friendly. They were clearly receiving many bookings and we left feeling that they didn't really care as they knew more customers would be along soon. Sadly we won't be recommending Oli's Thai, which is a shame as the food was good quality.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere