“Much more than just a restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thirsty Meeples

Thirsty Meeples
99 Gloucester Green, Oxford OX12DF, England (Formerly Thirsty Meeples Board Game Cafe)
+44 1865 244247
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 493 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Eclectic, Café, Sandwiches
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Thirsty Meeples is the UK's first board game cafe. We have a collection of over 1,800 board games available to play. Classic, Children's, Strategy, Abstract, Family, Two-Player, Fantasy & Adventure, Party, Dice and Card games. More games are added every week.You can stay for as long as you like, and play as many games as you like! There is a cover charge of £3.50 For Adults, £2.50 For Children aged 12 and under. Our staff called Game Gurus can help with choosing games from our collection and explaining the rules.We provide a full table service with a range of hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, cakes and snacks. All our food is homemade. We sell board games too! We're open Monday to Friday 11am to midnight, Saturday 9am to midnight, Sunday 9am to 11pm.
Woodstock, England, United Kingdom
“Much more than just a restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

To be fair the meals are more snacks, sandwiches and the like. What this cafe really offers is the opportunity to play games from the selection of 1,500+ that are on the shelves around the cafe. We booked a table which allowed us to play for 3 hours. I would recommend booking as by the time we left there was a waiting list for tables. In the 3 hours that we were there we were able to play 8 games from classics like Operation and Battleships to some more obscure games (Thunderroad and MAGI). Both boys (aged 7 & 5) thoroughly enjoyed themselves and the staff there were fantastic at suggesting appropriate games. We each had a sandwich which were lovely and the boys both had raspberry milkshakes which were delicious. Looking forward to going back there on an evening without the boys to try out some of the more complex games.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Basildon, United Kingdom
“Something for everyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My daughter invited me to go to this interesting place. For your information it's only been open a week, so any judgement is a little previous. Three of us went, it has a fascinating selection of teas and coffees (older daughter is a real expert) she chose my coffee for me. It was just lovely. The food as interesting. The sandwich options are adaptable to your likes and thoughts, my only observation being the bread was quite heavy.
The whole set up is brilliant, giving gamers the chance to try an eyewateringly large selection of games with staff members amazingly knowledgeable on the games. It's a social experience worth visiting, I can see it becoming a place of pilgrimage for board game players.
In all my reviews I try to highlight an area for improvement, it does seem churlish to do so after a week of opening, but if there is one issue it's roles. Front of counter is brilliant, food drink service is an evolving part of the experience, once they get the behind the counter perfect there really won't be anything to criticise. On the other hand one could observe that a place focused on games doesn't want instant service otherwise it will get in the ay whilst the games are being set up, so a balancing act is called for.
Overall a new idea in uk developing well already a great experience can onl ge even better. I look forward to further visits. One further observation, it's not just for youngsters the selection of games caters from the young to the old, including families. I can see it becoming a venue for themed parties too. Wow a great future is calling. Good luck guys.
Ps it takes table reservations on line. As it gets better known I can imagine it getting quite hard to just walk in....be warned!

• Visited August 2013