“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Book Direct - Best Price
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel this weekend and had a fantastic time. We stayed in the premier suite and both felt it was absolutely worth paying for. The room was great, the private terrace very pleasant and the bathroom excellent. We also had afternoon tea and dinner at the hotel - and the breakfast which was included in the cost of the room. All three meals were very good.

The hotel was clean, tidy, well laid out and with good decor - overall, a great atmosphere and of course very centrally located within the city.

The staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful throughout and consistently gave the impression that nothing was too much trouble.

Would heartily recommend and we are already planning for when we might stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Vicarage Suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear David W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your 5 star review. It is pleasing to hear you had the opportunity to experience the premier suite and all its splendour. In these summer months its private terrace is the perfect place to make the most of room service.Your own haven of tranquillity in the centre of Oxford.

We look forward to your return visit.

David Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

This was a Groupon deal and although it ok - I wouldn't have been happy if I'd paid the full price. The bread was a little dry on one side as though the sandwiches had been sitting around for a while (and it was a hot day) and the scones were not as mother used to make....Plus the jam and cream (especially) were a definitely not generous portions. As I said - full price was over £40, we paid £19, so didn't feel we could mention the "flaws" at the time, but at full price, we would have. It hasn't made me want to rush back............

Dear Nicole1962,

Thank you for you review. How disappointing it is to read that you felt you could not mention the 'flaws' of your afternoon tea to the waiting staff as you were on the Groupon deal !! At Vanbrugh House customer service is paramount and refills of tea, coffee, jam and cream are available on request. If you would have mentioned your concerns to our team, I am sure we could have rectified your issues quickly and effectively. I do hope you do return to Vanbrugh House soon.

General manager
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Everything was wonderful for me. Each and every member of the staff, the room, the breakfast, the location. I was there for work and felt very spoiled. I would definitely stay there again. I think I was in one of the smallest rooms they offer, and it was very comfortable, and not all that small. It was all much more luxurious than my NYC apartment. Thanks for the great experience!

Room Tip: I had the smallest room option and stayed for 5 nights. I was one person, and would think that 2 peo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Anna B,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. It is really pleasing to hear that your 5 night stay with us was just to your liking. It is just so important that when travelling and away from home for periods at a time, that you do feel spoilt. This is exactly our intention. We hope to see you again soon at Vanbrugh House.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is a lovely hotel full of character just off the main shopping area in Oxford. We really enjoyed our afternoon tea sat in the garden soaking up the sunshine. The staff were really attentive and the food was lovely. I really wish our budget would have stretched to staying here!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Kate L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us and also had the opportunity of dining in the courtyard. I am glad the team looked after you to the high standard intended. We look forward to your return to Vanbrugh House.

General manager
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Wonderful! This hotel is like a maze, steps and stairs all over the place - going up, down and sideways - it must have belonged to Hogwarts school!
Because it is a listed building any alterations are strictly controlled. Therefore there is no lift installed. My wife and I had room 26 on the top floor. It is a spacious room with a compact lavatory and a good sized shower cubical which has a rain shower and hand held shower. During our stay we found the room to be very quiet, and beautifully appointed with comfy furniture. It contained a fridge holding complimentary soft drinks and snacks, as well as a hospitality tray for various teas, coffee, or hot chocolate. The only downside was that the housekeeping staff didn't always refill it, but a quiet word with the reception staff and the problem was soon resolved. Also, because it is a listed building there is no air conditioning, but there is an electric cooling fan in the room.
We thought that the bed was a little too firm for our liking, but we still slept reasonably well. The carpeting was good quality and nicely cushioned.
As for the members of staff, well, we couldn't fault them. We were warmly greeted upon arrival, and our bags were taken to our room. Also, whenever we entered the hotel the reception staff greeted us with a cheery "Hello". The housekeeping staff were also very friendly and polite.
The dining room is quite small, but the clever use of mirrors and lighting made it seem much more spacious than it really is. At breakfast time there was a very good selection of dishes to choose from, both cooked and continental, plus cereals and fruit. Wonderful! We were warmly greeted with a big smile by the lovely Mima. She was very attentive, and she looked after us beautifully, as did the other staff members. Mima was very helpful in telling us about interesting places to visit, and lovely places to walk. She also gave us a map indicating those places. On our last morning she seemed genuinely sorry to see us go. In the evening Alzbeta (I hope I spelt her name correctly) was our server. She also greeted us with a big smile. We dined fairly early that evening, so as the restaurant was not busy we were able to have a lovely chat with her. The food was absolutely delicious and beautifully presented, and we mentioned this to Alzbeta who passed it on to the excellent chef. On our last day at the hotel she gave us a fond farewell, and gave us her best wishes.
We can highly recommend this lovely hotel in the centre Oxford.
You must visit their website for more information.

Room Tip: Phone hotel to select room to suit your needs.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Aljen,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. Having spoken with Mima and Alzbeta we are all delighted with your feedback. It is pleasing to hear that you appreciated the uniqueness of the property with its historic design, and also that you found it to be 'beautifully appointed'.
With all such reviews it is also good to receive some constructive feedback also, and I have discussed with housekeeping the thorough replenishment of our hot drink facilities during stay overs.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House Hotel.

General manager.
Byfleet,leet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I am sorry it has taken me so long to write this review – I have been meaning to ever since our lovely stay at this extremely hospitable hotel!
I booked this hotel for my mum’s 60th birthday surprise, my two sisters and I were treating her to a night away in Oxford – we wanted her to feel spoilt and the Vanbrugh looked like the perfect place. The Website showed a cute boutique hotel with luxurious looking rooms and when I checked on Trip Advisor the main selling point for me was that the General Manager was taking the time to answer everyone’s comments and reviews – this confirmed to me that we would be well looked after!

The lovely ladies on reception whom I booked with via email and telephone were extremely helpful and answered all my questions, including reassuring me that the park and ride bus service would be really easy. We wanted to be in the centre to be near the restaurants and shopping but obviously didn’t want to pay the crazy parking charges.

We booked two rooms, a superior twin for my mum and one lucky sister and as we were on a budget my other sister and I decided we’d squeeze into the small double! After a very easy bus ride and short walk, we arrived at the hotel around midday on Sunday and were warmly welcomed, I had told reception we would be arriving early when I spoke to them the previous week – they had said our room wouldn’t be ready but they were happy to hold our bags whilst we went for some lunch. They were very friendly and the receptionist who took my card details was very discreet about confirming the price so that mum wouldn’t hear!

When we came back to the hotel after lunch we were shown to our rooms and our bags were already there! The Superior twin was gorgeous, really spacious, lovely décor and a lovely plate of chocolate dipped strawberries and a birthday card for my mum! The bathroom was nice, the windows were bright and the real milk and complimentary drinks and nibbles in the mini fridge were a real bonus! Next were shown to the small double, which I must say was just as luxurious, in fact our bathroom was bigger than the Superior twin’s!

The night porter was great and kindly brought 4 G&Ts to our room when we got back from our evening out. The next morning I snuck to the restaurant early to decorate the table with some 60 confetti, present and cards, the ladies running the breakfast were really helpful and offered to decorate our table for me so that I could sneak back up to the room without mum noticing! The breakfast itself was delicious and lots of choice.

When it came to check out the receptionists were again fantastic and kindly stored our bags whilst we went off shopping!

Thank you to everyone at The Vanbrugh for making organising the stay so easy and for making us feel so welcome while we stayed!

We will be back!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet night request a back room, but remember this hotel is in the centre of Oxford Ci...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Josie P,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. I am so pleased that you all enjoyed your time spent at Vanbrugh House for your mothers 60th treat, and that you found the hotel and its rooms of the high quality intended.
It pleases me to hear that you were so well looked after by the team, just what is needed after a hard days shopping!

We all look forward to your return to Vanbrugh House.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

As previous reviews have mentioned staff are very friendly and helpful. As to the non-human, if you imagine that over 50% of your nights stay is going towards location you should almost be prepared for the level of quality you will encounter.

The design and furnishings are atrocious! To put it generously, the neoclassical-by-way-of-Scandinavian-kitset furniture contrasts with what little remains of the architectural heritage of this Grade II* listed building, "parts of which date back to the 17th century." The floor has not been levelled and therefore the sharp clean lines of pieces of furniture such as the headboard and fridge cabinet are very noticeably crooked. Don't get me wrong, I know some people are into this furniture, however this range of stuff is much better suit a new build, it shows no sensitivity to the existing staircase, windows, frontage, etc. Other oddities in the choice and placement of the furniture include: TV on top of ridiculously large cabinet, desk with mirror (so you can look at yourself while you're writing? who does that?), fireplace with three weird concrete balls in it (... still trying to imagine what kind of planning meeting led to these), and mirrors with giant silver floral ornamentation over the fireplace and in the bathroom.

At 275 per night, the bathroom not only does not include a bathtub, but also smells strongly of mould. Since the hotel is new my guess is that this is due to poor installation of the shower tiles. There is a horizontal crack in the sealing/caulking near the bottom of the shower wall which is coated in black mould. The room is a little stuffy but its not loud in the street tonight so fine with windows open.

Having briefly glimpsed the rather grim basement dining area I was planning on heading out to a cafe tomorrow morning, however after reading a few other reviews I am now intrigued to see the infamous half field mushroom that is apparently a regular occurrence at breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear munndaniel,

As General Manager it disappoints myself and the team enormously that you were so unhappy with the design and furnishings of the hotel. This of course is your personal preference, and one which of course I will have to respect. I will state however that I disagree with your review and in my professional capacity will only respond to the point that I see as valid and constructive.
I have immediately begun looking into the odour in the bathroom to which will be addressed accordingly. I thank you for bringing my attention to this.

David Robinson

Been to Vanbrugh House Hotel? Share your experiences!