“Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #257 of 513 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Pub
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Sunday roast was really nice when we first started going to this pub earlier this year, something changed lately, food is awful: very small amount meat per serving, four small piece roast potatoes were hard and dry - taste left over food. Staff is not friendly, beer was average. We tried twice in last three weeks, and we had same experience. So no way we are back there again, what a shame to turn such a good successful Sunday roast business's into poor quality standards ever age pub food just within a few months.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Greasy, dirty and bad atmosphere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We went here purely because of reviews - more fool us! just so others don't fall into the same trap I just to clarify: the food here is over priced bland greasy pub grub that's all. Their service is also non existent , the eating area is grubby and dirty overall I would say this is a far cry from 'the best Sunday lunch in Oxford'.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Would not go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband I went here for Sunday lunch after a recommendation from a friend.
I was most dissapointed, the service at the bar was very slow, the tables were sticky, and glasses lay uncollected. Anyway, I ordered my roast and my husband ordered a burger and chips, and 50 minutes later, they still hadnt arrived. We were starving! I thought we may have been forgotten so I went to the bar and enquired, the barman advised me that they were really busy as it was a Sunday(I do understand Sunday lunch times are busy, but 50 minutes) and that the kitchen only has one oven. 20 Minutes later, our meals finally arrived. Mine was inedible, had clearly been reheated many times, was swimming in watery gravy and the presentation was awful. My husbands wasnt much better, he would of got a far better burger and chips in MacDonalds!The meal itself looked liked it had been sat on.
We wever very dissapointed, we left our meals and wont be going back.
I cant beleive how many good reviews this pub has - Im really shocked. Perhaps they were having an off day.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“A favorite Oxford pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I love the Port Mahon! I can't say enough good things about this place. They serve wonderful food - I recommend the veggie burger, I'm a vegetarian and it is the BEST veggie burger I've had in a while. The staff are easy to talk to and always friendly. Beware that the kitchen only prepares for a set number of dishes so they will run out of menu items but I think it gives the place a better atmosphere. You know the food is fresh and cooked that day plus. The Port Mahon is located outside of the city centre radius but only about a 10-15 minute walk from the High Street. Great pub, great food, great beer!

Visited June 2013
Pontefract, United Kingdom
“Wholesome food from old traditional pub.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Prt Mahon opens on a Sunday at 12.00am and we arrived at approximately 12.25 and couldn't get a seat. The lady behind the bar was extremely welcoming and helpful and put a reserved notice on a table where she knew the diners as they were regulars. We had the roast beef and nut roast between us and were not dissapointed. The large yorkshire puddings were delicious and just how you make them back up North. Will definitely visit again and we would recommend it but ensure you arrive early.

• Visited May 2013