“Basic coffee, but great wifi!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #241 of 471 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, British, Delicatessen, English
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Casual Dining for every time of day, Breakfast , Lunch, Afternoon Tea.Salad Bar, Soups, Sandwiches, Baguettes, Ice cream sundaes, Artisan French Desserts
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Basic coffee, but great wifi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

If you are looking for a large, quiet, open space to have a coffee and connect to friends back home, then visit Java and make sure that you go upstairs. The downstairs is cramped and difficult to manage and the wifi is slow. The upstairs is wide open with lots of big tables and chairs and a strong wifi connection. There are several desktops available to whoever needs them with a small charge to connect to the internet, so you don't even need your own laptop or tablet to be connected.

Visited September 2012

Reading, United Kingdom
“Don't bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I've now visited this coffee shop/cafe twice, with the coffee from the second time sitting on my desk whilst I write this review. There are so many coffee shops in Oxford but this one is conveniently on my walk back to my office.

After seeing this independent shop open, replacing another national chain store I was quite excited to try out their coffee, hoping to get something a little more tasty or interesting than your standard Costa, Starbucks, etc.

The experience was rather average the first time, interior seemed pretty much the same as under its old name but with new branding. My first coffee was just 'o.k.', but the second one was just plain awful. After my first visit I went for a regular sized cappuccino but then decided it was too big. Next time I went for a small which was a lot more like the regular size I'm used to elsewhere. The small was also the same price as a regular at an AMT for example.

The second coffee is where my short lived relationship with Java & co ends I'm afraid. The lady who served me took my order and went off to make a fresh espresso into my cup. Then took the cup of espresso and walked over to some milk frothing jugs that were just left by the sink as if they were waiting to be washed. They hadn't moved the entire time I was at the counter. She took one of them and poured some rather thin looking milk out (no froth) and then stopped. Then she took another jug and started to scrape out froth from the bottom of it. She didn't even hold the jug up over the cup, it was literally being picked out with a spoon then shaken off into my cup. It took her a few attempts to cover the top of the milky coffee, and then she smoothed it over with the back of a spoon and brought it over to me.

I'm sorry I took the coffee in the end but I'm not a barrista, and only recall watching what others do when making cappuccinos.

I put my sugar in and took the coffee back to the office. By the time I got back (less than 5 minutes) I removed the lid and the froth was all gone. Now looking more like a latte, I tasted the coffee and it was just like overheated boiled milk that leaves a sticky coating in your mouth. Its going straight down the sink.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“They don't know how to make coffee”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I asked for a flat white and got, at best, a latte. But the lady had boiled the milk so long with the steam that it took until I got to Lewknor on the Oxford Tube before I could drink it without scalding my mouth, I could barely hold the cup. I pointed out they'd buggered it up but they wouldn't make me another and I was too late to argue so I took it...should've just left it on the counter for them to try and pick up without burning themselves.

Visited July 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Dissappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Summary
-------------------
Decor : 4/5
Cakes: 2/5
Coffee: 1.5/5
Service: 2/5
Price: 2.5/5
============
Overall : 2.4/5
============

Detail
---------------
I'm a coffee lover. I can drink gallons of the stuff and love trying new blends and beans.
So i was happily shuffling to work this morning and was very pleasantly surprised to see a new independent coffee bar had opened up in Oxford. Yay!!

CAKES: So i stepped in. All looked very nice and clean and shiny. Cakes are well presented but the problem is they are the same as every other coffee chain. They are alright but nothing special. Perhaps unfairly i was hoping independent meant different or special :(

COFFEE: So decided to pass up on a morning sugar fix and just consume the coffee. The best way i've found to judge a coffee place is by its Black Americano. Theres no hiding behind frothy milk and sprinkles and foam. If the coffee is good it will show. It wasn't good :( It wasn't bad but its not worth paying money for. Its pretty bland and watery and to be honest is probably a step below a decent instant coffee.

SERVICE: The service from the staff this morning was about average. Again perhaps unfairly i was hoping independent meant they might be friendly ,welcoming , chatty and that they might care about their customer in order to get repeat business. They weren't busy or rushed otherwise they might not have time to do more then record and order and produce it. But not so much as a thank you :(

So i'm disappointed as the independent coffee house is the same as the chains but with worse coffee and less friendly staff. I like to support local business instead of chains but sadly i won't be able to do so with this place.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Andrew B, Owner at Java&Co, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to visit us, you probably visited us very early after we had opened so not everything was in place.
We now sell a range of artisan french desserts, that are hand made for us by a top french chef.
Our Coffee is a robust blend, stronger and more flavoursome than Costa or Starbucks so all I can think of is that there must have been an issue with the preparation of your cup that day as lots of customers complement us on the coffee, so I apologise for that.
We now have a great Salad bar, and do Jacket potatoes and a range of items you cant find in the chains as well as a number of gluten free products
Now that we have been open a few months please try us again.