“A mixed experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A mixed experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed here with our families last week before/after our wedding at Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons. It would be unfair to judge it by Le Manoir's impeccable standards, but we were nevertheless disappointed by several aspects of our stay.

First off, on the positive side:
Characterful & attractive pub.
Excellent cooked breakfast.
Good selection of drinks, well made (we enjoyed Hendricks G&Ts with cucumber).

However:
Service fluctuated between offhand and friendly - at check-in we were kept waiting and not made to feel welcome but then staff were very helpful arranging transport the next day.
The toilet in the 'May' room wouldn't always flush; bizarrely a lump under the sheet on the bed turned out to be a potato crisp!! Bathroom had a fruit sticker in the basin & hair on the wall so had clearly not been cleaned properly.
A noisy party took place until midnight on our third night, making it impossible to sleep in the room above - despite having booked several months in advance we were given no warning of this until the day.
The area has minimal mobile reception/3G; the free WiFi is intermittent and there are no phones in the rooms which made it difficult to sort out last-minute wedding issues!
The cricket theme is clearly a relic of the previous owner as the Ashes wasn't being shown!

Overall we would recommend it for a pleasant drink in characterful surroundings, but not to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
sophie l, Owner at The Bat & Ball Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your recent stay here at The Bat & Ball.
I am pleased you enjoyed certain aspects, ie the character, atmosphere, drinks etc but disappointed that you felt let down by some service points and accomodation.
We strive to provide good customer service front and back of house and I have met with my manager/housekeepers to discuss taking steps to avoid such things happening again. The toilet was also mended as soon as possible.
As we are a country pub with guest bedrooms rather than a hotel, phones in the rooms are not necessary and any resident is welcome to use our landline at any time as we are a notorious black spot for signal even making the BBC news a couple of years ago on this matter.
The bank holiday party we held unfortunately clashed with your stay and I must apologise for the noise disruption you experienced and your understanding when we spoke.
On your last point, we are very proud of our cricket memorabilia and it took a previous landlord and friend nine years to collect it and unfortunately we do not have sky tv to show sport as it is unfortunately a luxury in this very difficult economic climate that we just can not stretch to.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed overnight at the Bat & Ball last Saturday night 20/8/13. Me and my husband had a lovely room. The food was good - we had an evening meal and breakfast the following morning. The staff were very helpful and most welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. Many thanks to them. Would definitely stay there again if in that area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
sophie l, Owner at The Bat & Ball Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a positive review on your recent stay at The Bat & Ball. I was pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and have passed on your comments to the rest of my staff.
Again, thank you.
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Ate at the Bat and Ball, with my wife.
Found it quite pretentious, average food, talked up.
Less than attentive staff also.
Certainly wouldn't return, as there are far better and cheaper restaurants nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
sophie l, Owner at The Bat & Ball Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to convey your thoughts on your recent visit to The Bat & Ball. Obviously I was dissappointed to read your comments but the one I disliked most was the 'disinterested ' staff point made. Service is so vital to your overall enjoyment and I called a meeting immediately with the team and we have decided to work on these areas.
I was wondering if you could email me and let me know details of the dishes you chose and also when you came to enable me to pinpoint things in more detail. info@batball.co.uk.
Thank you.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed recently whilst on a business trip.
Inn is a bit off the beaten track
Room was ok, although fixtures and fittings were a bit tired
Food reasonable and decent value
Staff very good no complaints at all

Room Tip: Avoid the boycott room if having early night, room just above the bar and sound system speakers.!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
sophie l, Owner at The Bat & Ball Inn, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments on our food and staff here at The Bat & Ball, it is much appreciated.
We are always looking at ways to improve the quality of our rooms and therefore take the slightly less positive feedback on these and try to act on it although I do feel still feel they are good value.
I will also point out to my staff again, how vital it is to keep the noise level in the bar to a minium, especially in the week and I hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Four of us stayed two nights at the Bat and Ball as we were lunching at Le Manoir and wanted to stay as close as possible without having to pay £1000 per night! We chose it because of its location and the excellent website, plus a good many positive reviews.

First the plus points: the staff are lovely, from Sophie the landlady to Emily and Conor who worked behind the bar and served food. The pub itself is quirky with the cricket theme very well done. As another reviewer mentioned, little things like the towel rails made from old cricket stumps added to the appeal. We ate dinner the first night which was well up to the standard I expected of a recommended pub, a light breakfast the next morning as we were having a five course lunch, a small supper later that evening and a full breakfast the second morning which was excellent, with wonderful scrambled eggs.

Now the negatives: none of the bedrooms have easy access from the pub. Five of the seven rooms are across a small covered walkway to an adjacent building with three up a steep metal spiral staircase. We knew our bedroom was small, we booked the last two rooms, one was a twin room downstairs which our friends took and we had a small double up the spiral staircase. Double doesn't quite describe the room - overlarge broom cupboard would not be too cruel and the shower room was absolutely tiny. The sheets were crisp and the towels of a good standard, but that was about the best that could be said. My husband gets claustrophobic at the best of times and if the Travelodge down the road had had a vacancy I'm afraid we would have been off. Our friends' room was fine and if we had been allocated a similar room, we would have been perfectly satisfied, but given that all the rooms appeared to be charged at the same rate, it was very poor value. And yes, we were warned that it was a small double, but there's small and then miniscule. Sophie and Emily both said that this (and one other) room were normally sold as singles, but even so, it was a horrible shock. The second night we were able to move to a much larger, long and narrow room which was above the pub itself, but accessed from an external metal fire escape, not easy in the rain or when carrying luggage. The sloping ceiling was a problem for my husband who ended up sleeping in the single bed at the other end of the room while I slept in the double, trying to be very careful not to bang my head, although not always succeeding. However, the shower room was great, far more spacious with a very powerful shower and good lighting. We were greeted with a dead mouse in the corridor outside our bedroom on our way to breakfast, but hey-ho, this is the country after all, so no complaints there and the staff had removed the remains by the time we had finished the excellent breakfast.

So overall, would we go back? Maybe, although we now realise that the journey from our home is quicker than we thought, so we wouldn't necessarily feel the need for an overnight visiting Le Manoir in future. For other visitors, especially those who are going to Le Manoir, it's very close, the staff are lovely, the food is good and if you get a reasonable room you would be fine. I've been told and other reviewers have mentioned that Boycott is a good room, but sadly I would have to say that if the only rooms available are the two smallest, go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
sophie l, Owner at The Bat & Ball Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave a review of your recent stay here at The Bat & Ball.
We welcome your great comments on our team, we pride ourselves on good, friendly service and I'm glad that you felt myself and my staff delivered on this.
As we discussed when you were here and as mentioned in your review the room you stayed in was unfortunately small and is usually sold as a single bedroom. We are lucky to have such an old and interesting building but this does mean that we cannot offer particularly large guest rooms (or do much about sloping ceilings!) and I'm sorry that you felt uncomfortable on your first night. I am glad you managed to have a more pleasant second night though and that you enjoyed our food here.
Once again, thank you for reviewing your stay and we look forward to seeing you again if ever you are in the area.
Sophie
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed following a wedding with the evening do held in the pub. On this level was a nice pub, good atmosphere, friendly staff and a nice fire. The accommodation, selected purely as we were already there and it seemed to make sense to stay, was where it all went wrong. The room was literally tiny and could barely fit us and our luggage in it without having to climb across the bed as no floor space. The bathroom was even more cramped, toilet of dubious flushing ability and utterly freezing in there. As we came to go to bed we noticed the cushion decorating the bed had a very dubious stain on it, it looked like dried vomit! When we mentioned this the next day they did not apologise but did say they would sort it out, hopefully so for whoever gets the dubious pleasure of staying there next! Then the worst bit came, the bed. Which on one side literally had broken springs in it meaning I practically fell out of the bed every time I moved and was desperately uncomfortable all night. We had checked out of a neighbouring hotel that morning to stay here, regretfully! Also we mentioned the mattress on check out, and they were already aware of it as before the words were out our mouths the guy taking our payment said oh yes the left side of the bed as you look at it! I just don't think that's good enough when you're aware of it and charging someone to stay in it. Would recommend anyone to look elsewhere, terribly disappointing and just did not want to put up more of a fuss at the time because it was a friend's wedding and did not want to cause them any embarrassment, but the whole experience was generally horrendous!

Room Tip: Just don't get one, sleep somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sophie l, Owner at The Bat & Ball Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Tripadavisor.
I am sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing stay with us last week. We have looked at all the points raised and taken action accordingly, the most important one being the bed. A new one has been ordered and and the cushion has been thoroughly cleaned. Obviously, our accomodation is in a 16th century building and with that comes limited space. The room you stayed in is usually sold as a single room and we did make this clear to the bride and groom who allocated guests accordingly.
Once again I apologise for your discomfort during your stay and thank you for your comments.
truro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Lots of good things to say about the pub, nice atmosphere,lovely fire, fantastic food (strongly recommend the burger!) really dog friendly and nice village location.

However, we had a few issues with the accommodation. Firstly the room was very small, it lacked personality, more of a glorified Travel Lodge. The smell of a plug-in was overwhelming - personally I'm not a fan. There was no noise insulation and we could here the above rooms do EVERYTHING! On the plus side the room was clean and the towels were of good quality we just felt the room wasn't good value for money; £90.

Room Tip: Go for rooms on the first floor rather than the ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bat & Ball Inn? Share your experiences!