“Not a 4 star” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Lisbon, Portugal
“Not a 4 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Maybe I also at too high expectations. Upon arrival the staff was friendly and our room Balliol was nice. Though it's under the roof and 2nd night very warm despite all windows open and we took away the duvet. Bathroom nice but lack of water pressure, and the pump makes a lot of noise. Breakfast was not great, toast almost burned, eggs Benedict over cooked and scrambled eggs weird. Some of the waiters were nice, another one hangover? Also the flowers and plants have a hard time to survive in the restaurant. At the reception very nice and helpful staff. It's not far from the centre but still a 10 min walk, bus stop almost in front of the hotel, very convenient. Overall I think it's a nice hotel but overpriced

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Bath, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

A very pleasant hotel with friendly and helpful staff; my only gripe is that the bath/shower were not up to the standard I expected - the shower head was scaled and dirty with consequently low water pressure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed while visiting my little brother attending Oxford Univ. He recommended I stay here. Rooms are decent sized and have a nice bathroom. Great cafe area for sitting w coffee in morning or drinks in afternoon - good food! Staff is very friendly. Easy walk to many attractions, schools and restaurants.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had high expectations from seeing reviews of this hotel on Tripadvisor and elsewhere. My initial reaction was fine as the reception was welcoming and friendly. The room however, although reasonably comfortable, was dated and firmly stuck in the eighties. Considering it has been billed as a four-star hotel the standards need to be lifted a tad, for example, there was a tissue left on the floor below the desk in the room, it was there when we got in, and still there when we left. The most disappointing element was the dinner. The menu was very tempting but throughout our stay there were menu items not available which got progressively worse by the night. All in all everything was ok but could have been much better with some care.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

My Husband and I stayed her a couple of wks before Xmas 2012 and because the location is great, we booked it again, this time bringing my Mother and her Husband.
The majority of the staff are lovely and very helpful.
Great to have free parking, we parked up and walked everywhere for the 2 nights we stayed.
Breakfast was good but not excellent. I had eggs benedict, eggs were undercooked and too much sauce, portion was huge, too large for me. My Mother had the same the next morning but it looked completely different! Kitchen staff need to make sure the dishes stay the same. Tea and toast were delayed too, so I had to ask for it, then everything arrived at once!! Hot breakfast, tea and toast!!
The rooms are quite small and I think expensive, £215 a night is not cheap in my opinion. Would have liked more toiletries in the bathroom. Floor tiles were cracked and shower screen really needed to be replaced. Lovely huge towels though.
Upholstery getting very tired on the chairs in the room. Bed was excellent, very comfortable. A larger tv would be appreciated too.
Stair carpet needed cleaning or replacing. Generally everywhere needed a good clean. Just a few little tweaks and this hotel could be perfect.
It's a shame but next time we visit Oxford we will try a different hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed here while visiting our son at university. We wanted to be within walking distance of his college in Broad Street. Staff were friendly, helpful and polite. The hotel was nicer than I expectted from the picture on the web. We had a standard room and was very nicley decorated. I loved the fabrics used. Bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean.
I only really had 1 niggle and that was no toiletries!! when a standard room is costing £175 per night I do expect some nice treats in the bathroom. I had not packed any toiletries and the only extra available was some shower gel in a fixed pump. I do like to take some little momentoes home with me.
The £175 did inlcude breakfast. There was a nice choice of cereals, pastries, cooked breakfasts. I opted for the eggs benedict and my husband has full English. It was ok My eggs were over cooked and I was not impressed with the full English - although the patries were lovely.
We had the set dinner in the evening. this was good value but the food would not win any awards. It was nice! not great
We then met my sons friends in the bar. The bar was very quiet. It would have been nice to have some soft background music and the bar bill and meal douobled our bill. So ended up an expensive 1 night stay. But I think that is probably down to the amount of beverages we consumed.
I would stay here again as the staff were great, hotel was clean and well presented and close to city centre.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and myself stayed here overnight on a friend's recommendation as we had to be at Brize Norton early the next day, we were not disappointed. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the centre of Oxford and all of the staff whom we came into contact with were very friendly, especially the gentleman behind the bar from Vincenza and the Head Waiter from Portugal (good luck with your wedding), it was lovely speaking to them both. Our room was in the courtyard and although it wasn't one of the biggest rooms we have stayed in, the bed was one of the most comfortable. As the weather was atrocious, the room was quite cold and after reporting this to reception the Head Waiter appeared at our door with a heater within 5 minutes, great service! This hotel has tables outside which would have been lovely to sit at had the weather been kinder but hopefully we will visit again soon when I'm sure the sun will shine and we can share a bottle of wine in the garden. Keep up the good work, hope to see you soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cotswold Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!