“Warm beer and expensive” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 513 Restaurants in Oxford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Grapes epitomises Oxford’s George Street of old. Situated in a prime location, the pub’s curiously traditional exterior stands out from the surrounding identikit chain bars and restaurants, whilst the new, lovingly restored interior envelops you with a warm welcome.Offering a carefully crafted food menu of old favourites, a premium selection of spirits and an extensive wine list , we are a Bath Ales pub so there is also an enviable range of great beer from both our own brewery and further afield.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Warm beer and expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Disappointed by visit Saturday 3 July as had high hopes on first visit to this Bath Ales hostelry. Pub had little character but looked ok with range of Bath brwAles beer and ciders. Chose half a pint of the Barnsey and glad it was only a half as warm , on the turn with a tang and expensive . Expect better of Bath Ales which regularly enjoy

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
James D, General Manager at The Grapes Pub, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hi CelticBoater

Am sorry to hear about your visit on Saturday. I can honestly say that our beer is in impeccable condition all the time, this takes a lot of time and energy and is something that I personally take great pride in.
This weekend however I have had to deal with a 200 year old cellar and a 31 degree heat wave which has caused us an issue which gladly is now being resolved.

My team are trained to replace beer without question if a customer is unhappy with it for whatever reason, I do trust this happened on this occasion also.

I do hope that you come back to see us as in the near future, especially seeing that you are a fan of our products, I (along with many Oxford drinkers) truly believe that we have one of the best kept pints in the city and would love for you to come back to enjoy so you can agree with me.

Many Thanks

James Dixon

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
“Nice Pub!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

A Bath Ales pub serving nice beer and classic pub food. Convenient for the centre of Oxford and close to the station. Friendly pub!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
James D, General Manager at The Grapes Pub, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Hi Pete M,

Glad to hear you liked our pub, hope to see you again soon

Regards

oxford, england
“Not what it was”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The title can be taken two ways and that's how I see it.
The Grapes was a sad old pub opposite the New Theatre and has been really nicely converted into a really attractive looking pub. Lots of really nice wood, comfortable seating - a really good job. And Bath Ales which is great. A first class range of beers, ciders and a good range of malts.
So far so good.
I have been there a few times and eaten. The first time I had the fish and chips I was really impressed, beautifully presented and well cooked. Tonight though it all seemed a bit sad, the quality of the fish was nowhere near as good - a thin greyish fillet - nice batter still , the presentation not as good and chips also lacking the excellence of the opening days. All in all a bit sad and disappointing. Maybe it was an off day - who knows - but it seemed like they didn't care much - certainly we were not asked how the meal was.
The menu is small and that should mean that it can be done very well - it was initially and should be now.
I would have rated this place with 5 stars a year or so ago but now I can only give 3 stars. So Good beer but so so pub grub.

Visited May 2013
Hi mtbhll,
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. Firstly thankyou for the kind words, we take great pride in all we do here from the beer and food to the atmosphere and most importantly, delighting our pub friends old and new.

With this in mind am deeply saddened to hear that we have not done so on your recent visit. Our Fish and Chips is certainly a Grapes favourite and we are very lucky to be able to get this delivered to us daily to serve fresh every time.
A bad day is not an excuse for not delivering what we promise and so I can't apologise enough.
We've changed the menu in recent weeks and so there are other great dishes to try now also.

Hope to see you soon

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Bath Ales Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Great pub great beer very friendly bar staff. The beer was at just the right temperature and was topped up without me asking. Al in all a very good watering hole.

Visited May 2013
Hello morlander
Thanks for taking the time to review us. Am very glad to hear you enjoyed your pint, we take great pride in all we do here.
Hope to see you again soon

Newcastle, Australia
“Could be good but?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Opposite the New Theate so very handy for a pre show dinner along as you get in early and leave plenty of time. Menu is limited but OK, service very slow although the staff are good apart from a young lady having a bad night. Our main complaint was the womens toilets neither of which flushed and were full of !?!?!?. The staff were aware of this situation but alas did nothing. I seem to recall hearing the words "It's not my job". Lift your game The Grapes.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hello Michael N,
Am sorry to hear about your experience. That evening in particular was somewhat of an odd one where we lost the water pressure to the toilets and were incredibly busy-not a good combination. We were completely unaware of this until you brought it to our attention, which I am thankfull for. No excuses for the girl having a bad night, it happens to the best of us,but we think this in particular is a case of crossed wires as both she & myself went straight in to investigate so I was able to fix the problem asap whilst she cleaned up without complaint.

I hope that this hasn't put you off visiting us again and hope to see you in the near future

Many Thanks