“My favorite restaurant in Oxford!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“My favorite restaurant in Oxford!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I went to My Sichuan several times with my partner and it's our favorite restaurant in Oxford. The food is very authentic (by our standards at least - we lived in China for a while). There's a good variety of dishes but you need to know what you're going after because as with real Chinese food there can be a few unusual items in the menu and the menu can be a bit confusing (compared to standard restaurant menus). Our favorite: crispy dry fried beef with chillies and sliced beef in chilli and Sichuan peppercorn sauce.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Oxford
“Great Chinese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I went last night, my first time, with two friends- both vegetarians. I loved the menu, although was very timid- I choose not to have the jellyfish, bullfrog, intestines etc. Instead I went for a chicken dish, and a fantastic scallion pancake while the vegetarians went for deep fried sweetcorn, an aubergine dish, a cucumber and garlic and a mushroom dish. The range of choice was fantastic, and the dishes we went for were fantastic.
I would go back. While the service was a bit slow at the very start, it rapidly improved and was absolutely fine, despite some several large groups in on a Friday night. There are at least 4 rooms, leading to a relatively civilised experience, despite one of the groups being a stag party.
Maybe one of my foibles, but I always judge the cleanliness of a place by it's toilets- spotless. Amazing how many places don't bother with cleaning their loos- I dread to see some of the kitchens.
When I woke up this morning and went downstairs, the smell of garlic just from my jacket was stunning-but I love garlic :)

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
guildford
“Worst place to go”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

no music, no atmosphere, terrible customer service, flat warm drinks served, expensive for poor quality, food served as baby portions, bland no tasting food. Worst choice to go ever!

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Consistently Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My Sichuan needs a spot of redecoration, though its housed in one of Oxford's hardest-to-use buildings so this is not a surprise. However, the food is consistently delicious and by far and a way the best Sichuanese food I've had outside China.

A recent menu revision has seen a few more traditional Chinglish dishes added to the menu, but it's still got lots of unusual offal and fierce chilli.

Prices may sometimes seem high, but portions are generous and the quality is high. Ignore the nay-sayers; they're just disappointed they can't get spring rolls and lemon chicken (which they may well be able to - never bothered to look).

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great Chinese food in a really interesting setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My Sichuan has a really long menu with really strange photos next to the food but all of it is very, very, very good. It's super popular with the Chinese population/students in Oxford, which suggests to me that it might be the real deal, or close enough. The setting is very pretty - in the old school house, which possibly amplifies sound; it can be really noisy on weekend nights.

It's a little on the spicy, greasy side so if you're not comfortable with fiery food, it may not be for you. Also, the photos are misleading - ask the waiters for their input, they're very helpful, as long as you can understand them :)

• Visited June 2013