“My taste buds are still buzzing...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“My taste buds are still buzzing...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Many years ago I bought a Ken Hom cookery book in a second hand store. I found that 1/4 of the dishes in it were "Sichuan" and they were all the freaky but really tasty ones. This restaurant epitomises that book. The staples are all on the menu for the cautious, along with more western-taste focused fixed menus, but if you love trying really different, authentic Chinese cuisine, stray on to the rest of the menu.
I have been only once so far but I will be back, because the food rocked. It felt a bit odd to be in a crowded restaurant in Oxford and be the *only* westerners eating there, but I loved the place. The staff couldn't have been more patient or kinder. This restaurant rocks.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

oxford, UK
“By far the best in oxford”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

It had been some time since we were last here and were very happy that it's as good as ever. The original menu has been made more western friendly with added pictures and reduced in size a bit. The staff are still quite hard to understand especially when it's busy an loud, but that's half the fun. Other reviewers have moaned about the menu being weird and full of offal, we that's real Sichuan food for you. If you want sweet and sour pork go somewhere else.

Our favourite dish is still the spicy calamari which if you're not careful will blow your mind out with the amount of dried chilli on the plate, but just eat the squid and your mouth will love you.

London, United Kingdom
“Unbelievable, authentic Szechuan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

How did this place land in Oxford? - it is simply the best Szechuan in the UK, don't neglect it! When I first moved to Oxford I moaned about the lack of decent Chinese food - then I tried the house specialty fish in chilli oil!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chengdu
“An amazing Chinese restaurant packed with Chinese customers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

A lovely restaurant set in beautiful Oxford.
The service was efficient and friendly and the food came quickly
The food was fantastic! We lived in chengdu, Sichuan province for a year and we knew exactly what to look for. The food was authentic, spicy (but not too much) and tasted delicious.
I would recommend the gung bao chicken and mapo tofu.
Was quite expensive for a Chinese meal but well worth every penny
I can't wait to return

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Awful food and service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had read great reviews about this place so decided to try it on a weekend to Oxford. What an utter disappointment. The menu is so hard to navigate, all pictures, all sideways writing. We spent about 20 minutes reading and re-reading it to decide what we wanted, it was exhausting. So many of the dishes are off the wall, offal, strange animals. We just wanted chicken, beef, prawns etc, although seafood is very expensive. We finally decided on food. My partner's dumpling were delicious and the only good thing about the meal. I had a hot and sour soup which was grey, had no flavour and no meat, just tofu. Not very enjoyable. Our mains were rubbish and swimming in oil. Sichuan chicken was passable, Sichuan pork slices were disgusting. Basically streaky rashers. There was more fat than meat on them and I spent the whole meal pulling fat off. When the waiter came to clear it away I told him there had been a lot of oil (a sickening amount in fact) and he just stated that all chinese food is oily. I have never had one this bad! Then to top the whole meal off, the waiter spilt some of this lovely oil all over my partner's shorts as he was clearing the table. We then had stomach pains all night. Horrible meal and total waste of time.

• Visited August 2012