“Quirky but great” 4 of 5 stars

UK via France
10 attraction reviews
“Quirky but great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Bear can be very quiet in the winter or very busy in the summer. We visited on a lovely Sunday afternoon and sat outside. Great atmosphere of people just enjoying the location and beer.

Visited August 2013

18 attraction reviews
“Old quirky and worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We popped in here for a couple of drinks after the stresses of punting for the first time..! Hadn't looked at any reviews and somewhat surprised as to the range of reviews on this site. Still taking it as we found had no complaints. Admittedly on a Wednesday lunchtime it was quiet but service was friendly and quick. The interior is authentic and quirky with an unusual collection of framed ties adorning the Walls, each one presumably with a story to tell! This place is basically a no frills old fashioned hostelry with a good range of real ales, yes the toilets are lacking in finesse and there is no piped music but personally prefer character to blandness. We went during our stay to the Turf Tavern and definately prefered this, quieter and less full of tourists ( although we were tourists ourselves..!).

Visited August 2013
Chesham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Simply An Average Bear...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

A casual recommendation as to where I could get a reasonable Oxford lunch, from a passing fellow cyclist, sent me heading to THE BEAR for refuelling -after 36 miles out from Chesham on cycle route 57. By the way cyclists, don't panic, the cobbled road en route, in the city centre, only lasts a couple of hundred metres.

Opposite The Bear, a heavily used set of bike festooned railing which could be seen from the bar enabled me to secure my steed and keep an eye on it, while I awaited my rib eye and chips...which they advised would take a while as they were busy. It took 30 mins. Average portions -piece of steak, 5 onion rings, a tomato and a dozen chips but no veg or salad included @ £17 . Eaton mess to follow, stuffed with strawberries and good!

My pint of shandy ( I was cycling, remember), plus food for one person, came to £27. Considering the averageness of the food, this was a tad expensive. The 'Grizzly Burger' on offer, would have been much better value.

A steady flow of tourists keep his place going, and have been doing so, since the mid 13c. A quirky faded tie collection fills wall spaces. The average fare filled my stomach space and set me up for my return back home - I cycled 71 miles that day. My memory of the Bear remains, strangely unfaded...it's better than the average tourist trap. I don't think I made a boo boo in my visit.

P.S. for those of you who spotted the references to a certain cartoon character, thank you for bear-ing with me. To anyone else, apologies.

Visited July 2013
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“The Bear - disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Visited on a Saturday lunchtime. Busy, but not overly so. Bar staff inattentive and service incredibly slow. Food ok (but nothing special) but very slow to arrive. Toilets smelly. Not much of an attraction.

Visited May 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Bear”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you are visiting this pub, the chances are it is due to its history connections. I won't bore you with the history. Ales average and expensive .Very bad smell in pub .Open all doors please, Garden tables in back next to rubbish bins . Expected much more

Visited May 2013