“Excellent base for an Oxford break.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Burlington House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oxford
Burlington House Hotel
You added Burlington House Hotel to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   374 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 7PP, England   |
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
“Excellent base for an Oxford break.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at Burlington House in a twin room with my mum, as my daughter was taking part in the ordeal that were Oxford University interviews. We were very impressed with the accommodation, ease of parking and accessibility to Oxford, via foot ( a brisk walk of a mile or so) or frequent buses. We received a very warm welcome and the twin room was clean, quite spacious and decorated in a modern "boutique" style. The en-suite was clean, the shower was great and we had plenty of towels. The owner was a great source of information about Oxford and the breakfasts were delicious. All in all, it was a pleasant two night stay and I would highly recommend Burlington House.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I've been meaning to write this review for ages. I've stayed at Burlington House several times over the years for work visits, and it's always been an absolute pleasure. Cute rooms (mine is a bit small but perfect for my needs), always spotless, a delicious breakfast and excellent service. It's really very easy to get to town by bus, and there's a great place to jog by the river nearby. I love the little hot cocoa and cookies they leave for me- I'm always a bit sad to leave!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bedford - UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Decided to take a day trip to oxford and found Burlington House and we are so pleased to have stayed here.

Very warm and welcoming from the start. Lovely huge rooms, with everything in them.
Great Breakfast with home made bread!
Highly recommend staying here and will be back very soon.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Burlington House is a cosy, well-run B&B with single and double en suite rooms, located in a residential area on one of the main thoroughfares north from central Oxford, Banbury Road. The B&B is in a renovated and extended three-storey house built in 1889. It was a pleasant and convenient base for my three-night stay exploring the charismatic town of Oxford and enjoying its buzz of community, university and cultural life, and for day trips by hire car into the Cotswolds and to nearby sights like Blenheim Palace.

The room was clean, serviced daily, and provided with tea and coffee-making facilities, late model flatscreen TV, fast and reliable free wi-fi Internet, and phone. Double glazing and good soundproofing ensured that traffic noise from Banbury Road was not disturbing. The en suite bathroom fitout was recent, including hand-held shower. Bed linen and bathroom provisions were good quality. Modern downlights were fitted in both the bedroom and bathroom.

Breakfast, with Continental and prepared-to-order English breakfast selections, was served in a small dining room adjacent to the ground floor kitchen. Self-serve fruit, juice and cereal – including the Burlington’s own home-made granola or muesli – was on the sideboard. The traditional breakfast menu was unremarkable, but prepared with exemplary care and attention to locally sourced high quality ingredients. Field mushrooms served one day were among the most flavoursome I have ever tasted; the Burlington’s own home-made bread was excellent.

The B&B is an easy short walk north of the three to four block-long commercial main street strip and local shopping centre of the inner Oxford suburb of Summertown, 230 to 750 meters south on Banbury Road. Several restaurants, including Indian and Chinese, and a Starbucks, located here, are convenient options for lunch and dinner.

Parking and private vehicle access in the narrow old streets of central Oxford can be difficult, so an Oxford Bus Company day ticket, costing £4, is a very practical and convenient park-and-ride option for Burlington House guests. The Oxford Bus Company runs a frequent double-deck bus shuttle service along Banbury Road, with a southbound bus-shelter stop just a few doors away, that takes only about 10-12 minutes to reach the centre of Oxford, near the Martyrs Memorial at Magdalen and Broad Streets. The day ticket can be purchased from the driver.

The Burlington House itself has a limited number of off-street parking spaces – only a half-dozen or so – and does not guarantee parking space. However I did not have to seek off-site parking during my stay.

Overall, The Burlington justified its high ratings in numerous reviews of UK B&Bs, and I also highly recommend it in this class of accommodation. It is not really comparable with hotels: it was as good as staying in the home of friends with generous accommodation for guests.

Room Tip: The above-ground rooms can be reached only by stairs - there is no elevator. Anyone with mobility pr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Parking is easy either on streets, as long as not monday to friday daytime. I parked in their car park. I had asked for a double room but had what I was told was their last single. Apparently they then had some rooms available but they don't think to call people and offer an upgrade - I would have paid for it.

The walls are thin - probably partitions in the single room I was in. I could hear my neighbours on either side. However, nobody was noisy at night. Staff were pleasant. Breakfast would have been better had we been offered the option of toast instead of having to ask for it. Normally that comes as standard with a cooked breakfast. Portions were small, but good. Meaning nothing was wasted, and extremely good quality.

Easy to get bus into Oxford. £3.30 return trip. Would go there again, if double room available.

Room Tip: I would presume the bigger rooms are better.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We came here for business and pleasure and stayed two nights.

Although it is about a mile and a half outside Oxford it is conveniently situtuated on the Banbury Road with excellent bus services into the City centre - remember to buy a 24 hour bus pass.It is also well placed for Summertown's bars and restaurants. There is also convenient free parking on site which in Oxford is a real bonus!

Overall it is comfortable although the decor is bold and not perhaps to everyone's taste. Showers are adequate and our room No 7 was spacious and despite facing the road was quite quiet.We felt the room especially the bathroom could have been a little cleaner on our arrival and until we opened the window there was a rather stale smell.

A high point of the hotel are the breakfasts which are really delicious with excellent homemade granola and bread delicious cooked food and prompt service. If time is tight be prepared to arrive at breakfast promptly as when the hotel is full there are more guests than breakfast room tables!

Overall this is worth considering as an Oxford base because it represents good value in a city where staying is generally expensive.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front face the busy Banbury Road so perhaps ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bishops Stortford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I would like to point out before I begin this review that I am basing my results on other comparable establishments we have visited recently.
Unfortunately this hotel was a little disappointing and didn't meet our expectations of 5 star. We arrived at lunchtime on the Friday and was greeted by a gentlemen who appeared to be in an awful rush, and felt we were maybe an inconvenience. We were shown to our room which was very, very small, although we had been warned it was a small double we hadn't expected it to be so claustrophobic. En suite was a wet room, not our cup of tea. No bath sheet only a bath towel provided, I do like a nice large towel or bath robe to wrap around, although toiletries were of a nice quality.
Our room was in the annex a courtyard away from the main house, you could hear the traffic from the main road which was not an annoyance to us but could be if you are a light sleeper.

Breakfast was expertly cooked with lovely produce although choice was limited when I compare to similar establishments. The young lady who served us was very accommodating and pleasant but was the one and only waitress and was extremely busy and inevitably was not on top of everything. There are 12 rooms in this hotel and the small dining room only caters for 6 rooms at a time therefore it was a matter of chance if there was a table available when you arrived for breakfast, if not you had a wait for one to become available since hotel was fully booked.
Location of this Hotel was almost perfect with a very efficient bus service just outside the front door into Oxford city centre. I would choose to stay here again (if they would have me after this review) just for the location and with maybe a room in the main house, although not for a long stay as it felt very impersonal, not quite a bed and breakfast with the homely qualities and not a hotel with the facilities you expect.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Burlington House Hotel? Share your experiences!