“Comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Oxford

You added Holiday Inn Oxford to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Oxford
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Peartree Roundabout | Woodstock Road, Oxford OX2 8JD, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Recently arrived back from our second stay at this Holiday Inn. Although at first the location seems strange, access to the city centre is fairly easy. You can either get a taxi (taxi from Oxford train station to hotel cost us £11.50) or a park and ride bus service literally over the road. The latter is very handy and the bus runs fairly late too.

In comparison to other Holiday Inn's this is fairly new, with a presentable reception area. Room was basic as expected, but had everything you needed, including 20+ TV channels to keep the children enteratained. Although the fridge is empty, it is handy for storing drinks/food.

We ate in the restraunt on the first night, booking it as we arrived. Meals weren't the greatest, but the service was good. My son had the best meal, which was the chicken fajitas, very nice!
Breakfast was on the other hand very good.

We were impressed with the health club. The gym is spacious with plenty of machines, both times virtually empty. Spacious changing rooms, simple swimming pool with sunbeds, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. I think fitness classes were also available too!

On the whole, it was an enjoyable stay and just what we exepected from Holiday Inn, would recommend.

Room Tip: The bar outside is very relaxing on a hot day!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

We had planned to use the Spirit Health Club at the HI Oxford for my wife's birthday. This deal included two spa treatments each.

We were called in the morning of the day - to be advised that due to staff illness, the day would have to be cancelled. I empathised with the staff, however, this caused us a majot inconvenience, since we'd both booked this day off work.

I asked for some form of concession (lunch voucher) but all they could offer was access to the facilities, nothing more.

I must say, having stayed in many HIs before, this is very bad customer service. I only hope that the other clubs don't offer the same policy.

Avoid if you expect good customer service.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Kettering
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here for one night then held meeting. Conference rooms were really good, would definitely use again. Guest room was average at best - newly refurbished and have plasma hd tvs now ( one of best seen recently). Bed and pillows were not comfortable at all. Rest of room felt cheap in terms of furniture and fittings. No safe. Wifi was £15 and slow. Breakfast was very average - lots of grease. I would be tempted to walk across the car park to Starbucks! The hotel does have a good leisure complex and pool though. Location isn't great if you want a romantic getaway. By a34 dual carriageway, welcome break style service station and travelodge. It's a couple of kills outside if the city, but you could walk over to the park and ride bus which would be better than trying to park in the city. Free parking too. Overall it's ok hotel but not special.

• Stayed March 2011
Fredrikstad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Located in a field squeezed between a petrol station, a roundabout and a motorway, this modern, soulless hotel is a long way from Oxford centre. Its tacky style is confirmed when you arrive by a little loudspeaker placed over the entrance door that pumps strained muzak at you.

We arrived late evening at the reception desk after a tiring journey only to be told that they had no record of one of our bookings, and that they were fully booked (the implication was that we would have to go elsewhere). It took nearly half an hour of despairing waiting to discover that it was the hotel's fault - they had erroneously booked in my colleague already as part of a group booking, and therefore couldn't find his name. The person who had been given his room was then disturbed twice by phone asking them to move to another room, since they had been given the wrong grade of room. Naturally they refused, since it was 11pm. Eventually the reception desk had to "steal" a room from a guest who hadn't arrived yet, taking a chance that he would be a no-show. Who knows what happened to him.

This hotel charges an outrageous £16 per day for internet access in your room, which is cable only (and the cable was missing too, in both our rooms, which involved another trip to reception). You can forget about using your state of the art Wifi device -- Macbook Air, iPhone, iPad, or Galaxy tab, since there isn't any Wifi in your room, only in reception, which isn't a place you'd want to work. There is a PC on a desk in reception, but you have to pay (!) to use that too, and there isn't even a printer attached to it. Forget about printing out your boarding passes or business documents. Oh, of course, reception will print them for you, but that involves all the hassle of sending them the documents by e-mail (not very easy when you're trying to print a boarding pass from a website) and then you have to pay 20p per sheet printed! This hotel's message to business travellers is clearly: go away.

(Incidentally, I lost a large document I was working with on the net on the second morning, because I tried to save it at the precise instant when my first 24-hour period of net access expired, and my connection was cut off. Be warned!)

We were tempted to eat in the restaurant on the first evening of our stay. The restaurant opened at 6pm, and we arrived at 6.30pm, as the first guests. The waitress with glasses very officiously announced to us "We're extremely busy today," almost reprimandingly, when she heard that we hadn't booked in advance. And it was quite clear that they were rushed off their feet -- I glanced around and every single one of the 30 tables was empty. There wasn't a soul to be seen! Seeing me looking around, she retorted, "We ARE expecting a big group later." No groups ever materialised for the duration of our meal -- perhaps 6-7 other guests. She certainly knew how to make us welcome! (We ate out on the second two nights -- but you'll need a taxi to the centre.)

The food was mediocre to put it mildly, bland, tasteless and watery. A glass of wine was included in our meal, but when we asked what kind of wine it was, we were given the choice of "white or red." Our tasteless red wine arrived at a temperature of 23C, instead of 18C, in a tiny glass, and virtually undrinkable.

The following morning's breakfast was good, but overshadowed by the worst coffee I have ever tasted: dishwater is the only description. And on the second day, we weren't able to get the waiter's attention to order a coffee at all, finally getting one as we left the breakfast room on our way out.

Mini bar in room: None (well, actually, empty). But you do get a free Mars bar (on the first day only)
Bathroom: nice and clean, nice soaps and shampoos
Airconditioning in room: didn't work, only pumps out hot air (you can open the windows, but remember there's a motorway outside)
Car parking: large car park, but a silly code system that will have you running to reception to find out the number
Room standard: standard rooms below par, very basic furniture; "executive rooms" (remember, you can't get wireless net!) are almost up to standard European level.

This is a mediocre hotel catering to mediocre needs and not for the business traveller who clocks up a lot of miles in a year and needs to get work done between meetings.

Sorry, I won't be back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

We had a family room which was a good size, complete with a super HD TV. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was spotless & well equipped.
The staff were courteous at all times. We were also offered a 20% Priority Club discount on all food/drink purchases.
Parking was free, but barrier operated as the nearby Travelodge does charge for parking!
My daughter & I enjoyed the health club which had all the facilities.
Overall, we left this hotel content & well rested and wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I had doubts about this hotel because it is on such a busy trunk road junction - but on checking in for three nights and requesting a quiet room, I had nothing to fear. I was allocated an excellent room, with almost no external noise at all, and an excellent standard of amenity and cleanliness. Easily the best HI I've stayed in for along time, with excellent staff and service levels. I particularly recommend the bar and bar food - wide range and promptly served.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

The room was clean and spacious, all the staff - reception, restaurant, conference were efficient and welcoming. I have stayed at far more expensive hotels an been less inpressed.Two days after leaving< i realised that I had left my Blackberry charger in the hotel. Housekeeping was again very pleasant and efficient - they fold the charger and arranged for it to be sent to my home (at a cost to me, which is reasonable) and I received the carger 2 days later. I would definitely stay at this hotel again next time I am in the area and as a result I am more likely to use Holday Inns generally.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Oxford? Share your experiences!