“Noisy” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 London Road | Headington, Oxford OX3 7RE, England   |
Ranked #31 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
“Noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night and it was enough. Check in felt rushed and we weren't shown the room. Night time was soooo noisy, we were listening to others conversations and tv choice, heavy bangs during the night. Bizarre place, weird atmosphere, we felt like we were intruders!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Think of Dial as a good place for a utility visit. You probably won't meet the owner as with other B&Bs, and you may be underwhelmed by the setup. There were mainly international students when we stayed. Our room was on the street side, and was pretty noisy from the bus stop out front. If you want the bus stop, then go big - this is for you.

Pros
-Nice breakfast in a big dining room
-New bathroom fixtures
-5-6 parking spaces up front
-Easy access from highway

Cons
-Impersonal staff
-WiFi didn't make it to the top floor
-3 flights of stairs up to our room
-Plumbing was noisy, we were kept awake with a whining sound whenever the water flowed in the next room, which seemed to be all night long.
-No wash cloths, but this seemed the norm in some B&Bs we stayed at.

Room Tip: Ask for backyard side of building to avoid street sounds.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed one night when unable to get into my usual accommodation, found this on the internet.

First impression was of a slightly shabby house, the carpark is very tight for modern cars and the lines need repainting. Front door opened by a Chinese girl who appeared to have no English which was a surprised, but the person who booked me in spoke fluent English. The hall is again shabby, and looks into what I assume is the owner's lounge and beyond that into a fitness suite which appears to be run as a separate business as there is an 'A' board for it at the front. Slightly off-putting to see people working out!

The bedroom, at the back, had a view over the roof of the extension so I couldn't see the garden, but it was roomy with two twin beds pushed together as a kingsize bed, and a zed-bed (folded away) a (slightly saggy) sofa but only one bedside table. The bathroom looked like it had been refurbished recently and was very nice. Both rooms were clean, but little things let it down like mis-matched bulbs in the lights over the bed, a TV attached to the wall 6 feet up, and painwork that needed refreshing to cover the scruffs & scrapes.

The bed was the real let-down. There were NO matress protectors, the sheet was straight onto the matress which did have some stains on it, and you could see and feel all the springs. Pillows were thin, hard and horrible,

Breakfast was good, help yourself buffet for cereal, orange juice and coffee, toast and tea to order. The cooked breakfast had decent bacon and sausage but horrible hash brown with grey potato!

Would I stay there again? Probably if I couldn't stay at my usual place. Value for money? I paid £98.00 which I consider very expensive for a guest house which was nothing out of the ordinary - but this is Oxford in the tourist season!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We just completed a 10 day stay in Oxford at The Dial House. From the first email sent to the goodbye yesterday, we were very satisfied with the staff, accommodations and location. We had great breakfasts every morning. The rooms were very clean and nicely furnished. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating. We had a family emergency that required us to stay two extra days. The staff found a room for us and took care of getting us in the room first thing in the morning. Thanks Dial House team form making our stay in Oxford a great one!

Room Tip: Conveniently located in the Headington Shops area of Oxford, UK
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We booked this guesthouse last minute for the bank hols weekend as we really struggled to find anywhere with availability. We were greeted in a very strange manner, rude and short is how I would describe it. We then walked up the stairs to our room, and the place was just absolutely filthy. We were so worried that our room would be in the same state but actually found the room was clean and did the job. As I say, if you just want a bed for the night. with buses outside straight into Oxford then this is for you. If I was to go again, I would probably stay at the Premier Inn over this even though its much further out! Breakfast was shocking too with really rude service again.. This really would be a last resort stay!

One positive.. the bathroom appeared to have been recently done so was of a much higher standard then the room and hotel itself!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I planned on staying here for a few weeks while taking a hiatus from work so I could write. Checking in was fine, and though the staff was a little short, they were professional. I didn't have any complaints, though the place isn't glamourous, until I became ill a day or two into my stay. I was running a fever and debating finding a doctor, but in no shape to walk around and find a place to eat. I pulled out my laptop and found a place that would deliver food, when I noticed that guests weren't allowed to have food in their rooms. I called the manager and asked if I could be an exception since i was ill, but I was told that policy forbid it. I missed breakfast (only a two hour window) because I was sleeping two mornings in a row and literally went three days without eating. I had to cut my entire stay short and go back home because i was so weak.

In short, this place is ok, my complaint had to do with my illness, but I think I would look elsewhere.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Large house converted into guesthouse. Has a gym on back which quite odd whilst booking in seeing people working up a sweat...!

Rooms large and very clean. My double bed actually two singles pushed together, but even so had a wonderful nights sleep. Bathroom very modern white suite with plenty hot water, also plenty tea coffee in rooms.

Only gripe is breakfast served from 830... When we were leaving at 750 for work. When asked if we could have something bit earlier, lady said could put fruit yogurt and possibly croissant on dining room for us. (we think we the only guests staying today)

Other than that this place is very nice, especially as only couple minutes from the university where we are working today.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Dial House? Share your experiences!