“Such value for Oxford” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Milton Keynes
“Such value for Oxford”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I go to Oxford often, so I know it, but I rarely stay over because of the costly hotels. I needed to stay on a Saturday, and decided on this one as it was within walking distance of where I needed to be (not to be sniffed at in Oxford). It is easy to find, and has a good car park. When I booked, I asked for one of the back bedrooms- it is a busy road out the front, and even at the back you will hear it. If you are a very light sleeper, take plugs or dont go! The room was spacious enough for me and one night, and was clean and tastefully appointed. The bathroom was small but well done, with a good shower, and decent toiletries. Bed was good and pillows not bad. The breakfast was served in a lovely area with, and here is the value plus, freshly squeezed juice and excellent, real, strong coffee. I think there was free wi-fi, but I didnt use it. There was fruit, croissants and the real English. It is easily walkable into Oxford, or on a bus route. The staff were friendly and helpful, and I have it marked down to stay again- I paid £85, a colleague paid £159 elsewhere in Oxford and did not have all that I did. I will return.

Room Tip: Light sleepers- go for the back; very very light sleepers, don't go. Top floor back would be bes...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed as a party of 8 for work. I have to say the location was extremely convenient, situated on one of the main roads of Oxford. Nearby is everything you needed really, supermarkets, fashion stores and cafés, pubs and restaurants. The room itself was just gorgeous with stunning details. Ample parking and the shower and bed were absolutely fantastic. Would definitely stay here again. The juicer at breakfast was a personal highlight.

Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Galaxie is conveniently located to Summertown with easy access into the Oxford city center. The check in process was a bit lengthy with the receptionist taking her time to firstly locate our reservation and then show us to our room. The rooms are fairly basic but are kept clean and tidy. The restaurant area was nice, light and airy with a good breakfast selection. Overall it was very functional, value for money and I would stay again.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Reasonable small hotel on a very central road. It is clean and quiet (in the evening as during day its on a main road to oxford town centre) and very convenient location for oxford. Feels like its family run and the breakfast was pretty good which was a nice different from most hotels I stay in for work.

Wakefield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here in September and chose this hotel mainly due to its location on Banbury Road. Easy to find and easy to get out of Oxford again.
Stayed on a Sunday night and as stated by another reviewer, no paperwork to complete, simply shown to our room. The elderly lady on reception just managed a "hello" to my partner only, but that was the end of the conversation.
From the outside it is a traditional brick building - use Google Streetview - but our room on the second floor at the front was a complete contrast. Suspended ceiling, concealed surround lighting, granite worktops and an ultra modern bathroom with a glass panel serving as a door, so no privacy which may be a problem for some - do you really want to hear your other half at the toilet? This was a huge room with a breakfast bar, sink, microwave and fridge which we assume is normally for self catering guests. The room was clean and comfortable except for the microwave with the remnants of the last occupant's food.
The windows are original sash type, single glazed and the road noise is horrendous. Passing buses - frequent on this road - do not allow for any relaxation and people walking past are clearly audible well after midnight.
As others have said, plenty of eating places within a couple of minutes walk in the Summertown area which is a pleasant area.
After a sleepless night we went down for breakfast at 8.50am. Not having been told that breakfast finishes at 9am we were instantly shown a table and by the time we had a quick look at the marine aquarium in the dining area, then the buffet to see what there was, our tea and coffee was waiting for us. The fastest service ever! For the next 10 minutes the staff raced around clearing, cleaning and resetting the tables around us ready for the next day's breakfasts. Just not what you need for a relaxing start to the day on holiday.
Check out was in the same vein, rushed and chaotic.
In summary - Bad points: no welcome; no information; terrible road noise; no bathroom door; rushed service.
Good points - large comfortable room; location very convenient.

Room Tip: Unless you are deaf, do not take a front room!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hotel is a good base for a stay in Oxford. Rooms are comfortable if small (though traffic is noisy - take earplugs or ask for a room at the back!) Staff helpful and pleasant - lovely conservatory area for breakfast for which they provide a variety of good food and a beautiful garden to sit in. Restaurants in Summertown within walking distance and a bus stop just outside from which frequent buses go into Oxford centre so you can leave your car in the hotel carpark avoiding traffic and hefty parking charges.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the building
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights on business, whilst working nearby. Overall, it was more than satisfactory; good points include:
* The location in Summertown is great. On the main road (Banbury Rd) so it's easy to get into Oxford by bus (or in my case, out in the other direction by bus). There are lots of nice restaurants within 5-10 minutes walk, at least one pub and plenty of shops.
* The garden out the back is delightful. Me and my colleagues bought a bottle of wine from the (very nearby) supermarket and sat in the garden on a sunny evening for a pre-dinner 'meeting'. Very civilised.
* The room I had was nicely decorated in a fresh, modern style, and the shower room was large, clean and well lit with a big mirror and good toiletries.
The not-so-good:
* When I arrived, there was no-one at reception but I could see a young woman sitting through the doorway to the rear of the desk. She looked at me and carried on talking to someone else inside the room. I tried to attract her attention and she just looked at me and pointed back into the room (presumably at her colleague). A few moments passed and her colleague eventually came out and 'checked me in' - asked me my name, gave me a key and pointed me towards the lift. No paperwork was exchanged, I didn't sign anything or hand over a credit card or payment of any kind. Very odd and all rather offhand.
* The room itself was very small - the double bed took up most of the floor space, with just enough room to walk around it. The 'desk' (which I needed as I was there on business) was shelf along one wall. As a 5ft/152cm woman, I could actually function ok in there, but a six foot rugby player would definitely struggle!
* My room (on the 2nd floor) was to the side, with a view of walls and car park. Looking out of window allowed me to look directly into the room at right angles! If I had needed the windows (i.e. in warmer weather) it would have been very noisy - both from traffic noise and people entering/leaving the hotel car park below.
This could be a really nice place to stay, but the staff need to be a little more on-the-ball and I recommend ensuring you get a large room at the rear.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back avoid road noise and look over the lovely garden
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Galaxie Hotel? Share your experiences!