“Becoming a convenient home from home in Oxford” 5 of 5 stars

The Oxford Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Godstow Road, Oxford OX2 8AL, England   |
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Geneva, Switzerland
“Becoming a convenient home from home in Oxford”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel 6 or 7 times over the last few months, on stays ranging from one night to three nights.

As I put in my original review I think the staff are great, even if there is a mistake or it is a bit slow the friendly service often makes up for it. This spans across front desk, bar and dining room staff. I think with an upgraded room the hotel offers good value for money, they have always been very clean. I have to admit I prefer the premium rooms on the ground floor by reception. If you are here for leisure then I guess the 1st floor rooms may be better but I prefer the short walk to and from the gym and the bar, and also to reception when checking in/out. Where possible whenever I have asked for one of these rooms the staff have put me in them, great service.

My major criticism in my earlier review was the restaurant. In my subsequent stays it continued to be terrible – I recall asking for a glass of Prosecco, which after a lengthy delay eventually arrived. The look and taste was certainly not prosecco, but it was served in a tall sparkling glass. When I asked the waitress she didn’t think there was anything wrong in telling me that they had run out so she gave me something else instead. Had I been asked I may not have minded this, but the idea that I may not notice the difference between a bubbly prosecco and a dry white was actually quite funny.

I actually grew to quite like the ‘Fawlty Towers’ escapades that I knew were guaranteed in the restaurant. After a busy day of client meetings if was often a good way to unwind, knowing I would be able to have a good laugh about something. I grew to expect and accept it. Unfortunately things seem to have improved. A new restaurant manager is on board who not only seems to have shaken the kitchen up a bit but is also friendly. The last two restaurant visits were very good, although I did only have caesar salad, so maybe I should order something more challenging next time.

Will continue to stay here largely thanks to the guys on the front line who always make the effort. Not to forget the gym guys, last 3 or 4 spin classes have been very good, just remember to book up before you go as they are always full.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
oxfordgm1, General Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate all Tripadvisor traveller feedback and review all the comments made. We are all very pleased that you have come to enjoy so many aspects of The Oxford Hotel and that you wanted once again to compliment the service delivered by the team here, our Premium Bedrooms, the Leisure Club and Spin classes. Thank you for all your comments and we hope you enjoy your next Restaurant experience too. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Thai first
Leyland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Clean and tidy hotel, nothing to shout about. Rooms are adequate but walls a bit thin. Just your run of the mill modern conference venue style hotel. Bar area got a bit noisy when the football was on. Food portions could have been bigger (just 7 chips with my steak!) Free basic wifi was a bonus.

• Stayed June 2013
oxfordgm1, General Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for posting your review - we value and fully review all Tripadvisor traveller feedback and we are pleased that you wanted to share your comments. It is good to read that you enjoyed our cleanliness and free wifi and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Another good stay in a Puma Hotel, The Oxford Hotel is spacious and comfortable with attentive staff. Very convenient for the city centre, we chose to use the park and ride at Pear Tree which is only 1 mile away across the roundabout, 2.00 to park and 4.50 return for us both which is very reasonable considering we paid 6.60 to park for 2 hours in Oxford when we first arrived. There is also a bus stop down the road from the Hotel which runs every 20 mins.
Breakfast was good with everything a breakfast buffet usually offers in a nice bright dining room. When we arrived we noticed the light over the shower was not working and just as we were about to report it a gentleman turned up to fix it....very impressed.
We are members so received an upgrade to premium with lovely big bed and papers each morning, but where were the robes, slippers and chocs as stated on website? Didn't affect a good stay as I only realised this when we returned home??? Would stay again should we visit Oxford in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
oxfordgm1, General Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for all your comments. We are all pleased that you enjoy your Leisurebreaks Club and selected The Oxford Hotel for you visit. We appreciate you complimenting the comfort levels, breakfast and attentive staff. Apologies for the items not in your room, this oversight would have been immediately rectified if the team had realised at the time. We do hope that you will return.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had four rooms booked at the Holiday Inn, Oxford but they called to say they were overbooked and they had put us in the Oxford hotel.
How lucky were we - The hotel is a very nice hotel, modern, lovely clean bathrooms and good size bedrooms. The outstanding thing about the hotel though are the staff. They are polite, really helpful and attentive.
The restaurant also deserves a special mention - had a beautiful meal - not as expensive as expected - and Mitchell, our young waiter was as lovely as the food.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is great to read that you enjoyed your visit to The Oxford Hotel, despite not originally planning to be here - and that you wanted to compliment the hotel generally, our cleanliness, your restaurant experience and especially the staff here. We do hope you will book The Oxford for your next visit to the area.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you are thinking of using this hotel for a spa day then dont. Its not the luxurious surroundings you would expect, there are two poor quality loungers on the side of the pool and thats it so toher guests had nowhere to sit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comment. The Beauty Rooms at The Oxford Hotel do offer a full range of treatments, along with packages offering use of our leisure facilities - sauna, steam, splash pool, fitness and squash. Additional seating areas, poolside and relaxation areas are very limited and we regret any disappointment caused during your visit.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed for one night. Lovely, modern clean. I'm particularly fussy about mould in bathrooms but this was totally free of any yuck. Food very tasty with good choice and reasonable price of about £15 for main course. Staff all polite and friendly with special mention to Mitchell who was attentive and professional.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is great to read that you enjoyed your visit to The Oxford Hotel and that you wanted to compliment our modern facilities, cleanliness, good food, value and our friendly staff. Greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

What to say??? For a four star hotel really pretty average, don't think you would be dissapointed or overly impressed. Good points were the bed, massive flat screen T.V in the room and the shower was quite good, the reception staff were very friendly at check in, as were the cleaners, waitresses and bar staff. Unfortunately the beer was crap and the food wasn't great and as usual for this type of hotel overpriced, but I thought the coffee at breakfast was exceptional. Only stayed for one night on business, would I return? maybe but may try another hotel in the area instead.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
oxfordgm1, General Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for all your comments. We are all pleased that you wanted to compliment our comfortable beds, TV and shower along with all the friendly staff you encountered across the hotel. We have a wide selection of drinks, food and services and we are well reputed as a good value hotel when compared to other similar hotels in Oxford. We do hope that you will return in the future.

Been to The Oxford Hotel? Share your experiences!