“Beautiful cloister” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 95 Attractions in Oxford
Type: Educational Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: New College, founded in 1379, is one of the larger colleges at the University of Oxford, and is particularly well-known for its Chapel and Choir.
Paris
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful cloister”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Beautiful chapel and cloister. You may remember the cloister from a Harry Potter film (Goblet if fire) when Draco is changed into a ferret by... Well you know who, don't you ?

Visited October 2012

Rockville, Maryland
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful architecture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I'll admit I'm a bit partial to New College as I was a visiting student there while I studied abroad. However, the grounds are breathtaking and my favorite photo spot is the cloisters. On a recent trip back I took my husband to see where I studied. In the garden/courtyard of the cloisters are these huge trees and underneath the awning of branches sits a rectangular table. The table has been there since I studied (10 years ago) and there is something quite unique about the juxtaposition of this item in nature. It was and still is, a favorite photo op.

Being early June, plenty of flowers were out and the lush greenery complimented the landscape. Definitely a must-see while in Oxford!

Visited June 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
12 attraction reviews
“Our Abode for Four Nights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

It was delightful to have a student room for our four nights in Oxford at this very old college. Apparently, I was in the old building. I loved the rooms, where had I been a student, I could have entertained several of my classmates or studied had a mind to do such.
There was excellent storage space with bureau and closet, small fridge sufficient bathroom with shower! I had a beautiful view out my window.
Our meals in the dining hall were well attended by others enjoying the New College facilities. Yet, we were able to converse with members of our own group. Everyone raved about the quality of the breakfast each morning. We even had a packed lunch for one of our outings! One meal was taken in the Undercroft where duck was served.
I loved the feel of the early morning walks that I had at New College.

Visited September 2012
UK
59 attraction reviews
“Wonderful architecture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

New College was planned to take the typical elements of existing Oxford colleges (the gated lodge, chapel, quads, gardens, numbered staircases) and blend them in a harmonious whole. Many colleges are a hodgepodge of different period buildings that have evolved into the usual style; New College was planned from the start, and built on a large plot of land that was an group of tenements left empty after the Great Plague, and a mass burial ground, so they bought the land for a song. The deeds included maintaining a stretch of the original city walls, which they have done wonderfully - they are checked even now, every three years by the city Alderman and Mayor, and they form the back drop to a wonderful garden. The chapel is beautiful and large, and there is a cloister that was used in the filming of Harry Potter. Well worth a visit

Visited September 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I am lucky enough to know people who have lectured at this college many years ago, and my grandparents and parents were married here. This college is on the most beautiful grounds and I have fond memories of it from when I was younger. A good college to visit if you're out and about in Oxford.

Visited December 2011