“Good value, quiet, clean, good location, and amenities” 5 of 5 stars

Royal Oxford Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Park End Street, Oxford OX1 1HR, England   |
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Los Angeles, California
“Good value, quiet, clean, good location, and amenities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Booked on line and was very happy. Staff at check in super, showed us where to go, provided easy map. Good location if coming by train, easy road which leads to everything. Beds comfortable, large room and bathroom for a family of 4. Temperature control perfect and quiet compared to expensive London Hotel. Some great restaurants and pubs a few blocks away. Had a nightcap in adjacent restaurant which was nice to have. In room Amenities included water, tea, coffee, fruit , mints, hair dryer, shampoo,soap lotion and am paper. No complaints!

Room Tip: We walked a flight of stairs, so if you don't want stairs get a first floor. There is also a sm...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

A one night stop including free wifi, very clean room and a large and equally clean bathroom.
A few hooks in the bathroom would have been appreciated when sharing a room (not everything can go on the door hook).
The reception lady was very accomodating and provided with all kinds of help.
The hotel is equipped with ac that came in very handy since it was the muggiest/hottest night of summer 2012.
Parking at a reasonable 5 GBP at the back of the hotel (same as Staples client parking look out for the signs) - kind of inside an adjacent building.
Bring your earplugs since the outside fans on the roofs/traffic from traffic and passers by might disturb.
The hotel is very central and around the corner there are different restaurants if you dont want to take the 5 min walk to George St.
By calling the hotel and booking over the phone we got a 10 GBP reduction of the price (prepaying by card) and clear instructions on how to find the parking space.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I am currently staying at the hotel for 1 night for a business meeting. It was one of the cheapest hotels (although Oxford is very expensive) I could find close to the train station that had reasonable reviews, but I must admit I wasn't expecting a lot and just hoped it would be clean.

When I arrived, there was a new receptionist who both talked me through everything I needed to know and also took my case and showed me to my room - she was very polite and helpful. The wifi is free (on it now) and password was offered during check in, no need to ask. There is complimentary fruit and plentiful tea and coffee making bits and it's better quality biscuits, teabags etc. and a good variety of herbal.

The room is clean, not new, modern or luxurious but plain and simple.. properly clean and not shabby and carpet stained as I sometimes come to expect. It has all the usual features plus a bath, which I was not sure I would get in a single room.

I was too tired for heading out to hunt down some decent food, the Italian menu for the Coco bar and restaurant downstairs looked pretty good so I ordered the napoli spag and garlic bread as room service and it was all homemade and actually delicious! It tastes like excellent quality ingredients, well seasoned and lots of flavour - eggs are free range etc. I had an elderflower presse (loads of mint, ice etc. very well made and refreshing) and latte which were both lovely and I am just considering dessert!! Room service has the same unrestricted menu as the restaurant and there is no tray charge unlike Novotel's £4 and the like.. food arrived within 20mins too.

Overall, I'm really pleased and would definitely stay here again. Although relatively basic it has everything I need, is nice and clean, air con, very good customer service which is also flexible enough to offer excellent room service and of course, lovely food.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
manchester united kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a twin room facing the courtyard at the back of the hotel and a family room overlooking the front. Both rooms were comfy with large bathrooms and efficient air con. The family room was large and sunny but if you were a light sleeper, you might find the outside noise from traffic a little disruptive. However, I slept well. The twin room at the back was very quiet. Found the beds comfy, the rooms very clean and as other reviews have said, lots of complimentary biscuits, fruit, water, teas etc provided free of charge. We already knew there was no parking at the hotel but found the park and ride very convenient with the bus stop right outside the hotel. However, the main plus of this hotel is the staff. They were friendly, helpful, really efficient and responded to every request we made straight away. It made us feel relaxed and very well looked after. I have stayed in more luxurious hotels but this must rank as one of the best with regards to customer service.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlooking the courtyard are quieter
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The Royal Oxford is a comfortable hotel. My wife and I loved staying there—we twice extended our stay our to 5 nights. But the place is not luxurious, nor is it swank. And while definitely not musty, it’s not new. There were some annoyances, but to our collective mind not worthy of downgrading from five stars. You might disagree. Read carefully...

The pluses: Comfortable queen-sized bed. Decent sized room (European standards must be applied); I could do full stretch yoga in AMs with no difficulty. Very pleasant Front Desk staff. Fresh fruit in room daily (and the apples were of good organic-style quality, none of your generic “Delicious” type). Two bottles of water (one still, one sparkling) daily. Fresh “biscuits” (packaged cookies) daily. Coffee and tea in room. Double glass windows keeping the city noise damped down (we live in a very quiet Los Angeles suburb, so are not used to “city noises”; we slept well from the first night!). It’s hardly quiet, but the harsh traffic sounds are muted; a few times I heard the boom of big vehicular sound systems, but I never heard a car horn sound. Nice sheets and pillows; towels were absorbent. Nice thick curtains to block out light at night. LOCATION (double plus): 3 minute walk from the train station, and centrally located for the rest of Oxford (e.g., less than 5 minute walk from the many restaurants on and around George Street. Even shorter to get on the very lovely paths along the canal and Thames.

The minuses: No elevator (lift). We were on the top floor, 2nd floor. We happened to enjoy the slight exercise, but others might not. The key—a real key, that one has to find the little key-hole to operate. And only a single key that has to be turned in at the front desk each time you leave. (THAT may be a positive, to me it was, since it afforded the chance for a brief visit with the desk staff). The toilet. I don’t know if our toilet was atypical or in special need of intervention (I certainly thought so, not so the hotel manager whom I only saw when I was pressing my point of calling a plumber). Perhaps there IS a trick to getting the damned thing to flush fully, but I never worked that one out. I’d have to say it was a 3-flush toilet.

Tip: we were in room 207, which is a corner room overlooking the open space toward the train station. That may have contributed to the feeling of spaciousness.

After intermittent rain on the first two days, the weather turned glorious. It had been a cold, wet summer and we soon saw folks everywhere sporting the pink badge of sunburn. Moods were bright, people garrulous. We were pleased to be in Oxford, and delighted to have the old Royal Oxford as our base.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed here with my two daughters for one night and we booked a triple room. On arrival we were met by a very pleasant and helpful receptionist who showed us to our room. The room was lovely and spacious with a very large, bright and spotlessly clean bathroom. There were also plenty of complimentary biscuits, bottled water and fruit and some little chocolates. The beds were comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. Only downside was that the front of the hotel was a restaurant and the main entrance to the hotel was round the side, not a major fault but made the foyer of the hotel quite small.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Atlanta, GA 30062
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

This is a 'little hotel that could.' What a lovely experience. Fruits, cookies and water were left each day (free!), plus chocolates. The room was always clean and tidy - soaps and shampoos replenished (5-star hotels have stopped doing this and charge for the food/drink)... Everything was fine - even the location across from the train station and it was within walking distance of pretty much all of Oxford... Reception was helpful and pleasant - oh, and English breakfast was included!

The only problem was the street noise - and clearly the hotel couldn't do anything about that. If you want peace and quiet, you better go to a hotel outside of town. Sirens, screaming party goers, etc. nearly every night. I'm not sure if another room would have made a difference...

My only other compliant is that we weren't told that there is a monthly BURLESQUE show downstairs (the last Sat. of the month). It lasted until 11:30, so it wasn't a tragedy, but I would have liked knowing about it when I booked (they told us on Fri. about the Sat, gig). And again, it really wasn't that bad.

If you're tired (and we were almost every night) the street noise won't be a problem...

Room Tip: Maybe get ear plugs?
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Royal Oxford Hotel? Share your experiences!