“Loved my stay here!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Loved my stay here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I stayed here for a conference and it was lovely. The rooms were very spacious and it had a very secluded atmosphere. It was close enough Oxford to walk there by the river, but it was in a very residential area. They took care of everything for the conference and provided wonderful meals and snacks. I hope to go back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights and it is a lovely relaxing hotel, extremely comfortable beds, staff are very professional and friendly, breakfast very good. Nice outdoor area to sit. Iffley Lock is a short walk down the road and very pretty.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Rochdale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We got the impression that this hotel was really trying to give good service. Our room had very poor wifi coverage and we were immediately offered another room. Generally the rooms seem spacious and well appointed. They are also kept clean and tidy. The bed was comfortable. Food in the recently launched Iffley Blue restaurant was good.

The location is great for visiting Oxford, leave the car and take the no.3 bus from the end of the road straight to the city centre. Of course you could always walk along the river into the city but then you may need to save your feet for the walk round.

Room Tip: Noise levels very much depend on where your room is (avoid being over the kitchens around rooms 215...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sandford-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We held my daughters wedding at hawkwell house and couldn't of asked for anything better. The venue was perfect, everyone enjoyed a lovely meal and evening BBQ. A special thank you to Gary the wedding organiser, who went put of his way to make the day special.
As we live locally we did not stay at the hotel, but returned for a good breakfast the next morning.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We recently spent some nights at the Hawkwell House Hotel. The hotel is located outside the city centre, there is a 5 minute walk to the bus which takes some 10 minutes to the centre.
Breakfast consists of a small buffet, and you order your English breakfast from the waiter. Lovely.
When we ere there, the breakfast room was rather crowded, but service was very good.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
cutchogue, new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

While visiting England recently, we elected to stay at the Hawkwell House Hotel on the outskirts of Oxford in Iffley Village rather than in the city itself. This was a very good decision since Oxford in July was overrun by hordes of foreign students - there to study English. We parked our car at the hotel and used buses to get to Oxford (20 minutes) - thus avoiding traffic and parking problems.

We had a lovely room with a sitting area overlooking the lovely gardens as well as a great bathroom. The staff, mostly foreign, was helpful and nice.

The hotel prides itself in having a great restaurant - we went there on our first night - it was good but not exceptional. The menu did not change during our stay. Breakfast, also served in the restaurant, was not great - particularly since the kitchen could not produce any soft scrambled eggs - when ordered, they arrived dry in a preformed circle having been cooked some time before!! On another night, we chose to have pizza and salad for dinner on the terrace outside which was lovely - the sun setting at 9:30pm!!!

Still, this was the right place to stay and, for the most part, we did enjoy it.

Room Tip: Choose 204 on top of the stairs - for those who have problems with stairs, there is an elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
wrecsam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

First impression of the hotel was it must be okay as there was a wedding party enjoying the sunny afternoon on the lawn. We booked in at reception and given a room to the back of the hotel, where we had to open a window to let some air in. I later asked if there was air con but as there wasn't we were offered a fan. Even though we were on the first floor, the ground to the back of the building was high, and had we left the window open, anyone could have crept in during the night.
The room was clean and basic but with no fridge and of course after our four hour journey we sat at the window to enjoy some air for a while. There were three off duty staff sitting to the side of the hotel window talking inappropriately about experiences they have had with clientele not using the seat of the toilet to sit on, and how they would stand on the seat instead, using very graphic language about the smell that was left after them and using language that should have been used in the staff room, and not on the grounds.
II didn't report it even though I felt that I should have as the language was actually coming from the female in the party and not the two male colleagues.
We booked a table for evening meal and along came two members of very polite staff with toasted bread and olive oil to dip the bread in. As I hate the thought of olive oil in this way I told both staff that the very thought repulsed me and yet when my very large flat, tasteless pizza came it was drizzled with olive oil and so I felt that the staff, even though very nice didn't actually listen to you. I tried to drip the oil off and eat what I could, but had to leave a third of it. I told the staff that it wasn't very nice and had oil on it. They asked if we wanted anything else but by this time I just wanted to leave. It cost twenty-eight pounds for a small fish and chips and this pizza and I was disgusted.
Breakfast next day was another experience. The dining room was full because of the wedding the day before and I had to wait for bacon and tomatoes, which by the time it came I didn't want it as I had had some soggy toast that was brought. It was margarine on the table and not butter and I couldn't drink my tea as it was over chlorinated. It was foul.
The milk was warm for the cereal, the fruit juice was reconstituted and not fresh, that too was warm and in way of cold buffet, there was one small table with cold meat and cheese and fruit, which was uncovered. You would be surprised how many people handle the bread to cut it even though there is a cloth to cover it when you handle it. I wouldn't touch it, and left completely unsatisfied.
The next morning we missed breakfast as the TV said that it was an hour earlier that it actually was. I thought that this was GMTV`s fault, but on checking the next day the time was an hour behind again, and so I must assume that this was due to a delayed timer throughout the hotel system. Needless to say, we missed breakfast even though I did phone reception to tell them about the time on TV they didn't advise me.
I have the feeling that the staff are paid to be polite, but obviously do not pay attention to detail and the needs of their guests. Its a job and they are mechanical in their work. I did have a feeling of contact with the local staff, but most of the staff were from other countries and they don't seem to have this close contact that you might have from someone who understands how us Britt's tick.
There is the need for people who are sensitive to peoples requirements and not this off putting insensitive modern method of you are the client, and I am at you service. People who are naturally friendly and not a painted on smile that stands out as being false.
The hotel might be close to the Thames, but the information gives you the impression that it`s a stroll through the three acres of land to the river.

The village of Iffley is lovely even though people park where they want to, that being on junctions. Would I go back to the Hotel. Yes, because of the location, but I would eat elsewhere. Eating out in Oxford costs an arm and a leg, and you have to shop around for smaller cafes and eateries for a bargain.
Do eat out at the rooftop restaurant at one of the museums, expensive, but ever so lovely with the views over the rooftops out into the countryside on a lovely sunny afternoon.

Did I like Oxford. Oh yes. Do go to Christ church college and take a city tour bus. It was lovely to see the graduates walking around in their cap and gowns. They must feel so proud of themselves and so must their parents.
It makes me feel that I should have tried harder at school. Good luck to them in finding the job that they have worked so hard for, it`s a zoo out there trying to find a job when there is so much competition with off shore workers coming into the country to work.

Wendy from Wales.

Room Tip: ask questions before you book
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hawkwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!