“Great Value and Large Rooms In Charming Setting” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
united kingdom
“Great Value and Large Rooms In Charming Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is an excellent value hotel with good facilities and food very close to the charming olde worlde Iffley Village and riverside walks. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped, the hotel staff helpful and the breakfasts are outstanding. Definitely worth considering if you are coming to Oxford for business or fun.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We wanted somewhere in the Oxford area for a short stay and the Hawkwell House Hotel fitted the bill perfectly. We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who suggested a lovely walk nearby to the lock and along the Isis river past the various boathouses. Our bedroom had a pleasant outlook and was peaceful and well furnished, plenty of hot water etc. We had a simple evening meal in the bar which was all we wanted and breakfast was great and there was a wide variety of choices.
Getting into the City was very easy on the local bus or we could have walked.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back overlooking the grounds.
Channel Islands National Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I booked this hotel for 8 of us for our annual family reunion. We chose to stay in the adjacent Elm House as there was a wedding party taking place on one of our days there and we didn't want to have too much noise. What a great choice, bed a little soft but I was so tired from all the lovely Oxfordshire fresh air I could have slept in the bath. Breakfast was excellent - buffet plus hot of your choice - delicious. Tea/coffee/biscuits/water in rooms. Ideal location 5 mins walk from bus route with buses every 15 minutes into Oxford - we also walked along the river bank and stopped off for tea and cake on the way. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Superb weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We held our wedding ceremony and reception at Hawkwell house in May 2013 - myself and my now husband could not have asked for more from anyone at Hawkwell House Hotel from the months of planning to the day itself all the staff at Hawkwell were outstanding! And i am self confessed control freak but nothing was too much trouble for them. I stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding and had a family room with my bridesmaids - the rooms are beautifully presented and exceptionally clean. On the morning of the big day the wedding planners were second to none and helped with all the last minute preparations without hesitation - we had planned to decide on the day whether the ceremony would be inside or outside - sadly the weather did not co operate so we had to opt against the outdoor ceremony in the end - the room that we used for our ceremony was flawless! I was overwhelmed with how beautifully presented it was!
The food for our wedding breakfast was exceptional - many of our guests commented on how delicious the food was and how timely everyone was served- we had a few guests with special dietary requirements and these guests were catered for perfectly and with out question - having made a point to check with the guests with special requirements they also said that they really enjoyed their meals also!
We moved into a different room for our evening reception as we were expecting extra guests in the evening and this room too was beautifully presented and the turn around between the two rooms was seamless. The wedding planners stayed with us all day and even went to fetch my evening shoes for me before they clocked off for the evening! I was hugely grateful for that!!
Many of our guests stayed in the hotel the night of our wedding and commented on how beautiful their rooms were, we also stayed in the hotel in the honeymoon suite for the night of the wedding and an extra night - the honeymoon suite was fabulous! We didnt want to leave!
Basically i cannot recommend Hawkwell House Hotel and their staff highly enough! Everyone we dealt with throughout my 4 days at the hotel were exceptional!
We definately plan to return for weekend breaks and hopefully for our anniversary next year!
HIGHLEY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I just want to say i could not have been more happier with the Hotel. I had a fantastic day as did all my guests. I left the hotel in charge of my centre pieces, sweet cart, table arrangements, with all arrangements left in the back of our van the night before. To my amazement they exceeded my expectations.

I had 4 vegetarians, 3 gluten free (1 being Dairy free) and a vegan. These were all well looked after, recieving the right foods who all thoroughly enjoyed their meals.
All of my guests were delighted with thier meals and loved the evening buffet which again set up at one end was all Dietary requirements labelled so this was well seen.

Accomodation- again exceeded expectation as did the morning breakfast. wide choice of variety with all staff welcoming.

Reception staff all very lovely, up for a giggle as you walk in. very prompt service.

Wedding planner did a splendid job again as did he do when my sister also got married here last year. First Wedding was also Fantastic and couldnt have been happier with our decision to choose the hotel again for ours.

Great Job!!
Would definetly recommend!!

Thanks again Guys!! xx

Room Tip: stayed in room 103,106,107,108 and 313.
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I attended my daughter's wedding reception at the Hawkwell. We had gone to great lengths to make sure everything was arranged correctly with the hotel.
Unfortunately the hotel did not follow our instruction as to the dietary requirements of one of our Gluten free guests.
I had sent several Emails beforehand and right up until the day to make sure my guest was catered for.
My guest became very unwell immediately after his meal and had to retire to his room for the rest of the day.
I reported this to the supervisor at the event early evening but was met with little response and denial that this should happen.
I spoke to the manager the next day who agreed to refund his room fee which was the least that they could do.
My daughter was most upset that this should happen to one of her guests on her wedding day.
I have since spoken to the manager due to his denial and response to my daughter's previous review of this hotel.If a mistake is made I feel they should have been gracious enough to accept it and apologise appropriately.
Other than this we had a pleasant stay and on the whole the hotel staff were very pleasant as were the rooms and surrounding area.
A little dissappointed that building works were taking place outside some rooms.

India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stay at Hawkwell atleast 4 times a year. The last one being May 2013. I never got down to writing a review though. This hotel is very good. The rooms are well kept and some of them are spacious. The breakfast is not buffet but the menu offers a good selection. Location is great and all staff are helpful. Have not had many meals so would not be able to comment on food quality.

Adding a gym will make this a perfect place to stay while in Oxford.

Back in July!

Room Tip: Not stayed in the outhouse but heard not very good. Go for the main Hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hawkwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!