“Bedroom as uncomfortably hot as the prices charged!” 3 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beaumont Street, Oxford OX1 2LN, England   |
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Truro, United Kingdom
“Bedroom as uncomfortably hot as the prices charged!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Great location, Neil the concierge - one of the best, fabulous towels and toiletries .
Beyond that, the bedroom was uncomfortably hot and the cooing pigeon outside of the window wouldn't go away.
For a Hotel boasting "Morse" connections in its bar, I was surprised that there is no real ale other than in a bottle.
The £3 credit card charge on the bill is endemic of the feeling of greed and poor value for money. (I did get ask for this charge to be removed and, it was).

• Stayed April 2014
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that Neil our Head Concierge was able to assist you during your stay. Here at the hotel we offer Molton Brown toiletries as standard throughout our bedrooms.
I am sorry that your room was too hot and you were inconvenienced by a pigeon. We have trialled various real ale in the Morse Bar over the years and there just was not the demand for it with stock going to waste. I shall be reviewing your comments with my Bar Manager and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
We do not charge for use of debit cards but there is a surcharge of £3.00 for credit cards. We are as transparent as possible with this charge and it is highlighted at booking stage and on our guest confirmation details.
I do hope that despite the shortcomings we will have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Michael Grange, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

we came for a couple of days to see the Cezanne exhibition at the Ashmolean. the Randolph is right across the road so that's why we chose to go there (we came by train). we were given terrific service from the second we came through the door. We had a lovely room with all the extras anybody would want - slippers, dressing-gowns, water, chocs, lovely little bottles in the bathroom etc etc. drinks and nibbles in the Morse Bar - essential prelude to an excellent dinner. Our bedroom was warm and cosy and the bathroom was a good size - both were sparklingly clean.
Just walking round the hotel is terrific - lots of lounges, little corners with seating, the glorious staircase. The staff are lovely - welcoming, friendly, efficient. Only downside - the local drunks congregate on the Martyrs Memorial across the road and can be noisy at night. get a room at the other side of the hotel, or pray for rain.

Room Tip: couldn't hear other people inside the hotel, but rooms overlooking the Martyrs' Memorial cou...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are indeed right opposite The Ashmolean Museum which holds regular exhibitions. We are the perfect hotel for visitors who wish to see the sights of Oxford as we are right in the heart of the city.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by drunks congregating on Martyrs Memorial. I shall be contacting the council regarding this issue. Being a city centre location we do experience certain levels of urban noise.
I do hope that we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.
Gloucestershire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My family booked 6 bedrooms for two nights to gather for an 80th birthday celebration weekend. We couldn't have chosen a better venue. The hotel is classy and special. Of course the quirkiness of the old building means each room and setting is a little idiosyncratic, and this of course is the part of the joy of the Randolph. We had a lovely quirky room, comfortable bed and excellent well equipped bathroom - If you want a cloned box hotel then go elsewhere.

Service was mostly excellent, and certainly was intended to be. When something was not quite right, staff ran to put it right when it was mentioned. Staff went out of their way to accommodate our celebration without inconveniencing other guests - complimentary champagne left in the birthday girl's room, reserving (against the policy but done anyway) a big table in a separate room for our birthday breakfast, making a room available after check out for the present giving.

Katy from the breakfast team went out of her way to resolve a couple of issues for us, and deserves a promotion.

The Randolph is bang slap in the middle of Oxford and we walked out to the Ashmolean, shops, restaurants, the river where we punted and to the bus tour which was well worth doing.

There is no finer or more interesting hotel in Oxford in my opinion.

Room Tip: We were high up in 403. World class view from a small window across the dreaming spires. Good sized...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for such a kind review following your visit to celebrate an 80th Birthday. I know the team will be most motivated and indeed Katie is a true asset at the hotel.

I am pleased that team were able to sort out any issues you had and I do hope that we may be of service to you and your family in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

After visiting this hotel for an afternoon lunch I find myself obliged to leave a review. The service was excellent and the staff were very polite. The food was cooked to perfection. I would personally recommend to all. Very good!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for posting a review. Here at the hotel we serve light lunches and refreshments in our lounge as well formal dining in our restaurant at weekends. We are a perfect location to meet family or friends right in the heart of the city. Pre-booking is essential as we can get very busy especially during the summer months.

I do hope we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Cabris, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Room ok-ish (not the best - completely broken settee!), but beware of your bill, they don't only add a 12.5% service charge they ask for an additional tip for the staff (don't they pay their staff!)! Imagine if you went into the supermarket and they added 12.5% service and then asked for a tip - would that be ok? If that wasn't bad enough they put a charity donation onto your final bill without even asking! Even the checkout staff said it was very naughty! Beware!!! There is commercialism and then, there is very naughty, and they are very naughty! And to just add insult, at breakfast after a 45 mins wait, we didn't even get asked or approached for our promised full English breakfast that we had paid for, not once by a waitress, completely ignored! We left in disgust hungry! We will never stay again! There is bettter!

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review. I am sorry that you are disappointed with certain aspects of your stay with us.

I am sorry for the service lapses you experienced at breakfast and I shall be personally speaking to the Breakfast Team about this. Here at the hotel we do have a flat rate for breakfast which allows guests access to the continental buffet and a la carte cooked breakfast. I am sorry that this was not followed during your time with us.

With regards to service charge, this is a completely optional choice and guests can have this removed from their bills. The charge is clearly highlighted on our menus and literature and we are as transparent as possible about this. The charitable donation is again completely optional and is auto generated on room accounts. We provide leaflets at the time of check in and I am sorry if you did not get one these. The team are trained to remove this at guest requests and we fully appreciate that guests support their own charities. There is no resistance by the team to remove this charge or the service charge.

I do hope that despite the shortcomings you may choose us in the future and indeed other Macdonald Hotels.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We recharged our batteries in a Junior Suite in the Randolph. A welcome and complimentary bottle of wine, 2 bottles of mineral water and chocolates in the room, with Moulton Brown toiletries and luxury towels in the bathroom. Our evening meal (I had lamb my husband chose sea bass) was cooked to perfection and the professional staff were charming and very helpful throughout our stay. Breakfast was an enjoyable feast. We fully recommend a stay here.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review following your visit to the hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the team will be equally pleased that we could be a part of your break in Oxford.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I stayed at the Randolph, again, for one night, attending a College Dinner. I cannot really complain about the price (easily West End level), since this is no doubt driven by the market. However, it is very expensive. £260 plus breakfast. I had a business class room as I know that they are better furnished and have air-conditioning. The only problem is that they are in the new part of the hotel, which takes about 5 minutes to walk there! Firstly, you go up to the first floor, around several corridors, up some steps, around two more corridors, back down to the ground floor again, around some more corridors, and eventually you find your room. The room is well furnished, and has an excellent bathroom with a big walk-in shower as well as a good size bath. The shower was slightly odd, in that the door handle is on the outside, so the only way to close the door when you are inside (there being no handle on the inside) is to pull it to from the top of the door. Even so, it let a bit of water out. The shower was powerful, but although it looked new, it was already leaking and water was spurting out in a horizontal direction. Excellent towels, however, really big bath sheets which I always think are a good sign.

Good work desk and free Wi-Fi. However, the air-conditioning was not working. When I asked at the desk about this, they said that it was “more of a cooling system”. I wasn’t sure of the distinction and said that my room was rather too warm, and I could deal with this by having the window open, but this let in noise. They said they would check and when I returned after my dinner, I found that a fan had been put in my room, on the floor, so clearly the air-conditioning had not been sorted out. It was thoughtful of them, however, to put in a fan, even though it didn’t really cool things that much. I ended up opening the window as the room in fact looks out over a courtyard, so was not particularly noisy.

One last point is that all the staff were very helpful and gave a good impression.

Room Tip: business rooms are nicer, but a long walk up and down!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for posting review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Accommodation in Oxford is at a premium especially at weekends. We operate a best available rate structure similar to an airline and it is always good to book as far in advance as possible to obtain more preferential rates. We do also offer seasonal promotions and it is worth looking at our website online at the time of booking.

I will be discussing your room issues with my Maintenance Manager and thank you for bringing these to my attention. The majority of our spacious, well appointed executive bedrooms are in the Worcester Wing which is a little distance from the reception desk but offered with every confidence that guests will be comfortable. We offer a comfort cooling system in our bedrooms and these are controlled and set depending on the season. I am sorry that your room was too hot when you stayed with us.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Michael Grange, General Manager

Been to Macdonald Randolph Hotel? Share your experiences!