“get an Executive room if you can” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beaumont Street, Oxford OX1 2LN, England   |
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“get an Executive room if you can”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We first stayed here 20 or so years ago...I am happy to say the charming things like the breakfast room decor and reception staircase are intact. They do seem to have given the place a much needed restoring/refreshing. We totally lucked out by reserving an Executive room that turned out to be in a newer building---it was very modern, fresh, brightly lit. Yes it was a seemingly endless walk there the first time, complete with 3 sets of steps due to level changes among the buildings. But we soon got used to it--it is only a couple of minutes' brisk walking. We did let the porters deal with the luggage, since there was at least one full flight of stairs to manage. If you have mobility issues, discuss room type and location when booking or at least upon checkin. We would certainly come here again and definitely get the same room. wifi worked very well, as did the cable TV. Housekeeping was ok. Breakfast was good, not great, with slow coffee service that was somewhat mitigated by the Nespresso machine in the/room. The bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: ask about stairs in the corridors to your room if those are an issue for you, even with the lift not...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I am currently writing this review from my room at the Randolph Oxford, using their complimentary WiFi (a definite plus!). Other advantages of this hotel are its superb location (close to the centre of the action and just minutes away from the Town Hall where my medical conference is being held) and its proximity to other locations such as the Ashmolean Museum and Oxford Playhouse. However. If you are looking for a 5 star luxury hotel, just hold back on your expectations a little. The building is extremely old. They have done the best they can with it, but it is certainly not a luxe, high-end hotel. The rooms are dark, drab and worn. The decor is satisfactory, but aged. However, what they lack in luxury, they make up for in service. I was misled by a third party web supplier and they booked me a single room (I was travelling for work) which was no bigger than a broom closet (room 342- stay away from it!!!!!); the single wooden bed made it look like a nun's bedroom! Not joking, wish I had taken a photo before I ran out of the room horrified and claustrophobic.... for which I had paid over 300 pounds a night!!!) I politely stated my concerns about the room and its view at reception, and with a bit of polite encouragement on my part, they eventually managed to move me to a series of different (I had to move each night of my 4 night stay!) but much better rooms. It's still not what you would expect for over 300 pounds per night, but it's University Open Days this week, so this may have influenced prices a bit. Thanks to Georg, Sara and Simona at reception for dealing with my requests regarding rooms. I would be happy to pay a bit more (on top of the already very expensive tariff) to change to these improved rooms, but hopefully they won't charge me since I have written a pretty nice review here of their services?!?!?! In summary, it's not what I would expect for the price, but it's the best you can get in Oxford and the location is excellent. The error I made in booking a single room was dealt with as efficiently as possible by the front of house staff, and they deserve congratulations.

Room Tip: Ask for an executive room in the newly (although still not that modern!) refurbished section. It'...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Had 02 nights in MacDonald Randolph Hotel in Oxford , from the moment we approached the front desk the 1st impression was great by a very friendly staff named Sarah , the room was up to the 5 star service in terms of cleanliness and the bath room was the same ! The restaurant breakfast was delicious , the service was efficient . The only thing to be mentioned in the negative side was the long way to the room but it was due to the age of the building which is truly historic (13th century) if I'am not mistaken. Wonderful experience !

Room Tip: Choose a room to be as close as possible from the front desk
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel is very central so this what you are paying for. Our room was in the back extention a really long walk down shabby coridors up and down stairs, we thought we would never get there.
Luckily we are still fit, though in our middle years.
The bedroom was new, clean, and a good size, that was up to standard. The reception area is small so a bit of a scrum if arriving like us at a busy time, while the bar area is also small. Watch out the the parking charge also, as they do not mention how much it is. Food also pricy for the quality.

Room Tip: Make sure you know which part of the hotel you are staying in
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great location, great building, good food, good service. On the other hand, strong, persistent musty smell in room, and lack of attention by housekeeping ( eg jug of milk, dirty glasses not cleared away despite us being away from our room for eight hours).

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

came here last october and will never regret it me, my wife and my 9 year old daughter came here to go to a cathy cassidy book signing (my daughter is a huge fan) and stayed in the randolph we were greeted with a friendly welcome smiling staff and a quick check in- which was just what we needed after the 1 and a half hour drive from our house in Knaphill in Surrey to Oxford.

the hotel is in an excellent location in the centre of oxford it is very clean and the food is delicious
luckily the rooms are very clean as my daughter got quite sick during our stay and we were able to stay in the room all day.

next time im in oxford i will most definetly stay here

Room Tip: dont get one near convention rooms as they may be noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
france
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel had lovely reception staff and friendly valets. However, only stay here if you want the feel of being in an oxford college - mustiness and all to boot. Plus point the hotel accepts dogs. However, the Morse bar is a little "cheesy" and the whole hotel looks like it needs a bit of refreshing. The room was rather small for the cost, the bathroom dated, the bath tiny and the view we had was terrible - brick walls... Great the little box of chocolate, but not enough to compensate for the overall fustiness.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Macdonald Randolph Hotel? Share your experiences!