“Good centrally located hotel” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beaumont Street, Oxford OX1 2LN, England   |
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
England
“Good centrally located hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

A group of us stayed for a hen weekend. We were very well looked after, and even had exclusive use of the spa on the Saturday morning. The spa has a range of steam rooms and a whirl pool. The best bit was the relaxation room, where you could properly relax and unwind.

The hotel catered for all we asked for, and made for a lovely break. The location was perfect.

Breakfast was (thankfully) included in the price, because I noted that it would've cost £19.50. It was delicious. I would recommend for a city break or girly weekend. We had twin rooms, and in our group quite a few varied in size. The only gripe was how hot it was in our room. With snow outside, we ended up keeping the window open - still, it's better than being too cold in my book!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you taking the time to post a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your hen weekend with us. Our spa can be hired for exclusive use and we offer a full range of Decleor and Carita treatments and products.

I am sorry that you found your room to be on the warm side. Here at the hotel we endeavor to ensure that all rooms reach an ambient temperature and due to the age and size of the building this can be tricky during extreme weather conditions.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Michael Grange

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My daughter treated me to a birthday surprise and brought me here for afternoon tea. I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of my time here. The service was impeccable and the whole afternoon tea experience was so lovely. We couldn't manage to eat all the cakes and scones so the waiter very kindly packed the remainder up for us to take home. I would totally recommend treating yourself to this experience. Also the toilets are amazing!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review following your visit to the hotel for afternoon tea. It is the prefect option to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. Pre-booking is essential and we serve afternoon tea 7 days a week from 12noon-6.00pm.
I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.
oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

For the price,its a poor choice. Tired decor and tired rooms. Service is good but i cannot say its a 5 star. In short,it has a monopoly for central oxford and it can,in some ways,charge ehat it likes. With more competition,it would have to upgrade itself. As it stands,its like a tired old elephant charging premium for a bumpy ride.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you felt the hotel was not value for money. Please be assured that our rates are in line with other hotels in the city of Oxford and we regularly carry out refurbishment work.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very small twin bedded room in need of re-decoration. At least there were sheets and blankets and the room was warm although a very cold weekend. Breakfast was included and was quite good although the Sunday lunch which was for ten people took from 1 p.m. until 3.30 p.m. There is also an optional service charge added to your bill but they also give you an opportunity to leave a gratuity as well!
When you book this hotel on their website they don't tell you that they charge you an additional £3.00 if you want to pay by credit card at check out!
I won't be either eating or staying there again.

Room Tip: Are there any?
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was sorry however to learn that you found your room to be on the small side and in need of redecoration. Please be assured that we offer all our rooms that guests will be comfortable and do have a a very comprehensive maintenance schedule for the hotel.

I am sorry that you were not aware of the £3.00 credit card administration fee. I shall be checking that this is clearly visible at booking stage. This charge is not levied of debit card payments.

Hornchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Spent a few nights in one of their suites and I have to say its a lovely hotel. From the minute you step through the doors everyone is very accommodating. The concierge are very help and are very knowledgeable on where to go / where to eat out. The bar is really nice (bit pricey) but serves a lovely drink and can't beat sitting by the fire in the winter with a lovely drink. The bar staff were also very friendly. Rooms were lovely and spacious, great view of museum. We didn't have afternoon tea but it looked nice and will certainly be visiting next time. The hotel is in the middle of oxford so within walking distance of all the shops, museums, restaurants.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a suite would recommend as they are nice and big and the views are great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you taking the time to post a review and I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is indeed right in the heart of the city and is perfect for visiting the local attractions without using your vehicle.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Me and my sister stayed at the Randolph for a well deserved long weekend. Where shall I start, the traffic into Oxford was a nightmare due to recent flooding a lot of traffic was being diverted.

From the second we pulled up outside the hotel everything was taken care of. A young gentleman came out to my car and confirmed our reservation and parking 1 minute later there were 2 men off loading our luggage, taken inside and our cars taken to be parked. Once inside we were checked in without any hassle. We were booked into a executive room, very clean and spacious.

Overall the hotel is amazing and the staff very helpful and friendly, if there is anything that you need all you have to do is ask and they will do there upmost to accommodate your request. Concierge service again just what you expect from a 5* hotel, the gentleman who parked one of our cars also arranged dinner reservations for us at Loch Fyne seafood restaurant and remembered our names from checking in? If you like sea food Loch Fyne is a must, very relaxed restaurant with great food.

Although it was quite cold we decided to take a tour on the open top bus, it's the best way to see parts of Oxford. Your able to hop on and off along the tour route, tickets can be obtained from the concierge desk and the stop is just outside the hotel.

Spa day was lovely treatments some of the best I have had, very relaxing. Great helpful advise about products used. The only down side about the spa is the relaxation room located at reception, there are only 4 relaxation chairs, and when people who are waiting for treatments are called those who are in a deep state of relaxation after a heavenly massage are then disturbed. I would dread to think what someone was to do if all 4 chairs were occupied. Besides that the spa is very clean and has a nice relaxing atmosphere.

The Randolph is situated in the centre of Oxford, great for exploring. Things like the cinema, theatre, shops and great restaurants are all within walking distance.

I would highly recommend this Hotel for couple and families looking to explore Oxford and the surrounding area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at the hotel. I know the team will be most motivated to learn of them.

I shall be discussing your comments with regards to the relaxation room and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have recently launched Carita treatments and products which compliment our current offering Decleor.

London England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

On arrival, having read previous reviews I was braced for an appalling smell, however there was none and I was almost disappointed. Room was very comfortable, but passage was very creaky and the lifts were slow and cramped and somebody not to far from my room had a noisy dog (which I suppose is not the fault of the hotel) so it was far from perfect.

In addition the bar downstairs and the valet parking are very expensive, although breakfast was pretty good. Check in was efficient and quick, getting the car back was tedious and slow.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting a review. I shall be discussing all your comments at our weekly team meeting and I am sorry that you found the hotel to be expensive for parking and in the Morse Bar. Please be assured that we regularly carry out competitor pricing and are in-line with similar establishments. We are cheaper than the local council run car park and charge £26.50 for valet parking overnight.

Michael Grange

Been to Macdonald Randolph Hotel? Share your experiences!