“Great Hotel, Lovely Staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Book Direct - Best Price
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Oxford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Lovely Staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed five nights over Christmas and it was one of the best Christmas breaks we have had.
The staff were excellent, the hotel is one of the best. We will be back, as we miss it already.
I would recommend anyone thinking of going to Oxford, to stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Turkish first
Londonfroggielover
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at The Old Bank Hotel on a final weekend away before the birth of our son and it proved to be a very relaxing break in a well presented hotel. While our room was rather small it was generally well appointed and having requested a room at the rear of the hotel was perfectly peaceful at night. I was irked slightly by the water stain on the ceiling above the bed as these things reflect badly on the maintenance of the hotel while being extremely easy to rectify. Like some of the other reviewers I found some of the artwork in the hotel not to my liking, but at least it provides a talking point. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast in Quod and also had dinner here one evening. The ambience was excellent and the staff attentive, but my wife and I were both disappointed with our meals (we had steak) given the price.

Reception staff in the hotel were helpful and provided information we needed to find our way around Oxford. We also used the hotel’s car park which is difficult to manoeuvre into with a large car but is definitely a welcome addition in a city where bikes or feet are the primary method of transport.

If we return to Oxford for another visit when our son gets into the university in 18 years I’m sure we will revisit The Old Bank Hotel and hope to find the same level of service that we enjoyed on our last trip away as a twosome.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

After reading countless reviews of hotels in Oxford my husband and I chose the Old Bank. We were quite pleased with the hotel. They offer a free walking tour of Oxford which was quite good. The hotel is a lovely boutique hotel and even if they did not offer parking (which was definitely a plus) I would stay there again. The desk staff was very helpful and pointed us in the right direction with respect to restaurants as Oxford does not appear to have a very exciting dining scene. Yes, the room was small but it quite nice and the hotel is well decorated and very well maintained. If I were going back to Oxford I would not look elsewhere but just book at the Old Bank again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is a boutique hotel in the centre of Oxford. Overall I'd say it's good in most respects - a good 4 star (not 5 star) hotel - and may well be the best hotel in Oxford. But I don't think it deserves the Best City Hotel 2011 award it won... read on for why.

The hotel is well located, right in the city centre, with pleasant views of university buildings. There is ample free parking available. It opened in the late 1990s, so has fairly modern decor; this is complemented by large numbers of modern paintings and drawings throughout (including bedrooms), mostly good, and some even by well-known artists.

My room was pleasant and comfortable, but quite small. There wasn't really enough room to put clothes in - e.g. no drawers. The bathroom had a 1990s beige stone/tile decor, which was fine but could do with updating as it isn't as stylish as some more recent hotels. Though it included separate bath and shower, the bath was too small to lie down in.

The main other problem was that my room (and others) was much too hot. Oddly there was no thermostat in the room (and though there were radiators I had switched them all off) - so the only way to cope with the heat was to put the air conditioning on full and leave it on all the time!

By way of a residents' lounge, the hotel has a 'library bar', equipped with a coffee machine and tables from which you can order drinks from elsewhere in the hotel by telephone. When wanting somewhere to go and sit/talk we tried this place a couple of times, but it was somewhat austere, feeling much more like a library than a bar! This is a significant drawback, since people don't just want to eat and sleep in a hotel, they also often want to hang out there too. To serve the function of a lounge the room needs sofas, cosier decor, and ideally more space too so that separate groups of people can be in there without encroaching on each other.

The hotel restaurant, called Quod, was good. Opening onto the street, it has a buzzy atmosphere, and seemed to be unusually popular, frequented by the general public; whereas almost all other hotel restaurants feel like part of a hotel and are little used. Food was generally good, with a bistro-like choice of modern European food. The only downsides were that seating was rather cold & draughty near the door, and the hotel breakfast (also served in Quod) was OK but overpriced.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, e.g. making a point of memorizing my name and using it at all opportunities!

So, to summarize, this is a good hotel but could be improved - mainly by fixing the temperature problems and providing a comfortable residents' lounge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thanks so much for your review

I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel on the whole. We also have some relaxed seating in the restaurant bar available for your use. So sorry you were a little hot. As you said we do have air conditioning available in all the rooms. Thanks once again and see you next time.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My partner and I selected this hotel after reading all the great reviews, and it certainly was everything the reviews had said - modern with old English character and charm, very friendly and helpful staff (in both the hotel and the restaurant), clean modern rooms, great restaurant (that is made more appealing as not only hotel guests use it, but seems very popular with public due to the high street entrance).

Complimentary walking tour by external tour guide was great, much better than if we'd wandered around ourselves.

Only disappointing thing was no hotel bar or lounge area, which would have been good to have after dinner.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room at the front of he hotel, I.e. overlooking the high street, and it was surprisin...
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thanks for your review

Glad you enjoyed your stay. We do actually have a guest lounge to rear of reception. I’m so sorry you were not aware of it on your visit.

I hope to see you again.

cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our son is at Oxford University so we have stayed in several of the hotels in the City. It's easy to see why The Old Bank is number one on Trip Advisor. We have eaten in Quod on several occassions but this was our first stay at the hotel. I spoke to Natasha when I made the reservation who was absolutely charming and very helpful, we were even given the room I requested which had a bow french door with small balcony overlooking the back of the hotel.
It was our son's 21st birthday the night we stayed so we didn't eat in the hotel as he was having a party in a bar up the road but we did enjoy breakfast in Quod the next morning ( our actual wedding anniversary) and it was good but I have had better.
The hotel is modern but still retains character and the rooms are very well equipped and clean. For Oxford I think the hotel is fairly priced given the quality of the fabric and service they provide. However when we booked we were told our rate was for Bed and Breakfast and this was confirmed by email.
On check out I noticed we had been charged for breakfast, so I queried this with the young man doing the check out. This was removed, after he "checked the booking". We then sat down by reception to read the paper and wait for our son to meet us and two other people checked out and again I overheard they had been charged from breakfast when they were on the inclusive rate. Once is forgiveable, but twice is questionable so my advice would be do stay here, it is very good but do check your bill on check out.

Room Tip: Despite the best rooms being at the front of the hotel you will get a better nights sleep if you req...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thanks so much for your review

I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us, though i am sorry there was an error on the bill. We do of course aim to get this correct every time, though occasionally we do make an error. I would always advise checking the invoice as a matter of course.

See you next time.

Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Good service. Daily guide to what's on in Oxford. Discounts for Bicester village. Shoe shine. Umbrella when raining, all the services lacking at many hotels. Parking.
Food at the Quod is superb
Few negatives but plumbing could be better

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Bank Hotel? Share your experiences!