“Really enjoyable stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Browns Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oxford
Browns Guest House
You added Browns Guest House to your Saves list
281 Iffley Road, Oxford OX4 4AQ, England   |
Ranked #41 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“Really enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

A very comfortable bed and breakfast that I would highly recommend. We had a very comfortable and quiet double room with en-suite and views over the back garden. The full English breakfast was freshly cooked to order and really delicious. There is also a separate, comfortable lounge room for guests. The B&B is located about a 20 minute walk from the main High Street in Oxford, but there is also a bus directly outside, that also travels to the train station. The owners were very helpful and welcoming throughout our 5 day stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Have visited Oxford twice, and stayed in this guesthouse both times, and can certainly recommend it. I stayed in room 5, which was a large ensuite. It contained a wonderfully huge bed but strangely no desk or chair, which didn't particularly bother me but thought I'd point it out. The room was very quiet, the guesthouse itself was lovely and homely, with friendly owners and a good breakfast. Conservatory seating available for breakfast, which I imagine would be well received on sunny days (sadly it was raining during my stay!) It is about a 20 minute walk from the city centre, if you walk quite fast. All in all, a decent priced and good value accommodation option in Oxford.

Room Tip: Ask for ensuite where available.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here just one night for a wedding. Room comfortable and quiet and overall a nice homely atmosphere. About a 20 min walk into town - quite pleasant on a nice day (and a bus stop just over the road if not). Breakfast was lovely and my boyfriend asked after the unusual brown sauce - only to be given a complimentary new bottle. Very kind owners.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bilbao, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here for 5 days for a family event in Oxford.

The room was large, over the street (Iffley Road). You can more or less hear everything going on out on the road, but we were lucky and there wasn't too much going on (and we were going to bed really late anyway). The bathroom is clean but quite small. Especially the sink, which was tiny and sort of carved into the wall, so it was very difficult to wash your teeth and even harder to wash your face or shave.

Breakfast is far too early for us to make it (7 - 8.30 am and until 9 on weekends). On the day I did make it down, it was a nice breakfast, with the choice you usually get at a British B&B.

Oxford is expensive, and I still haven't found my ideal B&B. This one is fine, and you'll have what you need, but I'm still looking for that excellent place to stay at every time I go.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Met friends here for 4 days before a canal boat trip. Room to park our car out front. Very welcoming from both owners, Mary and George. Comfy front room were we gathered in the evening after a day of touring. We had room # 5 on the second floor and our friends has a smaller room in the back garden - both with king sized beds and ensuite. Our room was very comfortable and clean with a nice sized bathroom with walk in shower. Heating in room worked well.Breakfast was good - lovely fresh fruit with the yogurt. Margaret the server, who was from Kenya, was wonderful and did a great job even though she was new to the job. Mary and George were a wealth of information - and so patient as we seemed to have a thousand questions for them. The B&B was a good 20 min. walk to town centre.
We highly reccommend taking the Hop On- Hop Off bus tour to get a feel for where you want to go on your own. Try hard to find the Turf Pub as it is a unique experience. It is just down the street from the Kings Arm Pub which also had great food.

Room Tip: Room 5 - spacious with ensuite and king bed
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

My husband and I recently spent 11 nights at Browns while visiting our new grandchild. We chose Browns on the recommendation of our daughter in law and the proximity of the guest house to the our children's apartment. So nearness to the city centre or even price wasn't a consideration in our choosing Browns. But we were very, very happy with our accomodations.

Our room (number 3) was small and when we had our suitcases on the floor, there wasn't a whole lot of wiggle room....but we didn't spend much time in the room and when we did, the bed was very comfortable to sit on. We had a good size wardrobe with drawers to put our clothes in and a great mantle over a (non-working) fireplace to hold all of our small items. It was extremely functional. I agree that the small half-sink took some getting used to, but we were able to adjust to it without any problem after about 24 hours.

The beds were great. We had room 3 and the double room (which we had been afraid would house a double bed) basically had a king sized bed (two twins together) which is what we are used to sleeping in so it was great! The mattress was comfortable and we slept almost every night with the windows open which was lovely.

Breakfast had a lot of choices. The full English breakfast was very nice, but a lot more food than I was used to eating for breakfast and there were plenty of cereal, fruit and toast options for me that kept me very happy on the days I wanted a little less.

Mary and George are very helpful, gracious and accommodating hosts. We enjoyed visiting with them and enjoyed meeting the other guests who were staying there while we were. (They were full the entire 11 nights we were there...so they are obviously doing solid business!) The location is fabulous....stores for a late night sandwich within walking distance, a bus stop about a minute walk away....but also within an extremely easy walk to the town centre (20 minutes tops).

After we booked our stay at Browns, I did compare other prices at other locations in Oxford and I found their price to be extremely reasonable and in line with other similar options. For the comfort of the bed (my primary consideration if I'm staying somewhere 11 nights), the solid breakfast choices, the fabulous location and the graciousness of the owners, Browns gets 5 stars from me.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 3. If you don't have to have huge, this room looks out towards the back of th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I was in room 4, my relatives in room 5. What a difference! My room was tiny, dark and airless. The small window faced a brick wall, which echoed traffic noise during the night. My relatives' was spacious, with large windows. On the plus side, it was clean, the breakfast room is cheerful and bright, the lounge is comfortable, the breakfast was decent, and the location is close to the centre.

Room Tip: Room 5 is good.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Browns Guest House? Share your experiences!