“A credit to the Ashmolean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ashmolean Dining Room

Ashmolean Dining Room
Beaumont Street | Use St Giles Entrance on Friday & Saturday Evenings, Oxford OX1 2PH, England
+44 1865 553823
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ashmolean Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #204 of 473 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: French, English, Welsh
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Transit: A 10 minute walk from Oxford train station, and very close to Oxford bus station.
Description: A celebration of food and wine alongside art and culture. The Ashmolean Dining Room provides the spectacular setting for Oxford's first and finest rooftop restaurant. Our menu is fresh, seasonal and inspired by current exhibitions.
Orpington, United Kingdom
“A credit to the Ashmolean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

First class service the starter of curried butternut squash soup with lime cream was a revelation. Equally impressive was the Toulouse cassoulet. The raspberry millefeuille with elderflower cream was delicious and £21.50 was good value for the 3 courses. Highly recommended for visitors to the museum or indeed Oxford

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mike E, Manager at Ashmolean Dining Room, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Hi Richard, many thanks for a great review. Please let me know when you are next due to visit

London, United Kingdom
“Food doesn't quite match the location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I so wanted to like this more as the setting is great - & on a sunny day as it weirdly was in March its a splendid location - and Oxford doesn't seem to have as good a set of restaurant options as it ought to, but it didn't quite do it for me. All the dishes were never quite what they were described as on the menu. All were ok, none great. The soup of the day - curried squash was far too gloppy. I liked the herring/beetroot starter the best but I could detect very little taste in the horseradish cream that came with it & as it was layered on pretty thick that was disappointing. The cassoulet was odd - very bean heavy, nice bits of duck but with disappointing sausages & a 'crusty' baguette that was anything but crusty isn't on. The salted caramel pot was essentially a deconstructed banoffee pie. It was ok but again the tastes were somewhat dumbed down. It was very popular on a sunny Saturday lunchtime, service was fine, has a fine location, but ultimately the food mostly underwhelmed. One I'd like to give a 2.5 to!

Visited March 2014
Hi Steve, many thanks for your feedback. Following feedback from yourself and other guests we have made a few tweaks to some of the recipes and will be making some subtle changes to the menu at the start of May.
Shipston-on-Stour
“Rather disappointed this time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We have enjoyed lunch at this restaurant previously, but I was rather disappointed on this occasion. On arrival at the Museum, at 10.30am, I went up to the top floor to make our lunch booking for myself, wife and our guest. I was told that the only available timed bookings were now at 12 noon, but "to be out by 1.15", or at 2.00pm. We opted for the later time. The setting is lovely, but, because it is still cold, there are no outdoor tables. I found the menu to be much too limited and with very small portions. It is really over-priced. The service is fine and friendly, but although I am a big supporter of the wonderful museum - the oldest in the world - I think we will eat lunch in one of the many Oxford restaurants on our next visit. Pity, but they should review their menu choice and portions size as a matter of urgency.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your feedback. We have discussed with the museum the temperature in the restaurant and there was a blip in March which has now been rectified. We do offer a set menu which is £21 for three courses and a glass of wine Tuesday to Friday lunch time. Please let me know next time you are visiting the museum so I can ensure you have a great time
Midlands United Kingdom
“WAY OVERPRICED FOR SMALL PORTIONS..SLOW SERVICE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I was looking forward to dining at the Ashmolean Museum's restaurant and left terribly disappointed with the view I would never go back there again and never recommending this place to anyone. The menu looks fine and I knew that the meals would be pricey. What I didn't expect was that the portions would be so small to the point of being criminal. I ordered a Welsh Rarebit for the appetizer. It was one very small piece of toast (half the size of a piece of sliced bread). That was £7. My guest even commented how obscene that was. I ordered the Duck confit for my entrée. My guest ordered the Crab Salad. The restaurant wasn't crowded but we had to wait for ages for the entrees to arrive and when they did, it was further disappointment. The duck confit dish was the size of a child's bowl of porridge and it looked like it had been stewed for a week. My guest did much better with his crab salad that was a decent size. Neither of the dishes was cheap given the portion. I don't rate this restaurant at all in spite of the nice atmosphere. An example of you not getting what you pay for. A real shame.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Many thanks for your feedback which we have taken on board. The Welsh rarebit portion size has been increased and we are trying a couple of different recipes at the moment to see if we can bring the price down. Please let me know when you are next in the museum so I can show you how we have taken your feedback on board.
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting; adequate meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

My wife, two friends and I had a Valentine's Day lunch at the Ashmolean. The setting is delightful, on the top floor with views of both the splendid architecture within and out across Oxford. The menu is limited and a bit over-priced. The staff were friendly but a bit slow and lacking in nous concerning meal course presentation. The food was good but undistinguished. This restaurant appears to trade on it's setting and was a little disappointing. There are several better places to eat in Oxford at comparable or lower prices. Lovely setting though.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Mike E, General Manager at Ashmolean Dining Room, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Hi JEC45, thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry you didn't like every aspect of your visit. All of our prices are matched against similar standard restaurants in Oxford and where we hope we win is by having better quality food and ingredients. I'm sad we gave you the wrong impression, but obviously its up to myself and my team to prove you wrong in the future. We are launching a new menu from 6th March and are in the process of training our team on all the dishes and accompanying wines. I hope you can pop down again in the future so we can show you what we are capable of!!