“It does what it says... Nothing More” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English, Hamburgers, Steakhouse, Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Bristol
“It does what it says... Nothing More”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Been here a few times so thought it was time to write a review. Food is very much pub grub, and not really resturant standard. Good portions, but food is ok, not great not bad.

Ok if you want a quick meal with friens, staff always seem polite and helpful. ot somewhere I would choose for a special occassion, but if your out on a saturday afternoon and want some easy grub then it is fine.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Kidlington, England, United Kingdom
“Tasty food..bar staff could of been a bit more helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Took my 10 year old son to the Mitre at the weekend for lunch. We were greeted at the entrance by a well dressed and polite member of staff. He asked if we wanted a table and I explained that we had decided to sit in the bar area of the restaurant. I sat my son at the table before ordering drinks. The same member of staff who had greeted us at the door, then brought over a colouring sheet and crayons for my 10 year old (who was more than happy to colour it in whilst we waited for our food) and a children's menu (as I was asking the bar staff who seemed to pause for too long).
After about 5 minutes of looking through the menu, I returned to the bar and placed our order for the food. My son had ordered garlic bread and myself the breaded mushrooms which were brought the the table within 5-10 minutes of the order being placed. The starters tasted nice but the mushrooms were a little too hot. In between the starters and lunch, I realized that I had forgotten to use my beefeater card and when I asked the bar staff if I could add the points, he simply said sorry it's too late before turning to help someone else.
The main courses came out.. my son had the vegetarian sausages and gravy with mash and baked beans (don't ask - i tried to convince him to no avail to have the peas!) He seemed more than happy as he ate his food. I had the lasagne, with a slice of garlic bread and chips... at this point i want to point out that although i was happy to have chips, when I ordered the food, the bar staff never asked if i had wanted chips or the salad, that was the other option with my meal..
The lasagne, again was nice and hot and tasted delicious. I am always weary of having lasagne at places like this as often they can taste like a ready meal, but this did not disappoint, the lasagne was nicely cooked and the sauce just the right amount of creamy. On the whole we were happy with the food and most of the service we had. The waiting staff were very efficient at clearing the tables and all the staff polite, I just felt the guy who served me on the bar could of been a bit more helpful.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Didcot, United Kingdom
“Friendly Service in a busy central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We have been using 'The Mitre' for about five years now as we live out of town and just get in maybe four times a year. Very good 'meeter and greeter' Staff and we notice they are good with all visitors of any age group, ethnic background or orientation. Service is very dependent and time of day and expect a wait of around twenty minutes during a busy lunchtime. Staff always very helpful and they really do make you feel welcome. University students quite often help their incomes by helping out at tables and great to see that. Food is of a very good standard for a large company owned mass catering outlet (because that is what it is!) House wine is very acceptable and the staff are knowledgeable on their winelist. To sum up, there are planty of places to eat in Oxford City centre - this is a good honest 'shopping trip' choice.

Plano, Texas
“Good food one cold evening in Oxford”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Our fanily of four had been touring the English towns of Bath and Oxford. After a very cold March day it was time for donner on a Sunday night. We happened upon The Mitre Beefreater. So glad we did!

My son ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with bacon and cheese and reported it was excellent. The spicey fries were good too. I jad the paprika chicken which was good. The salad was fresh and delicious. My husband ordered the fillet and said that it was cooked well but was lacking seasoning but since we are from Texas we have tons of steak places that are excellent. The sides were all very good.

We liked our server Katerina who provided friendly and excellent service!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford
“Satisfied and what we expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have been here twice before. Conveniently located next to The Covered Market. It is a busy, bustling Beefeater pub/restaurant. Menu is as expected - grills, burgers, steaks, fish & chips etc. kids menu is good and reasonably priced. Staff were lovely and friendly and very helpful. We ate off the early menu and it was great value. A couple of courses each, drinks plus I had a cheeky second pint :). £33 all in. Beer was good - London Pride and Brakspear. Tasty and good. Very nice way to spend lunch.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere