“Best Indian in Headington!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
London
“Best Indian in Headington!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We moved out to Oxford in August and have already made Mirabai a monthly visit. We've loved each and every meal that we've had there. It's also been a great hit for all of our friends and family that have eaten there too. Probably the best bit is the initial "nibbles selection" for lack of the proper term. The poppadoms with the selection of chutneys and sauces is just sublime and lets you settle into the booth for a great meal.

The service is quick and great - just what you need when you finish work at 9pm and can hear your belly rumbling! The paneer is always cooked well. However, I will say that the spices could be a little spicier (my limit is habanero extract if that gives you any idea). I last had the vindaloo and whilst it tasted wonderful, it could've used more of a kick :-p.

We'll definitely be visiting the Mirabai time and time again in the coming years

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

72% Recommend
“had bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

me and my girlfriend visited the restaurant on friday night,we ordered mix kebab and was looking forward to the starter however when it arrived it was mix starter (vegeterian starter)instead of mix kebab,obviously the waiter took the wrong order,he wasnt even friendly when taking order,and he was very unprofesional.once we told it was wrong starter served then we waited longer for mix kebab to arrive.food was good though we enjoyed it.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

What a great place to eat,we go there all the time, the staff are friendly, food is great and tonight they had all that and more they remembered my birthday and put up a birthday sign, gave us a free drink and all the staff sang happy birthday to me with a cake, thank you guys it was yet another great night x

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Superficial unreliable Indian restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Unpleasant experience.

The staff was friendly to start with when I entered the place with another friend. We ordered several starters and some mains to share.

Whe one of the fish dish arrived (supposedly a freshwater fish from India/Pakistan), we just could not eat it as the fish was bad. When this was brought to the waiter's attention, he asked either the manager/proprieter to our table who then became hostile and declared to us that it was never mentioned in the menu the fish was fresh. We explained that the fish was bad and he just would not have it. In the end we just accepted that we will pay for the food if they would take the dish away and voila the smiles came back again.

The whole experience just goes to show how superficial these poeple and one has to wonder about the quality of the food that they produce even if some reviewers like the food.

Working nearby in Headington this would have been a regular place for me but after this experience, I have warned everyone at work in Headington to stay away lest they received similar treatment.

This visit was back in 2010 but it was such a bad experience and coming across this restaurant in tripadviser as one of the top recommended place in Oxford, I feel I need to share my experience with everyone.

Therefore the marked box of Jan 2012 below is done as it does not allow any review before this date.

• Visited January 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have eaten in this restaurant many times over the years and the service and food has always been fantastic. This review was inspired by tonights home delivery however, which was just delicious. Te restaurant has been going for many, many years (which says a lot already) and is the first place I ever ate curry in the days where I needed to drink lots of water as a Korma was too spicy for me! I have tried many of the alternative restaurants in Oxford but would say this is the one I always come back to and remains my favourite. The spice is always just right, is never too rich or full of oil, Service is always perfect and I think if any local restaurant were to close down this would be the one I would be most disappointed about. Thank you for your consistent good service, delicious food and reasonable price. If you are looking for curry in Oxford I would recommend you gave this one a try.
Rachel, Marston.