“Convenient, clean and nice people” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pickwick's Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oxford
Pickwick's Guest House
You added Pickwick's Guest House to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   15-17 London Road, Oxford OX3 7SP, England   |
Ranked #74 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Convenient, clean and nice people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed here on a number of occasions now for work. Great location. The staff are polite and friendly, and the breakfast is good, with polite friendly service. They remember me each time I stay. The rooms are clean and tidy and sized to the amount you pay. Not sure size people expect, but for me they are ample big enough, even the smallish single, which was reflected in the cheaper price. Only complaint is the mixed wifi reception, depending on your room, in relation to location of the router - need to boost range to cover all rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for one with good wifi connection. The rooms for about £75 are a good size for a couple.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

This place, for all the "Englishness" os it's name, seemed to be owned by a corporate entity and run by resident Orientals, only one of whom spoke English. The rooms were tiny (and I mean TINY), the breakfast decent but extremely small - unless you specifically asked for two eggs, you only got one - a first in my experience. I also had to change rooms almost nightly in my 6 days Also, when I needed to stay another night because I was ill, which they already knew, all of a sudden they were booked up.....when I was not QUITE ready to leave at 10:30 because of my high fever, they actually THREW my luggage outside and stood over me to make sure I vacated ASAP...all with a high fever. I would never return. Never. Would rather sleep in the car.

Room Tip: Perhaps the rooms in the back are queter - mine were all on the main street in Headington and very n...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Donneloye, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed a night at Pickwick's guest house in April 2012. There is parking outside which is very convenient.

Reception was good: we got a key, with detailed explanations of how to get into the house late, and the breakfast hours. The receptionist (and some other members of staff) were Asian, which usually bodes well, as they are clean and very civilized (often more so than my English compatriots).

The room was comfortable, spotless and agreeable. It faced on to the main road (London Road), but we were not disturbed by the traffic. The bed was comfortable and clean. The bathroom too, with courtesy soaps, shampoo etc.

Breakfast was faultless: we were given a large choice of the usual fare, which was excellent, speedily served.

We paid in advance (£ 88 for a double room with breakfast), when we arrived, so I cannot comment on checkout procedures.

All in all a very positive experience, excellent value, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Norfolk UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

This B&B was recommended to me by another B&B owner when I enquired about a vacancy at theirs. I can now see why they had vacancies and my original choice was full!!

However the close proximity to the JR Hospital was the reason I wanted to stay in Headington, so handy for me as I was visiting a relative there, just a 10 minute walk along a residential road and I was able to leave my car in the B&B car park even though I had aleady booked out.

Everywhereunfortunately was in dire need of updating, the rooms were very 1990's and the shower in my room was so slow I felt I needed to get up 1/2 hour earlier to make sure I was ready for breakfast.

The staff's welcome was a bit mixed but ok but the service for breakfast was very good with a reasonable choice. In fact the dining room was possibly the best bit of the house, with a lot of updating, this B&B would do very well, as it's in a convenient location and the original building has so many fine features.

Out of choice I probably wouldn't stay there again but if there was no alternative then I would reconsider if only for it's closeness to the hospital.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Apart from a tiny en suite shower room and a bit of confusion about the television this was as good and comfortable as most hotels. It was good value for Oxford A nice garden and free parking are always a bonus.

The cooked breakfast was a slightly shaky on a couple of days, but there is a good choice and more than ample cereal, fruit, yoghurt etc.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a convenient and comfortable place to stay in Oxford.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cologne, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Stayed here over a weekend and had chosen the location as I was visiting friends in Headington. The location really is good, very easy to get to from the airports on the coaches and also an easy base to get into Oxford city centre as there is a bus stop nearly opposite the b&b. However, the room I was staying in was a typical very small single, tucked in a corner right next to the stairs and the bathroom. It was only just wide enough for a bed and not much longer either. The wallpaper was quite stained as was the carpet and there was quite a musty smell in the room which wouldn't even go away after airing for a while. Also, the room was right next to the bathroom and for some reason, someone turned the lights (and fan!!) on at night which meant that it was too noisy in my room for proper sleep. I got up twice to switch off the light&fan, yet someone kept turning it on. Maybe because the drains smell? I don't know, but it meant I didn't get a good night's rest for three nights. Also, the mattress was either worn or cheap, I could feel the springs everywhere. The breakfast was ok, but not great. I've stayed at some really nice b&b's in the past and it was a bit of a let-down really. The staff were friendly, though, but it's always different if the owners take care themselves or employ staff to do so. All in all, it's do-able with no frills if one needs to stay in Headington, but not the best experience ever.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1 at all cost as it is very small and next to the bathroom and the walls are thin!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I picked up this B&B from TripAdvisor and was not that satisfied with the result. As a single person I did not expect my room to be so tiny and claustrophobic. It was clean but tired and well worn. Breakfast was quite good with a range of options, but the biggest plus of the house was its position to Oxford. I was driving and Oxford is a no car city, but I was able to leave my vehicle in the courtyard while I took the bus into the city. The bus stops were virtually outside the property. So if you are a tourist and want 'reasonably' priced accommodation the location is perfect.

Room Tip: The upper floor rooms are larger
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Pickwick's Guest House? Share your experiences!