“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Henley-on-Thames
Hampshire UK
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed here for one night, glad it wasn't any longer. We were asked to pay for the room upon arrival, a first for us. No wonder as I would think they might find it hard to get people to pay after seeing the room. The first thing I saw upon entering the room was a very stained armchair, it would have been better not to have had one in there. The carpet was very old and dirty and the bedcover left a lot to be desired.
I went to have a bath in the morning, there was no plug. So decided to have a shower which was in semi darkness as the bulb was broken. The water kept stopping and then coming out cold.
The manager 'does not work at weekends' my friend was told. Well one wonders what he/she does do when they are at work as they certainly don't pay attention to detail.
A great shame as it is a beautiful building in a great position and could be absolutely first class if it was well run.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

£150 to sleep in a tiny, tiny and roasting hot room in a car park, with nothing but noise outside from 6:30am, is pretty much the reason I can't recommend this hotel.

Location - there's a tonne of hotels within two minutes of this hotel that are just as convenient.

Price - there's a tonne of hotels within two minutes that are half of the price of the red lion.

Honestly, I am not fussy, but this place was dire

• Stayed June 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights. On arrival staff very friendly and check in was quick. I had the red lion room, not very big but big enough with a fantastic view up the Thames and the Angel pub. It is a very nice hotel, old, very we'll kept, although a little rough around the edges. Bed very comfy although the extractor fan in the bathroom very noisy and needs replacing. The dinner menu you don't get a lot of choice, needs revamping. Breakfast is a buffet affair with enough choice for everyone, served in the Thames room. The staff were all friendly and helpful and could not do enough for me.
Would recommend staying here, it is a beautiful building, full of history.
The only thing I can fault this hotel on is the water pressure is very low, and the hot wart does not last long.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

The staff here have little clue - no training it would appear. I felt like I needed to help them dort the most basics out... from ho to make porridge to how to take an order (and I aint in the hotel industry)

Its clear no-one check the rooms regularly - my room had a mis functioning shower and an iron who's flex was worn through to the cables in 2 places. The Wifi is also very very 'flaky' to say the least.

Avoid this place if you possibly can. Only positive is the view from breakfast room (breakfast itself not great)

Room Tip: Not 103... no sunlight !
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Lavenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

The hotel sending me an e-postcard asking me to recommend the hotel to friends clearly shows how out of touch this property is. I should have suspected the worst after 4 telephone calls over 4 days asking for them to send me an e-mail confirming my booking! I chose the hotel because it had a car park only to be dismayed to find as I checked in that I needed to pay and additional £10.00 up front for parking! I was shown to a room that was war-torn and as small as prison cell with two broked lights and bearly enough room to swing a cat. I asked to be moved and to be fair they moved me right away to a much better room with two windows over looking the River Thames. This room, No 111, had the potential to nice. New drapes and a comfy bed BUT the dressing table stool was soiled and clearly someone had tried to clean it with bleach so it was covered in stains.....the furniture was chipped and needed replacing and one of the lights had a stained shade. There were only two pilllows on the bed, one hard and one softer so I am not sure how I would have coped if I had been travelling with my husband instead of alone. There are clearly not enough staff and when I went downstairs to be bar to grab a light snack discovered most of them only spoke partial English. The bar was unattended when I walked in and it was about 5 minutes before anyone turned up. I had, by this time, cleared a table to sit down but when my drink was delivered the table was not cleaned and was wet on top. The bartender did not know how to make a Virgin Mary so I showed him by making it myself! I ordered a club shandwich which was a very strange conconction and included some kind of omelette of egg on one layer and some very suspicious looking chicken which looked as though it had come out of a packet of processed chicken pieces. This hotel really needs to get to grips with its food, ambiance and customer service. At breakfast the next morning I was told there were no choices at all - just the Full English or juice, toast and cereal as well as some rather sad look bowls of tinned fruit. It was a pretty sorry affair with shoe leather bacon and rubbery eggs and I simply cannot believe that a hotel in the centre of Henley-on-Thames cannot offer manage one offering on its breakfast menu. The location is fantastic which is why I chose it but certainly next time I shall stay somewhere else. My advice is give it a miss........

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Not brilliant if I'm honest. A great location right in the middle if town but the room is effectively a converted garage and very cramped. We asked for directions to park but on arrival were charged an additional 10 pounds for the privilege which came as a surprise. It was difficult to get back in on our return ( nobody answered the doorbell) and the price is steep with no extras or breakfast included. Customer service was rubbish. Would not recommend.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Lomdon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently just for one night. Staff were great. Stayed in room across court yard. It was modern and clean the shower was lovely. Only gripe no where proper to plug kettle in. A little bit pricey but an enjoyable stay

• Stayed April 2014

Been to The Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!