“Good hotel for a weekend with your family” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Heythrop Park-Oxford

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Heythrop Park-Oxford to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Heythrop Park-Oxford
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Heythrop Park Enstone, Chipping Norton OX7 5UF, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good hotel for a weekend with your family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

As a family we stayed at the Crowne Plaza Heythorp park on the 25th July 2014 for one night.
It is a big hotel on the site of a stately home. The grounds are extensive so you can enjoy some nice walks.
What was nice was all the space that was available.
Our room was clean and had enough space for us as a family.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The pool was great fun and is a good depth for playing with you children as at its deepest it is 0.9m deep. My daughter loved the fact she could stand up in the deep end.
We did not eat at the hotel in the evening we ate at The Falkland Arms just 5 minutes drive way. The food was very good there thought the decor was very rustic english pub which is fine if you like that kind of thing.
We would stay here again

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Heythrop Park-Oxford, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Travelled for a weekend away with my husband. We arrived slightly early as we had to meet family in a nearby village so were pleased to find that the room was ready and we could check in earlier.
Reception staff were friendly and very helpful.
The room was on the small size for a Exceutive Double but clean with a nice bathroom.
You are advised to book dinner which we tried to do at approx 5.00pm but were told it was full so options were bar snacks or a buffet style BBQ in the middle courtyard. We went for the BBQ as weather was beautiful. it was OK nothing special but plenty of food and you could help yourself as many times as you wanted. The courtyard area though is not particularly pretty and could do with dressing up. Staff seemed friendly again but as said in reviews before it all seemed very disorganised. They either need more staff or better training.
We paid extra for breakfast and felt it was as the BBQ. They were very busy so we had to wait in a queue to be seated for 15mins. This wasn't a problem apart from when we eventually tried to get some food it was a mess. Loads of choices missing, no fresh fruit, no salt or tomato sauce, serving spoons were greasy to hold etc etc totally disorganised yet again.food quality when we ate was very nice but the struggle to serve ourselves spoilt the overall experience.
The grounds are beautiful and general atmosphere is relaxing but I am sorry to say the catering management need to step it up as this area is really letting the hotel down.
We would love to return but would think twice as the dining experience is an important part of the enjoyment and this was not to the standard I would expect from a hotel such as this. The staff need more support to deliver quality and I don't feel they are getting it. Management need to take responsibility to sort out these issues.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback. We have noted the issues raised by you in regards to breakfast/BBQ and corrective action has been initiated.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused and hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Germantown, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This hotel is not befitting of a Crown Plaza marque! To say the facilities are " tired" is an understatement. Threadbare towels, BOTH of them. Dirty bathroom floors. Carpet so thin you feel the floor under them and they are stained. We were with a business group of approximately 300 and it was as if we surprised them with our arrival. Wait staff in dining areas totally unprepared as was food staff. Wait times were interminable. No communications and no explanations. Many in our group complained daily about lack of basic amenities such as hot water and air conditioning. I've visited many Crown Plaza hotels and this one is a disgrace. You should seriously look at viability of being associated with this hotel. I got a $25 per night experience in a hotel costing much more! Frankly I got ripped off. I will sign my name and be glad to give you more,
Kent Ritchey

Room Tip: Not existent
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback. If you could please contact the hotel direct at info@heythroppark.co.uk we would like to discuss your stay and resolve the issues faced.

Kaushik
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed as a family, and for that the 'Family Suites' are way too small. Essentially a standard room with two double beds squeezed in.

I can imagine that it does very well for conferences and business meetings but for social stays it is not ideal.

The aircon was effective but as in most hotels it blows straight onto the otherwise comfortable beds, so unless you like to sleep in an icy breeze, the best option is to turn it off.

The staff at check-in were very indifferent to our arrival. Efficient bordering on unfriendly.

We had a look at the spa but we did not go in. It is best approached from the rear of the hotel, when you will walk past the main entrance of the DeVere Heythrop Park Country House Hotel, to which the building of the Crowne Plaze sits as an extension. However, the two hotels run entirely independently. The spa and the gym look small but with a decent size pool.

There is also a golf course, which we did play. It was in good condition with some interesting holes. Normally I hate using a buggy, but for this course I would recommend it as there are some VERY long walks from green to tee. It is all deceptively hilly in places. Get your tee rimes from teetimes.co.uk., which is cheaper than anything the course can offer.

We did not eat dinner in the hotel but in neighbouring Chipping Norton, where the Blue Boar pub can be highly recommended. The hotel breakfast is an average fayre. Comparing it with the breakfast at the Premier Inn in Liverpool, where we had just stayed, this was disappointing. Less choice, less fresh, more mess. Also the winged armchairs were comfortable to sit in but they were too low for the tables.

On the question of Wi-Fi - we had free unlimited access throughout our stay.

Overall for the price we paid it was OK, but still somehow disappointing.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback. We have noted the issues raised by you in reagrds to breakfast and your check in experience and corrective action has been initiated.

Romsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Been to 2 conferences here June and July, both times I stayed there. What a fantastic venue with really impressive conferencing facilities. Beautiful grounds too so got to walk in the evening before dinner. Love the history of the place too. Rooms were big, clean, comfy and had a lovely relaxing feel, the lavender oil sleep spray was very welcome, a real treat. Food was excellent at dinner and breakfast was very good. The only criticism was the lunch, now I do understand that catering for over 100 people is tricky but I don't think the way it was done quite worked (and it was the same process on all the days). We all filed out of the main conference to head off for lunch to find little bowls of food on a table and occasionally a waiter would come by with more little bowls of food. If you went to find a seat (and there weren't many near that area) you missed out on the food coming past so we all just stood around waiting or looking for the trays of food. Now I was hungry so a couple of small bowls of food didn't quite work! The food was really good though just not very easy standing up and trying to grab food in a crowded area before everyone else grabbed it. To top that I could not find anything to drink near the food, I did ask for water but it never came, so you had to walk back down to the drinks area to get a drink. After lunch on each day the hot drinks were cold so we had to ask each day for fresh tea and coffee to be bought out. Shame because everything else was spot on.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback. We have noted the issues raised by you in regards to the lunch service and corrective action has been initiated.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Having previosly stayed in Crowne Plaza hotels, I was confident when booking that this would be the ideal place to stay whilst we attended the CLA Gamefair.
The hotel itself is lovely. Very modern and well presented. The room also was great. Huge comfortable bed, and brilliant walk-in shower.
We arrived at the hotel at around 8pm feeling hungry. The receptionist told us she would book us a table at the restaurant for 9pm. She then called me in my room to tell me the restaurant was full so I'd need to go to the terrace hotel in the old manor house, same menu/prices. Not a problem. When I arrived at the restaurant, I was todl they'd explained that they "may" be able to fit me in but they were full so couldn't! After some complaining, they asked me to wait a few minutes, then suddenly "found" me a table in a restaurant that I'd say was 20% full. The food was okay, but we had to wait over an hour for it. A free beer was our compensation.
When I attended breakfast I was shocked to discover that I had booked room-only and didn't have breakfast included, though I could still enjoy a full english for "just" £19.95! I visited reception after breakfast to make my suprise known and that when I spend £200 per night for a room I've come to expect breakfast. The sympathy & understanding I wanted wasn't there, but they did only charge me for one breakfast as a gesture, and sold me vouchers entitling me to breakfast the next day for £14.95.
On Saturday afternoon after a day out, we visited the snug bar for some late lunch. Us,and 2 other couples were the only ones in there. I placed my order with the girl who was on her first day and she could not understand a word I was saying. She ran off to find help, and the chap who came back also took my order down incorrectly and luckily I saw him entering the wrong info into the till. We waited 40 minutes for 2 x steak baguettes.
To summarise, it's a fantastic hotel in a lovely setting, but was let down slightly by untrained staff, and somewhat uncaring.
HOWEVER - my wife left her Kindle in the room under the pillow, which we realised when we got home (3hr drive). We called the hotel and left a message with housekeeping. They called me back, I explained what had happened, and they posted it back to us. This made me forget all the negative stuff above as I had assumed the worst, and because of this I will use the hotel again if I'm in the area.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback. We have noted the issues raised by you and corrective action has been initiated.

Newton Abbot
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Very comfy bed which is a big part of why you stay at a hotel. Our bathroom was excellent, our room very small and made smaller by the design of the room, small window area compared to great protruding block of wall. Great location on country estate (if only the bedroom windown allowed a view). Along with several other guests, we thought we were staying at the De Vere Heythrop Hotel Stately Home literally right next door - easy to mix up when booking. This Crowne Plaza Heythrop Hall would probably be called a carbuncle by Prince Charles. It's poorly designed and a guessing game as to where anything is. The Brassey Restaurant is not near the Brassey Bar it would seem. However, you get to know a few faces as you all helpfully direct each other in, hopefully, the right direction. It could be lovely but somehow isn't. The restaurant seemed somewhat under stress for dinner but the food, when it eventually arrived, was acceptable. There's nothing tremendously wrong but no pizazz to make me want to rush back. As an overnight stop it's fine.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Heythrop Park-Oxford, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we greatly value your feedback. We have noted the issues raised by you about the restaurant and corrective action has been initiated.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Kind Regards

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Heythrop Park-Oxford? Share your experiences!