“Superb & a warm welcom.” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105, High Street, Burford OX18 4RG, England   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Millom
“Superb & a warm welcom.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We booked a last minute 2 night break over the August Bank Holiday weekend.
We were warmly welcomed by the owners.
Our standard double room was spacious spotlessly clean with ample tea coffee & biscuits.
The bathroom was well stocked with toiletries.
The breakfast was superb with real freshly squeezed juices,ample choices with some real luxury treats.
The evening meal was one of the best meals my husband & I have ever had.
All the staff were friendly & helpful & the owner was polite & chatty.
A fantastic hotel will certainly re visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I went back to the Bull at Burford for lunch with friends last week as we wanted to shop in Burford, and its the best place to eat. I just had to have the fishcakes (again) they're so good, and my two girlfriends had the trout which they both said was succulent and tasty. They then shared a dessert (meringue with homemade icecream) which was "inhaled" at great speed! Jean-Marie is a good host and has a hilarious sense of humour - it's rather like having a very quick trip to France but in England. I have been shown round a few bedrooms, (The Market Room was my favourite, huge, Wedgewood blue and with lovely furniture) but as I only live forty minutes away can't really find the excuse to stay the night. Keep it up Jean-Marie and Claire, you have a lovely place, and thank you for always giving me such a lovely welcome back. x

Room Tip: I was shown several and thought them all characterful, but the Market Room and the Trafalgar Room ar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while on our honeymoon. We booked a superior room at the last minute over the Internet. We were quite impressed with the place at first - very charming and quite a lot of history. The lady that checked us in was lovely too. The experience turned sour the next morning at breakfast - the male owner was running the restaurant and was incredibly rude to the poor waitress - she looked as though she was going to burst into tears. He kept telling her off for the stupidest little things like pointing the spout on the coffee pot the right way - all of this in view (not just in ear shot) of the customers. Very unprofessional. His rude attitude extended to customers as well - it kind of felt like we were in his way. I wouldn't recommend this place purely because of him.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkshire, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

As my mum and I were staying in Shipton-under-wychwood, we decided to go to Burford for a meal one evening. Burford has many places to eat, but The Bull Inn caught our eye due to its exciting menu. Walked in 10mins before restaurant was due to open, and even though the owner and his Wife were eating their meal, we were welcomed warmly. Nothing was any trouble and we were not disappointed. The food was amazing, the building had lots of character and staff were very friendly.
We were given complimentary cucumber and mint cold soup starter, which was fabulous. I had a scollops starter which was divine, and poussin for main, both were cooked to perfection and full of flavour. My mum had tomato/basil soup and Stone Bass with Fennel which she said was " Fluffy and Moist"!!!
All in all..... WOW!!!
Highly recommended and at a great price. 5*

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I asked for the room rate before leaving home but could not confirm as our plans were unclear. We did end up there but the £85 room we hoped for was let so we accepted an offer for a smaller room with a double bed for £70 for the three of us (our daughter is 8). Just enough room but not a comfy bed and spare camp beds were in use. In the morning the owner seemed quite dismissive of us and was condescending to our daughter. Whilst waiting for my wife at reception he was openly counting out his money and ignoring my pleasantries. I found this quite vulgar. When it came to settling the bill he said they did not accept amex. I explained my surprise as unbeknown to him we had paid our security deposit that way. He grumbled that amex charge a lot, then looking at his bill for dinner I said with an ironic smile that so did he. He then dropped the mask and said of his quite pleasant receptionist "Well you really did a job on her last night, as I wouldn't have let you have that room for seventy pounds". I replied "How dare you speak to me like that? Who do you think you are?" He had no reply to this and we walked out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a new bed!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cittiglio, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here one night after a near wedding party. The room was excellent, big, clean and in a lovely old age style. The serivce was great and also the position is excellent, you can reach by walk the bus station to connect to Oxford and then London.
A great experience from all points of view!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I went to this hotel for lunch on spec and were delighted. They were dealing with a big party of some sort but despite being busy, we didn't have to wait all that long - and when the food arrived it was amazing value for money - almost Michelin star quality but nothing like the price. Will definitely eat here again next time we're in Burford.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bull at Burford? Share your experiences!