“Good Pub” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
London
“Good Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We went here after trying to find somewhere to have a Sunday Roast as everywhere seemed to be closing at 2pm. Being veggie I wasn't expecting to find anywhere to cater but was delighted to find The Mermaid offered a nut roast!

There was a very friendly welcome on our arrival and the service was cheerful. The food was really nice and just what we needed on a cold Sunday afternoon.

The pub got pretty busy just after we arrived so would maybe recommend booking on Sunday lunchtime and mention if you want the roast as they ran out while we were there, at least that's a good sign!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing stew”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

We went here as a family for my birthday, I ordered the stew and dumplings on the specials however there was little meat and the dumplings were under cooked. The pot it came in was difficult to get the food out of and it was mostly gravy. The price was quite high for pub food and below the standard I would expect. I wouldn't recommend this dish. The other dishes ordered by my family were ok but we wouldn't go here again.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Not really impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Home alone so thought fish n chips takeaway. Fish was I suspect frozen rather than fresh, with bones, as were the chips. Didn't state what type of fish so not sure if pollock or cod? Disappointing....

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“A must To visit In This Beautiful Cotswold Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Having stayed in Burford for 5 days on business and have sampled nearly all the eateries in Burford and i can say without doubt The Mermaid is one of the best by far.The food was excellent - ample portion sizes, good quality, fresh ingredients and well presented dishes. There was a wide range of options available (both food and drink) reasonably priced and if you do have the pleasure of visiting this excellent establishment the rump steak is a must, excellent value for money and one of the best i have had in many years. The staff were very welcoming, even on a very busy lunch visit found the time to check everything was well with my meal. Will defiantly be back when next in Oxfordshire. A massive thank you will look forward to my next visit.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“I don't normally pick a dud”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I love pubs and particularly love good food.
Sunday roast should be a guarantee that an English pub can specialise in.
Unfortunately not this one.
Sloppy service, prices as you would expect, however when you get Yorkshire puddings that resembles burnt rocks you know something is a miss. I even discussed the signature of their dish being ill prepared (without sounding too snobby to discuss how the rest of the meal was also rather average). The waitress did bring us some new Yorkshire puddings this time resembling rocks that had been kept in your fridge.
When asked at the till how i found the meal I said the truth and got an '"oh sorry."
I do sound picky, but i do think anyone should be able to cook a tasty roast (well almost anyone).
Next time if this occurs it will be drinks in the bar only for me! The pub does have a nice conservatory out the back a strength though and plenty of seating.

• Visited August 2012