“Wow - What a place for a wedding!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sheep Street, Burford 0X18 4LW, England   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kingsland, United Kingdom
“Wow - What a place for a wedding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

From the moment of initial contact as to whether a June date was available, right the way through to the moment when we left the hotel after our wedding, we cannot find fault with anything. We were getting married in a local Church and wanted the Bay Tree for our wedding reception. Our main contact was Maureen, as the wedding coordinator, and she could not have been more helpful and supportive. We knew what we wanted and all of our requests could be catered for, plus she made some excellent suggestions that we had not thought of. The service before, during and after the excellent wedding breakfast was first class and all of our guests who stayed there were very happy with their rooms for the overnight stay. All rooms, including the public areas, are furnished to a very high standard in keeping with a country hotel. The gardens are very well kept and are perfect for a drinks reception and make an excellent setting for the photographs - assuming that the English weather decides to cooperate! If it doesn't then the staff will have another option ready and waiting. A very big thank you to all of the team at the Bay Tree for helping to make this a very special day for us and we would have no hesitation in recommending this venue for a wedding.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
baytreemanager, General Manager at Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Firstly, thank you for this wonderful review of the Bay Tree Hotel. Secondly, thank you for giving us the opportunity and the pleasure to be part of your special day.

I am delighted that you had such an excellent wedding day and that every part of the process, from initial enquiry to departure, exceeded your expectations, as this is our aim.

I hope you will return to the Bay Tree soon so we can look after you again. Maybe for your anniversary??!! Whenever it is, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Jules Simms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time at the Bay Tree, and we love it. The hotel is beautiful - very quaint, cozy, and traditional. The staff are very friendly, and you are served a full breakfast in the morning, which is delicious and has plenty of options. The rooms are gorgeous, each one different from the next, which makes staying even more exciting. Molton Brown toiletries, a large selection of different teas, and even a teddy on the bed make all the difference. We couldn't recommend this hotel more, and wish we could stay for much longer.

• Stayed June 2013
Many, many thanks for your lovely review of the Bay Tree Hotel. What compliments!

I am thrilled that you enjoy staying with us so much and that every element brings your pleasure and comfort, as this is what we endeavour to achieve.

Next time you must stay for much longer!!! My team and I look forward to welcoming you back and hope you next stay is as enjoyable as the last.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 2night midweek stay with friends. Overall the experience was good however,I have to agree with the business visitor who complained about lack of urgency and bathroom noise. The bar at night is understaffed and the price of the drinks does not compliment the service £8 for a shot of Brandy and £6.30 for a shot of port.Way over the top.
We too were housed in a room opposite the main hotel and not only could we hear next door,s bathroom light we could also hear personal bathroom sounds which meant they could probably hear ours. However, despite that the location and the history of the Hotel would still encorage us to return but drink elsewhere.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
baytreemanager, General Manager at Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am glad that your overall experience was good, but concerned to read your comments on service, pricing and noise. At The Bay Tree, our aim is to put our guests at ease and help them to relax, but this should not compromise urgency and if you feel it did, then I apologise. With regard to pricing, I am somewhat confused by the prices you quote, as they do not match our current tariff. We offer 5 different Brandy products and 4 different Ports which are priced according to quality. Our starting prices are certainly nowhere near what you have quoted and I can only assume you chose the higher quality products in our offering or maybe even had doubles, to reach these prices. As for the noise you experienced in your room, I am taken aback that you could hear so much from the room next to you. Rest assured, I am looking into this matter and considering how to reduce this being an issue.

I do hope your negative experiences have not impacted on your overall opinion of The Bay Tree, and I am pleased that there are positive aspects that will encourage you to return.

Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night midweek. We arrived at 1 pm and the car park was very busy and we only just managed to squeeze in. The receptionist was efficient and took our luggage to the room so we could go straight to the bar to meet our colleagues for lunch. The bar food was of a good standard and the barman friendly, but he appeared to be working on his own and was very stretched. Others eating were complaining that things were taking too long and it was lucky we weren't in a hurry. We had afternoon tea and scones in the garden later in the day and it was delicious.

Our garden room was relatively small but quaint and the bed was very comfortable. Most things seemed to have been thought of but there was very little space for makeup etc in the bathroom and there was no shower cap/cotton buds etc provided. When in the bathroom we could definitely hear the people next door and their bathroom light switch going on and off in the night woke me up.

Breakfast had a good selection but, as with lunch the previous day, the cooked breakfasts and toast took far too long and we were on the verge of leaving without eating due to the time. The staff were all friendly but seemed to have no sense of urgency - perhaps because most of the guests seemed to be of retirement age and perhaps did not have work to get on with.

This hotel is in a beautiful old building and is full of history but perhaps best for those on a relaxing break rather than a business trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
baytreemanager, Manager at Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay, for the large part, but I apologise if you felt the length of service was too long. We do strive to put our guests at ease and help them to relax as much as possible. We do not try to hurry service – we want our guests to take their time and not feel rushed by us or feel the need to leave, but equally we want to provide an efficient and well-paced service so guests are not left waiting too long. Finding the balance can be challenging, as different guests have different requirements, expectations and schedules, but I would like to think that we achieve this balance more often than not, and I am sorry if we did not on this occasion.

As for the room, I am surprised to understand that you could hear the room next to you so well. I was not aware of this and would like to thank you for brining it to my attention. I have also noted your comments on space for cosmetics and toiletries in the bathroom and will look at this further to see if we need to install extra shelving.

I will pass your comments on to my team – they are indeed friendly and helpful, but feedback from guests is crucial in identifying areas for improvement and we always want to improve where we can and move forward positively.

I do hope that you will return to The Bay Tree and enjoy a length of service more suitable to you.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I recently attended a friend's wedding in The Bay Tree. It was a fantastic event - the ceremony and the meal both took place in a room overlooking the garden at the back of the hotel, and drinks reception and evening BBQ took place outside (on a weekend blessed with good weather). It was a truly wonderful event - very well run, and with a real garden party feel.

We stayed in one of the adjoining cottages, which was very pleasant, well furnished, and with a nice bathroom. The venue was pretty, very olde-worlde, and probably a good bet for those who want to see traditional old England. The gardens were also very well kept and had a real "secret garden" feel. Croquet games were set out, which were a big hit with both children and adults.

Food was very good, and I was particularly touched that the hotel provided me for free with a very plain cheese sandwich (made exactly as requested) after I had a bad bout of pregnancy sickness. They refused to take any payment for it. Breakfast had a good range of choices - both cooked and continental.

The only negative I can think of is that there are lots of old steps both inside the hotel and in the garden. These are hard to negotiate if (like me) pregnant and in heels, and therefore would probably pose a problem for those who have any mobility impairments (though ramps were arranged in certain areas for another guest).

All in all - a delightful wedding to attend, and one where the venue seemed to ensure that everything ran very smoothly. Fantastic stay and a happy start to married life for our friends!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
baytreemanager, General Manager at Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely account of The Bay Tree Hotel.

It really does thrill me to know that you had such a wonderful time at your friend’s wedding, as we just loved being part of such a special day.

So glad you enjoyed your cheese sandwich too!! I do hope the pregnancy sickness wears off for you – it can be so tiresome!

I do hope that all the steps were not too much of an inconvenience for you – having been built on a hill, the hotel naturally slopes down towards the garden, and thus the hotel is laid out in 3 levels with steps leading to each one. The different levels of the hotel and all the flagstone steps certainly contribute to the overall Cotswold charm and quirky character of the hotel, but as you point out, this can prove to be difficult for those less mobile. As you said, we do have ramps for those who are less mobile and we always do all we can to accommodate them.

I do hope that one day we can welcome you and your husband back to The Bay Tree….. maybe to get some well earned rest as new parents??!! It would be our pleasure to look after you.

Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just returned from a fabulous one-night stay (Friday escape) at the Bay Tree. The staff are wonderfully attentive and helpful, the decor is amazing, the gardens beautifully laid out, and the food is just out of this world. This is the ideal place to escape to. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Windrush is just lovely.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Bay Tree so much and thank you for your kind words.

The Windrush suite is one of my favourite rooms too and really captures that Cotswold feeling.

I am so glad you found the team to be attentive and helpful – I will pass your comments on to them, as receiving positive feedback gives them a great sense of achievement and pride.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Bay Tree in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had booked a room at the hotel, with a £250 per night rate. The room, named "Chestnut", was situated right above the bar where a group of 8 were having dinner.
So we heard every word that all those people said throughout the afternoon. When I complained, I was told the manager could see me in 45 minutes as he was helping with the dinner arrangements. The noise was unacceptable. I was further assured that they “should leave by 10pm”. As an excuse, I was told that no one else had complained before, and that it was an old building. I decided to leave with my girlfriend as I was there on a Saturday night and wanted proper sleep. I was told my £65 deposit could not be refunded as it was non-refundable. After various arguments, they finally refunded it. But the manager's attitude when refunding it was unacceptable as well, as I they were doing me a favour. I definitely recommended not going to this hotel. Also, I saw cobwebs in the ceilings - the hotel is old, and dirty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
baytreemanager, General Manager at Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I am so disappointed that your stay with us started and ended in the way that it did.

With the greatest sincerity, I am truly sorry about what you experienced and you felt the need to leave, but please rest assured I take your feedback seriously and will do everything I can to ensure my guests never encounter the level of service that you received, again.

Warmth and caring about our guests is really the most fundamental expectation I have of my team. My guests should never experience anything but genuine hospitality and help. Any service you receive here is a direct reflection of me and I hope from this, you understand and trust that I will make this right.

As for the oversight on our housekeeping, I can only apologise. As you rightly point out, the hotel is old - this is a great part of its charm and appeal to many guests, but it is challenging to sometimes keep up with our eight-legged friends in high places, but I can assure you that this by no means compromises the overall cleanliness of the hotel.

I would like to thank you for your feedback, because although it may be disheartening for me to read, it is the only way we can seek to improve our methods. I do hope I can encourage you to come back and experience a greatly improved service, with less evidence of visits from our eight-legged friends!

Kindest Regards,

Jules Simms

Been to Bay Tree Hotel? Share your experiences!