“A mixed bag.” 3 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Romsley, United Kingdom
“A mixed bag.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Generally dine at this restaurant when in Nottingham as service and food is usually very good. Pre meal drinks at the bar were in a relaxed manner with good service. Once at the table service was very good from the waiter giving just about the right amount of time to decide on that evenings fayre. All starters were very good but when it came to the main course I drew the short straw with the Swordfish, although well presented it lacked any sort of taste even though it was meant to have been cooked in garlic, very bland with no texture or the usual taste of swordfish. Desserts were excellent with the Panna Cotta saving the day and proving to be one of the best I have ever had. Wine was excellent and overall service very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Nottingham
“Good food shame about the noise and table”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I booked a table for 4 for a Saturday night as a treat for my partner's Birthday. Earlier in the day I received a call to check we were still coming.

Upon arrival we were greated by the cheerful Maître-d' who promptly took our coats for us and then were told the table wasn't quite ready so would we mind waiting in the bar. All fine until the wait turned into 20 minutes.

After a long wait, which I wouldn't excpect when I had booked in advance, a waitress came over to show us to our table. I was quite disappointed by the location of our table, having requested a table in the restaurant area we were actually seated in the bar area (and right by the door). I didn't raise this at the time as it was already nearing 9:30pm and everyone was quite hungry.

The food and wine was delicious and everyone in our party seemed very pleased with each course (we went for the full 3!) They used quality ingredients & it wasn't too overpriced. They even let me change my dessert slightly. We did have to remind them about tap water requests as they didn't seem to like serving it. My friend had to get up to ask the M-d' in the end before it was brought over.

Being in the bar area space was limited and I had staff and other customers knocking into to me, at one point I received a hard knock from a dish against my arm (which in turn knocked my fork from my hand).

As an Itallian restaurant you'd excpect it to be a little noisy however, we literally had to shout to each other (even those sat gesture us). There was a large party sat right behind us that was ridiculously loud and a few other tables that were of similar volume. I know this is not the fault of the staff however asking them to quiten down a bit might have been a good idea. (The restaurant area seemed to be a bit more civilised than the bar side).

Overall they are lucky the food and the M-'d were so good otherwise this would have been a disastrous evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Not going to back to this restaurant, would not recommend.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have ignored the reviews and given this restaurant two chances. Food has been extremely nice both times. However the service and attitude of the staff was enough to put me and my wife ever going again. The first time it took half an hour to take orders and half an hour to get the bill, when we asked to pay by card it took another 20 mins. No exaggeration. The second time we were in a large party, the service was slow again. The waitress knocked a whole jar of water on my wife and let the jar land on my wife´s back. All staff apologised at the time however did not give any discount to the meal, the manager I quote said "its just a bit of water" and laughed. The manager´s attitude just completely us off. I would not recommend this restaurant or go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, England
“Not great service - pretty unattentive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We've eaten here several times. Mostly its been very nice....but this time it was a definite miss. The service was slow, the food warm (but not piping hot) - the waitress knocked over and broke a dessert glass on the table which contained coffee - this marked my friends shirt. There was an apology but that was all. Overall - not the best.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
UK
“The only thing good on the menu were the desserts.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Made reservations for dinner at Piccolino for a Thursday evening, and upon arrival, we were ushered to our table promptly. The ambience of the restaurant was really good; dimmed lights, and it was quiet enough for a good conversation. We were brought the menus by a very friendly waiter, who assured us that the pizzas were good, and he even named a few of his favourite pasta dishes. For starters, we had the Carpaccio, which was great, and the Calamari fritti, which was prepared with frozen squid, not great at all. For our main course, I ordered pasta with shrimp, whereas my partner ordered a Margherita pizza. However, when our food arrived, I found the pasta swimming in quite a substantial amount of broth (something I have never seen in Italian cooking) which wasn't very tasty. The Margherita pizza lacked toppings, and not to mention, came with numerous slices of garlic in it, something that is also unheard of in Margherita pizzas. We took a chance ordering dessert, especially considering the subpar mains. The panna cotta which requested to come with a mixed berries compote instead of poached pears was just wonderful, and I love how it was flecked with tiny vanilla seeds. The chocolate tortino, was dark and rich. Served with a salted caramel ice cream, we both thought it was great. Apart from the desserts, the food wasn't all that great.

• Visited January 2013