“A lovely meal and the best steak I have ever had” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #140 of 1,115 Restaurants in Nottingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Opened in 2006, The Larder is located in the Grade II listed Victorian building that was once home to the apothecary shop that went on to become the pharmaceutical giant Boot's. The house style is an emphasis on simplicity & quality of cooking, with a menu that changes daily to take advantage of seasonal ingredients. Service is knowledgeable yet relaxed & unpretentious. Michelin, Harden's & Good Food Guide listed.
london
“A lovely meal and the best steak I have ever had”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We went here for a bite to eat in between Xmas and NYE and I absolutely loved it. It is in a great spot right in Hockley, and it is up some stairs and so feels like a secret find. It is a smallish place, and felt intimate. The food was delicious. I had salmon to start and my husband had the ham hock terrine - both were excellent. We then both had steak which was a great choice. The wine was great and the service relaxed but efficient. Highly recommended I would love to go there again!

Visited December 2013

Carson, California
“Best place we ate in the UK.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Was recommended to us by helpful staff on the tourist information center. Hard to find but very close to where we were staying (The Mercure). Beautiful dining room, very romantic (candles everywhere!). The menu was very short but we didn't mind, all of our choices were delicious. I had a cod with a kind of deconstructed tartar sauce; a bit unusual but very tasty. My husband had a lamb starter which he refused to share (guess he liked it!!). Main course he ate a hanging steak. He eats a LOT of steak and said it was one of the best he's had. Great desserts (sorry, puddings!) and reasonable prices too. The very lovely wait staff recommended a trip to Boiler Room bar just a few doors away which was great for an after dinner cocktail...or two!

“Good, but doesn't amaze”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I'd heard amazing things about TLOGG and have now been twice and they failed to impress either time.

Of the 3 wines I've tried none have had the quality to match the £20 price tags, not one of the starters I've seen servered has been hot - all cold dishes, presumably prepared we in advance. Nice, but lazy.

However, the Hanger steak was very good, the decor is charming and the service excellent.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“not good enough”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Booked following good review in Telegraph. Not up to expectations. Shown to table with six crowded seats ,worst in restaurant, and cold,( the staff not bothering to move the seats which were in the way). Staff reluctant to move us until I really pushed the point!
Food was good but portions poor and request for extra vegetables resulted in pots of very difficult to eat Italian cabbage. Puddings were small and not really good enough. Went home somewhat hungry despite Christmas 3 course meal! I might add I am not someone who likes really large portions.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“High expectations, few were met”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We had our work Christmas dinner here, on paper it looked lovely. When we arrived it seemed classy and nice. However;
The food proportions of what was paid were small i.e. 2 potatoes and 3 sliced sprouts
The service wasn't good - no one checking if the food was ok etc
The menu did not say if nuts where on or in any dishes which is potentially dangerous
They added a charge for service which for everything seemed extortionate.

It is a shame, we all really wanted to enjoy it but no one was happy by the time we left

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere