We stayed for 1 awful night (Saturday 6 October) after going tot the goose fair. I'll start at the beginning, when we arrived.
1) there was a huge queue at reception, with 1 receptionist working. We asked her where the parking was and what was the best way to get to the fair, 2 easy questions that she couldn't answer. She had to ask the manager. (By the way, parking is difficult to find in the one way system, but is only 10 minute walk across the road. Travelodge do a discount, £8.50 per 24 hours, normally £16.00.
2) the room was a typical Travelodge room, no trouble there. It was clean. There were only 2 towels for the three of us.
3) the room (on the first floor) was incredibly noisy both inside on the corridors and outside the window. There were people shouting, screaming and drinking in the corridors up to 6am. There were drunk people knocking on our door in the middle of the night, as they thought it was their room. Nightmare. We had about 2 hours broken sleep.
4) the fire alarm went of twice at 4am and 4.15 am. The seven storey hotel only evacuated about 30 people, so I'm not convinced adequate fire safety checks took place. Obviously some drunk individual set off the alarm by smoking. We were about to go home after the second, but had paid £7 for breakfast so thought we'd stay around and try and rescue our stay.
5) breakfast was absolutely terrible. We arrived and the receptionist gave us 2 bowls and 3 plates. she said 'sorry, we dont have another bowl'. This is a seven storey hotel with a dining room filled with about 20 people. There were a few different cereals, grapefruit and bacon, tomato, sausage, scrambled eggs, beans, but only the bacon and sausage had any food left in. There was no milk for cereal. There were no mugs for coffee. When we asked if we could have 3 mugs, she said that they didn't have any left. A couple on the next table asked for a knife and fork, again, they were told that they didn't have any left. We ate our cereal with teaspoons, since there weren't any dessert spoons and we weren't going to receive any mugs for coffee! Staff were on the whole unhelpful, simply saying 'Sorry, we don't have...'
All in all, I cannot stress strongly enough how terrible this stay was. We have stayed in several Travelodges, and we know they are a mixed bunch, but this was the worst we have ever stayed in. I don't think I'm capable of describing in words how awful this stay was.
Total cost was £61 for a family room (3 people sharing plus breakfast for 1 night).
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for your comment.
We are sorry to learn about your disappointing stay.
The points you’ve raised will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.
Your feedback is important to us, and we would like to investigate the issues. To assist us with this, please can you visit our main Travelodge website and use the new ‘Contact Us’ form, to provide us with full details of your issues and your booking number.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.