“Good and bad” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Good and bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014

I visited Rakonto after purchasing a deal on Wowcher. The deal included a pizza, a cocktail and a dessert. On arrival I was a little disappointed on the shabbiness of the place. There was a rather fusty smell! The service / staff are not particularly welcoming and friendly - not rude or anything, just more like they couldn't be bothered to be there. It wasn't very busy at all and you felt like you had to whisper. It took quite some time for our cocktails to arrive, given that there were only two / three other tables occupied we really couldn't understand having to wait 15/20 for a drink. The soft drinks are quite expensive for small flat coke. However, the pizza was delicious. It was cooked while we waited as you can see the kitchen is open from the seating area. Pizza came on a pizza board with our own pizza cutter / roller which we thought was a great touch. Dessert however was probably one of the worst I have ever eaten. Truly awful. Cheesecake, but tasted of nothing and had a very peculiar texture (we thought it was out the freezer from some cheap discount store). Overall, it was a cheap night out due to the deal. I would perhaps give it another go as the pizza was very nice but wouldn't bother with any starters or desserts.

• Visited August 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“False advertising”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

We booked here before going to a show at the Arena,, All you can eat, Currys, Pasta, Pizza and Grills...
1 choice of starter, 2 choice of curries, 1 pasta dish, 1 pizza..
4 Chinese...hmm I dont like Chinese food, so if i had known this i would not of booked,,I asked what the grills was and got told spare ribs...
Dessert was, fruit, cheesecake or choc cake.. for £13 each,, it is not good.....

• Visited September 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Service good, food average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

I treated my sister to lunch here. It was empty to start off with and so would expect the service to be good. The starter was tasty and ample. The main was too spicy, the meat was tough and fatty so was not impressed. Dessert was offered as a gesture of goodwill though I would have preferred our glasses of wine not to be charged for instead (the wine was over £5 a glass). Personally, I would not return to Rakonto.

• Visited September 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Superb everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Another visit, courtesy of Groupon, but one restaurant we shall definitely be returning to! The food was excellent - we had the platter of a range of ethnic foods, accompanied by a mixed salad & coleslaw. The background music wasn't too loud, & played a mixture of good songs/instrumentals to appeal to all. The service was brilliant, & although the toilets were upstairs, there was one for the disabled on the ground floor. It was the first time I'd tried piri piri chicken & I liked it; I don't normally like BBQ Sauce, but, as it was part of the dish, I tried it & it was delicious. Oh yes, we will certainly return...!

“Fantastic value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

We came here last night (29.08.14) purely on the basis that we'd got a Groupon voucher and really weren't expecting much for a £19 three course meal for two deal. How wrong were we!
We arrived early as we were going to a later cinema screening so the restaurant was fairly quiet although the nice music and decor still gave the place a nice feel.
The deal allowed us to pick two starters up to the value of £5.50 (which is any starter on the menu) we chose Halloumi and the Caribbean Salad, both lovely, for the main course you can choose anything up to the value of £9.95 or pay the difference on anything more expensive, we had the Chicken Karahi and a Cajun Chicken Sizzler, with the biggest garlic naan bread I have ever seen! Both mains were absolutely delicious, my karahi had just the right amount of spice.
For dessert we both went for the cheesecake and I've never seen portions like it in my life, easily enough for four people!
With two large glasses of Pinot Grigio, two Peronis, and extra for the sizzler, the reminder of our bill was £19.85, they didn't even charge for the naan bread, and for what we got we feel like we got a bargain.
There were only two staff working who were both very attentive and friendly despite being very busy by the time we left so I can see how people might end up waiting for service but we had no problems at all and were very happy with the service we received.

Tip: If you are using a Groupon Voucher download it to your phone before going to the restaurant, the phone signal there (EE) is terrible and my partner couldn't download it to his phone.

All in all a fantastic evening and we'll definitely be back!

• Visited August 2014