“Wow ! A hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De Vere Venues East Midlands Conference Centre & Orchard Hotel

You added De Vere Venues East Midlands Conference Centre & Orchard Hotel to your Saves list
De Vere Venues East Midlands Conference Centre & Orchard Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   University Park, The University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RJ , England   |
Ranked #3 of 57 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersGold level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Wow ! A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Cost data : Prebooked, prepaid internet deal 20 pounds per room per night plus 7.50 pp breakfast.

I wouldn't normally have considered this hotel given it's location outside the city centre, but I was sent an email from DeVere with a 20 pound a night offer so I thought, why not.

How glad we were we took up their offer. The hotel is stylishly modern and is set in the beautifully laid out campus of Nottingham University. Rooms were good - fantastic shower rooms, comfy beds/pillows. Staff friendly in a genuine way - not just 'tick box' friendly. We didn't eat there in the evening but the menu looked good. We did have breakfast and I enjoyed that thoroughly - plenty of choice buffet style so if you leave hungry - your fault.

Unless you need to be in the City Centre at night for a specific reason, this would be my first choice. The hotel is about 3 miles out so easy car/taxi journey. We wandered around the campus in the evening - there are some walks through the various garden/lake areas which were very nice indeed. I will certainly stay here again if I'm in the area.

The hotel is opposite a smallish Conference Centre (where I suspect most of it's trade originates), but I wonder if they do 'deals' on non-conference days ? Worth asking.

Room Tip: Set in a campus area so I'm guessing most rooms are fairly quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Venues East Midlands Conference Centre & Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013

Lasse Högberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I cam here for a conference at the EMCC and stayed two nights at the Orchard Hotel next to it. The whole concept has been very well thought out, and the journey between hotel and conference facilities took about 30 seconds in the morning. The hotel is new, light, bright and airy, with a quirky Scandinavian type of decor. In the lounge/business centre area, there are long solid pine tables complete with large Macs with free internet access both on these, and throughout the hotel and conference centre. Service was faultless and very friendly, the reception area particularly good. The rooms have floor to ceiling windows and decor aimed at reinforcing their "green " credentials. Very comfortable and had everything you could need. Tea and coffee and fresh fruit were freely available at all times in both hotel and conference centre and the very reasonably priced bar provides a great place to linger with friends, or grab a bite to eat. Breakfast was buffet style and had a wide variety of hot and cold foods. Tea and coffee were fresh and hot and requests for specialty teas/decaf/soya milk were all met efficiently and with a smile. Great facility, well thought out, meets every need of a conference centre and delegates. I would certainly look to use this venue again - especially as it is also situated surrounded by beautiful parkland.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Berkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

As regular visitors to Nottingham, I tried aforementioned hotel.
Bricks and mortar and surrounds do not make hotel 4 star - product and service offered is what makes hotel rating.
Room booked with two occupants, towels set for one had to scan room for further towels only to find eventually and almost dry by know!! placed in back cupboard above mini bar, thank goodness I am 6'5" anyone else where is the chair that I can stand on!!
That is after the shower did not drain and ending up with a foot bath/paddling pool.
Breakfast - Well sitting in a refectory is one thing, but call me old fashioned I do like cup and saucer, with suddo mug and no where to place dirty spoons after use, not the way...
I could have overlooked the spoon issue if my cooked breakfast had been HOT, left it, as it was stone cold all elements.
As a good patron I completed by views on room service card rating. On checking out I was asked the usual if not genuine question 'How was my stay' answered with all of above. Of course duty manager was called. I was duly told that hotel is of a Swedish style. Hell I am staying in a English hotel and historic county. Anyway I was told I would receive email referring to my comments.
De Vere Nottingham I am still waiting!!
So all future trips will be staying at the welcoming hotel and service of a hotel that takes its name from a famous golf complex. I will leave you to figure that one.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. Clearly we have failed to meet your expectations and as you can see i do personally acknowlde all feedback. I can apologise if i have not managed to come back to you.

I am incredibly passionate about the service we offer to all our guests and i have addrressed some of the areas you have highlighted that require improving. I do hope that when you have a great stay at the other hotel in Nottingham when you next return to the city.

Wishing you the very best,

Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect of a hotel on a university campus - but we were delighted. Beautiful grounds, light and spacious hotel, helpful staff and a good breakfast too. Also very convenient given that we were there for the Nottingham Uni open day!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Roma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed three nights and had not even the smallest issue. This is a really beautiful brand new hotel. A gorgeous building perfectly fit in the Nature of the University park. Excellent breakfast, absolutely quite rooms. Professional staff. The conference centre is also nice and perfectly functional.

• Stayed June 2013

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

my daughter and I booked this hotel based on the reviews. We were presenting at an exhibition and instead of driving up on the day we wanted a full nights sleep in a hotel so we were refreshed and ready to work. The hotel was lovely and clean so we had high expectations. However things went down hill rapidly. We are both allergic to air conditioning and the room had full air conditioning. We requested the AC be turned off and someone came to the room to turn it off. I explained we had very adverse reactions to AC and it must be completely off. He assured me he had done as I asked. By 1.00am the air conditioning was stlll on and we had started to show the symptoms that we know so well. I called reception to ask them to sort out the issue. They told me they would either turn it off or move us to another room. After half an hour no one had attended to our request. I called again and was told "sorry we have forgotten about this we are very busy" at which point I had just 4 hours till I needed to wake up for my busy day ahead. i told reception not to bother we would have to live with it. Predictably we didn't sleep well and awoke with swollen faces, sore throats and headaches. We may just as well have driven up on the day we would have been more prepared to give our best at the exhibition. We lodged a complaint in the morning. We have since received an email stating that the hotel are sorry they will follow up with the employee and if we are back in Nottingham they will arrange a special rate for our stay. We are unlikely to be in Nottingham again as this was a one off work engagement.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to take this opportunity to respond. I have spoken to my Front of House Manager, Night Manager and Maintenance Manager before i compilling this response.

I fully understand that we have failed to meet your expectations, however some of the feedback does not reflect the actoin we took during your stay. If we were aware prior to arrival we could have made the necessary arrangments to deal with your concerns with our air cooling system.

The night team actually switched off the a/c in the room, which you thanked them for. The diagnostic report shows that the unit was shut down. The nature of the system, will only switch back on if the external temparture falls below 14 C, this is a fail safe built into every unit in every room.

Once again i can only sincerely apologise.

Wishing you the very best,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The accommodation is great, beds comfortable, staff friendly but need a few pointers and the menu for meals in the evening was a little too special and details.....important to customers ....missing from food description on the menu. For instance the home made burger did not show it had bacon on top on the menu and neither did it suggest cheese. Had I been told or asked I would have been able to decline. That said, for a person who does not eat burgers....minus the cheese and bacon it was very nice. Staff did take on my concerns.

The breakfast....well that is worth a visit even if not staying at the hotel. Amazing choice of fresh fruits, yoghurts, cooked foods, continental meats, cheese, breads and croissants..... and that is not the end of it.

I will stay here again without a second thought....my only wish would be for a pool in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for some fantastic comments. I do hope you choose the Orchard when you are next in Nottingham. Your comments have been noted and actioned.

Lasse Högberg

Been to De Vere Venues East Midlands Conference Centre & Orchard Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about De Vere Venues East Midlands Conference Centre & Orchard Hotel

Address: University Park, The University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RJ , England
Location: United Kingdom > England > Nottinghamshire > Nottingham
Ranked #3 of 57 Hotels in Nottingham
Hotel Class:4 star — De Vere Venues East Midlands Conference Centre & Orchard Hotel 4*
Adjacent to the East Midlands Conference Centre, architects and interior designers have developed the eco-friendly building featuring accessible rooftop terraces, green roofs and maximum use of natural daylight. Spanning 330 acres, hotel incorporates an executive lounge, 160-cover restaurant, bar area, outside terrace, gym and four meeting rooms. Built to the highest environmental standards, the hotel will feature state-of-the-art technology to reduce carbon emissions. Solar photovoltaic panels and ground-sourced heat technology are also incorporated. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your De Vere Venues East Midlands Conference Centre & Orchard Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage De Vere Venues East Midlands Conference Centre & Orchard Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.