“Basic & cheap but fine” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 56 Hotels in Nottingham
Chester, England
“Basic & cheap but fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Group of 7 of stayed here for one night ahead of rowing event (20 min drive to Holme Pierrepoint). We booked two rooms - family room and triple. The price given on website for the family room was for three people staying in it - so although there are beds for four people we had to pay a £15 supplement for the fourth person. On average the price was just over £19 each for bed and breakfast for the seven of us and at that price your expectations should not be high!

So the decor was a bit dated and parts could do with modernising and sprucing up but overall the room and bathroom were clean and we had no disturbance from other guests and as our rooms were in the back annexe we did not have any road noise either. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Breakfast was fine - buffet style cereals, muffins etc and cooked breakfast to order so perfect for rowers!

Staff - friendly and helpful. On booking, the receptionist offered to bring time of breakfast forward by an hour from usual time so we did not miss out which was kind and helpful.

Parking was in the hotel car park at the front and felt reasonably safe.

So if you are looking for a luxury, romantic get away this is probably not the place but if you are looking for just a cheap bed for the night then this is the place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Thai first
Arlesey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here last night, we were going into town for a family party. When we checked in we were giving a warm welcome and shown to our rooms and given good instructions of where everything was and what to do if we needed anything. The rooms were very basic but clean. For us this room was just used I sleep in so was perfect, we had tea and coffee facilities for the morning and when we went down to breakfast the service was above and beyond what I would expect for the price of this hotel! We were given a full English which was lovely, juice and tea and coffee which was constantly being refilled. There was a choice of cereals, fruits, pastries and yogurts! This room cost me and my boyfriend £45 for this you should expect a basic room, and for the service and breakfast I would say well worth it for an over night stop

• Stayed January 2013
West Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The rooms were clean and tidy. The beds were comfortable. However, the noise from the room above was very loud and did disturb our sleep. The room had tea and coffee which was great.The cooked breakfast was lovely with a very tasty vegetarian option. The breakfast room was quite small so people were told to return or sit and wait for a table, which made us feel uncomfortable. The free wifi worked very well.

Room Tip: Stayed on the ground floor but was disturbed by noise from the higher floor so maybe it's better...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed for one-night and booked an en-suite single (with no breakfast) as I was travelling on my own. I only really needed the room as a "pit-stop" as I had an early start in Nottingham City Centre.

I arrived late into the evening to a very warm welcome. After being shown to my room I discovered a rather basic but decent sized room and en-suite with all the facilities you would expect as well a few nice surprises; a sweet on the pillow and complimentary shampoo/shower gel. Both the room and en-suite were very clean.

Overall, I didn't have the best nights sleep, although this might have been due to the fact that I arrived late after a long journey. The bed was adequate, but wasn't the most comfortable; it was very creaky. I also found that the curtains didn't particularly darken the room from the orange lights of a near-by supermarket/block of flats. The hotel is located on a busy road but don't let this put you off staying, my room was quite all night.

The shower was not the most powerful and although I left the water running for a few minutes, as instructed, the hot water didn't last for more than a few minutes allowing just enough time to have a wash.

Overall, this hotel is perfect if you are on a budget and/or travelling. Very clean and great service. The £29.00 I paid for the night, with free on-site parking and wifi, was a massive bargain and I would certainly stay again and recommend the Commodore.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
cannock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Clean & tidy. Comfy beds. We were here on a stag do & had a 3 bed room which was large. Shower could have been a bit more powerful but had shampoo & shower gel. Free tea & coffee in room was good. Breakfast very nice & although they were really busy it didn't take long for us to be seated & served. Free wifi was slow but not the be all & end all. Bit out of town as we had to get taxis in but only £8 so that was ok.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed in a single here during September. As I had established with google streetview in advance although the hotel is on one of the main arterial routes a couple of miles north out of the city centre, the building is well set back from the road behind it's own car park and the rooms are actually quite peaceful just as expected. Although the decor is simple and basic, everything was clean and correct . The new owner/manager has had the foresight to install two WIFI routers in the building so the free WIFI signal is strong. Finally, for those like me sick of cooked breakfasts, there are also basic buffet style alternatives and I am sure the manager would switch to this 100% if they could.
All in all, I felt the WIFI, proper parking , breakfast and ensuite made this hotel very good value. The single rooms are big enough to accommodate small double beds and for the future elsewhere I have decided I will pay for doubles but this is not a complaint as I knew I was getting a single in this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

What a pleasant experience from start to finish.

We arrived and all of our room keys were ready. The lady was most polite and helpful, showing us all to our bedrooms.

She allowed us to sit outside in the sunshine, drinking our own beers at her tables, which a lot of other places would be funny about.

The bedrooms were clean and tidy and towels were provided already. The cost of the room was superb value for money. Nottingham was only a short taxi ride away - the lady even provided us with the local taxi numbers.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Commodore Hotel? Share your experiences!