“Room for the Night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St James Hotel

You added St James Hotel to your Saves list
St James Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rutland Street, Nottingham NG1 6EB, England (Formerly Rutland Square Hotel)   |
Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Nottingham
Eastwood, United Kingdom
“Room for the Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The St. James is an excellent centrally located hotel in Nottingham. I stayed in a Crash Pad style room which are small but perfectly formed for an overnight stay. All the facilities you require in a modern and fresh environment. Bed and breakfast was £68 which seemed pretty reasonable for the quality of accommodation.

Room Tip: Crash pad fine if staying on own, would recommend twin or classic double for two in a room
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Chris H, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Glenn

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the St James Hotel, your comments are very much appreciated.

It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. We have recently completed a full refurbishment programme, so it is especially nice to receive positive comments referring to our quality accommodation and the modern and fresh environment.

Once again many thanks for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Merry Christmas.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed as a couple in a twin room that was just the right size and bathroom was great Water pressure absolutely great too! The décor of this hotel is seductive and warm in golds silvers purples and greys Lovely warm cosy room cleanliness very high Fab bath sheets soft and fluffy.The lighting is amazing Everything was quiet and the beds are soft and comfortable. The staff were all very attentive and friendly Great breakfast which was too big for us! Some comments here are unfair I thought this is best hotel in Nottingham, Fab location took 10 mins to walk from railway station and close to all that Nottingham has to offer which is quite a lot! Will definitely stay again

Room Tip: Just stay here!!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris D, Director of Sales at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Pammie

Thank you so much for your comments, they are genuinely appreciated and we completely agree with you that we are the best hotel in town!!

Wishing you a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year, please do visit us again soon.

ESSEX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here for a lads weekend, very nice but looking back maybe a bit to posh for 16 fellas, only 5 mins and your in the middle of it all, didn't have the breakfast as a couple of the lads said it wasn't great, very clean, also very strict whAtch your language they have a security man there that won't give you a second chance if he hears any swearing he have you out .
We got a room next to the lift shaft so that's all you could hear
But was a nice hotel.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback, I hope you all had a good time on your weekend.

If you ever get the opportunity to visit us again I would encourage you to try the breakfast for yourself.

We hope to see you again.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed just one night. Room itself was ok but a bit on the small side. Too many big chairs which just took up too much space. Bathroom however, was absolutely massive. Shower over bath with a screen, which I never like and water leaked out over the bathroom floor. We were on a high floor and had good views over the city. I think we were next to a fancy suite as we were woken up in the morning by neighbours playing on their piano! Decor not really my taste and I thought it was on the expensive side for a hotel of this nature. Didn't eat in hotel so can't comment on food.

• Stayed November 2014
Dear Mr Fadden

Thank you very much for your comments. We will ensure that the shower screen in your room is looked at as soon as possible.

Our Penthouse Suite does indeed have a baby grand piano, apologies if this caused you any disruption.

We hope to see you again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had to book a hotel in Nottingham at really short notice, and it was the St. James ... for one night in October. Sad to say I didn't get to see much of it this time, but I would love to go back and as soon as possible! Alas .. so many nice places ... and only so much time!!!

I checked in very late, sometime after midnight, following a Business Reception, and slightly the worse for wear from champagne .. oh dear !! However, the lovely barman organised a wonderful snack for me, and I sat beside the beautiful open fire and enjoyed some wine with it. A wonderful gentleman, most obliging and accommodating ... and the food, drink and ambience was wonderful, even though I was on the only one in the residents bar ... he said there might be more later, but I was too tired, as much as I would have like some more socialisaing !!! oh dear ..

My room was small, which I had guessed it would be ... but perfectly adequate in every way.

I had to leave next morning, so did not sample breakfast. Next time I will. Good memories of the St. James ... albeit on a short acquaintance!

Room Tip: I must clarify ... I wouldn't say the hotel is "quaint" ... the residents bar certai...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Dear Lucretia

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback, it is very much appreciated and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We very much hope to see you again on your next visit to Nottingham.

Wishing you a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Wokingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is described as a boutique hotel although I was never sure what that was meant to imply. The hotel was convenient for the event that we were attending.
Reception staff were good and helpful.
A glass of free wine was offered between 6 and 7 the evening of our arrival but in reality it was a slightly unpalatable house wine.
The room was a standard double but was small and the bed was so close to one wall that the occupant just had room to squeeze between the bed and the wall.
Otherwise the bed was comfortable. The bathroom adequate with shower gels and lotions provided. Lift next to the room was noisy and it was necessary to have the fan heater on all night to provide a degree of warmth.
Parking was either next to the hotel although this was severely restricted by pillars supporting the adjacent NCP car park. I had to use the NCP and the hotel give a ticket to reduce the cost to £9.50 compared with the cost of their own carpark at £8.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Chris H, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Malcolm

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at the St James Hotel, your feedback is very much appreciated.

It was pleasing to read that you found my team on reception to be helpful. I will of course pass on your comments to them.

I was however a little disappointed that your accommodation did not meet with your expectations. The size of our bedrooms do vary from room type to room type, but your comments have been taken on board.

I am sorry that you did not favour the complimentary glasses of wine. Generally the majority of our guests are surprised to receive the wine vouchers, and I am unaware of any other comments relating to the quality of the free wine.

Unfortunately the hotel does not have it own private parking facilities. However when available we can offer NCP spaces adjacent to the hotel at a reduced guest rate of £8.00. if these spaces are full which is more often than not, then we are also able to offer a reduced guest rate of £9.50 per 24 hours in the NCP multi storey parking next to the hotel.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Kindest regards

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

What a great boutique, funky hotel I thought as I browsed the website, and what a reasonable price too. Winner.

However, when we got there and had checked in we moved into the lifts that are obviously old stock with vomit inducing multi-coloured carpet and a Sonos sound system that was never switched on for some reason. Although the twinkle lights in the ceiling were a nice touch.

We then got to our room which was actually very small and pretty dark with a bathroom that could only be described as basic. So basic in fact that the shower had almost no pressure (and only slightly more hot water) so I was forced to take baths and use the shower hose to (very slowly) wash my hair.

Service standards were OK, although when I asked at the bar for some glasses and ice to be sent upstairs I was actually presented them on a tray and asked to take them up myself, first time I have ever delivered my own room service.

Breakfast had a decent amount of selection, but quality was low. Especially on the cooked items - stick to the mushrooms and eggs because cooking frozen hash browns seemed to be beyond the chef, as was procuring a sausage that actually tasted of sausage and not just full of breadcrumb filler.

In terms of location and price, it's tough to be beat, but I'd probably pay a little extra and go to the Park Plaza for more space and brighter rooms.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Chris H, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Rich

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the St James Hotel, your comments are greatly appreciated.

I was sorry to read that you were not in favour of the new décor within the hotel. The vast majority of feedback relating to our refurbishment has been very positive, however we fully appreciate that interior design is very much down to personal taste.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your accommodation and bathroom, these issues have been taken on board and are being looked in to.

I am currently in talks with my bar manager as to why it was deemed acceptable for you to be expected to take your own glasses and ice up to your room, especially when the request was for them to be delivered. This is clearly unacceptable and is not the standard of service that we pride ourselves on.

We have worked hard to develop our breakfast in terms of the quality of items on offer and standards of service. The St James Hotel supports local independent suppliers who are able to offer us quality produce, so again a little frustrated by your comments, but they are valid and are being investigated.

Once again thank you for your feedback, and I hope that the issues that you have raised do not deter you from returning.

Deputy General Manager

Been to St James Hotel? Share your experiences!