“Best family eatery and coffee house in Mapperley” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Small cafe/cooffe bar, restaurant and watering hole with outside space on Mapperley "top"
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Best family eatery and coffee house in Mapperley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

First visit to Capers for a Sunday breakfast with my wife and two children. The staff were very attentive and friendly and the food was delicious. We were made to feel like family, there were also lots of books for the children to read which kept them occupied! I wanted to write a review after reading some of the other dreadful reviews others have felt necessary to write. My experience was fantastic and I will definitely be back with my children again!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Is it me?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My recent experience at Capers has caused me to write my first ever Trip Advisor review! I have been a couple of times before and have enjoyed the outside which can be beautiful in the sunshine and I've always found the menu appealing. However, I have found the staff to be fairly unfriendly and lacking in basic courtesy.

I had planned to go for a spot of lunch but found myself not wanting to stay. Everything seemed a bit too much hassle for them. When ordering a pot of tea the waitress' response was "is that all?" I know that could be a perfectly normal comment but it was said in an abrupt tone. It was by no means the nail in the coffin but when I asked another member of staff what the soup of the day was it was clear that she thought me a complete imbecile for not having seen one of the signs dotted around - one of which informed patrons that it was Onion soup.

I was surprised to be told that it is a family run establishment as there seems to be very little joy in those who work there. No one greets you with a smile for example, which leaves me asking why do they bother? - I certainly won't be in future.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nottingham
“Make sure you have plenty of time to visit. The service is slow...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have been to Capers a few times for breakfast on a Sunday morning. Today me and my friend got there as they opened, we were the 2nd table to be seated. Our orders were taken and 40 minutes later, we were still waiting for our cooked breakfasts, consisting of 1 sausage, 1 small piece of bacon, 1 fried egg, stale toast and a tinned plum tomato, for £5.95! The only reason we went there rather than Homemade in Nottingham city centre is because they open earlier and we needed to be somewhere. I was slightly concerned that my heavily pregnant friend was going to have her baby before we had our breakfast. I won't be going back in a hurry.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Customers with children made to feel very unwelcome”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Until recently this was one of my favourite places to eat. I took my daughter there recently while we met a friend who also has a baby. My friends baby slept in his pram the whole visit but my daughter made the (apparently) dreadful mistake of putting the sugar satchets on the table and then back in the pot which were on our table. A waitress MARCHED over to our table and took them away from her VERY rudely. She was impeccably behaved whilst we were there and we were made to feel very unwelcome. I have friends that have taken young children there and had similar experiences. As I an more inclined to feel like in other parts of Europe dining should be inclusive of the all family and children welcomed and not ' tolerated' bearing in mind that our visit was mid morning and not whilst others were enjoying evening meals. I would never, ever dine there with my children again- or without for that matter. Children enjoying a meal, a socialable environment should be part of our culture. I have never felt so uncomfortable when visiting anywhere with my children or made to feel so unwelcome.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“good food and lots of special touches that made it great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This place really makes a change The staff made us feel like they cared and that they were inviting us in to their own home. They were so kind and obliging and nothing seemed too much trouble. The food and the atmosphere were excellent and the garden and back area of the restaurant that we were in were lovely and just right in the sunny weather Would definitely recommend to others and would go again

• Visited April 2012