“Enjoyable meal - can't complain for the price!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Gastro Pub
Kirkby in Ashfield
“Enjoyable meal - can't complain for the price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Me and my Dad ate here just before Christmas, and had the Xmas menu, 3 courses for £15 (we paid a little extra to have steak instead of turkey). The staff were great and friendly. We had a table in the conservatory, which was a little cold, I had to leave my coat on, but I'm sure this great on Summer nights as there are excellent views.
Soup and baked brie wedges were our starters, good portions and very tasty. We both had medium sirloin steak. The plate was plentiful, great chips and whatever they did to the mushroom it was fanstastic! The steak was cooked rare rather than medium, although it was very tasty and tender that I didn't want to complain, however I can see others have commented on the cooking of steak and I can see some people would want to complain.
Rich chocolate tarts for dessert which we could barely fit in! I'd certainly give this place another visit - make sure you book it was full during our visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely fish and Chip Supper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We had a Japanese visitor and wanted to take them out to a traditional Fish and Chips supper. we were not disappointed. My sons had haddock and cod, whilst the rest of us went for the special of the day which was plaice, which was perfectly cooked in a tempura style batter. A great meal. However the beer prices were a bit steep!!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good value and taste took me back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

To childhood. Grilled fish and great home made chips and mushy peas the Derbyshire way. Not greasy at all just good taste. Visited here with my hubby and brother and sister in law who live close. The are vegetarians and really enjoyed the breaded brie and home made red onion tart. And the puddings they had were home made too. Visited on a busy Sunday lunch and service was spot on, not rushed but well paced.

Wiil visit again when visiting brother.

PS this is miles from Nottingham and I think in Derbyshire near Ripley and Heanor with agood view over the valley

Nottingham
“Shocking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We have visited the Thorn Tree on several occasions, and generally found the fried food; greasy. And I'm not referring to the chips; I mean anything else that can and is fried. So with this in mind, we tend to steer clear. "Each to their own". Well having for a while, given the grease a wide birth; we thought we would give it another go. I ordered a medium to well done steak, this was deep fried, yet mooing in the middle, ' Appauling'. The onion rings were oil rings, and dripped with grease, as did the mushroom. The driest part of the meal was, yes, the chips, the steak was so tough. The pub itself is well presented, and the staff were polite, helpful and efficiant. I will refuse to rate the food. In addition, the cutlery is stored on the table, in the dining room. Half of the forks had reminents of the last meal between their forks.So dear Manager, please review the way food is prepared. It was a costly night for us in terms of enjoyment and the overall cost of the food.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
“Traditional Fish & Chips & Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Wow, at last a proper fish and chip shop, nowhere in Nottingham can match these in my view, forget the so called fish & chips shops who sell kebab's and frozen tasteless fish.
Service was goods both in the restaurant and the take away, please keep up the quality.!