“Mixed views on 2 recent stays” 2 of 5 stars

Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #37 of 56 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Mixed views on 2 recent stays”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here twice in the last couple of weeks. The first stay was very disappointing whilst the second stay was ok. The main disappointment was the size of the Double Deluxe Room which was very small and the double bed was very small, almost like a large single. Not really acceptable. Other frustrations include the "no rooms till 3pm" lecture from the reception staff and unhelpful bar staff which gave the impression that the hotel is run for the convenience of the staff rather than the guests. There are not enough lifts and breakfast is served in the bar as there doesn't seem to be a proper restaurant. There are tatty A4 posters stuck in the lifts giving dire warnings of queues for breakfast should you turn up at popular times. The posters are poor and the queues simply not good enough. Driving to the hotel isn't easy and our Sat Nav made things worse and there is an interesting one way system to get to the hotel. Our second stay was better with an acceptable room size and our Hilton Honors welcome pack was in the room without prompting unlike the first visit. Good location at the top of the town near the main shops, theatre, cinemas and restaurants. I'd find it hard to recommend this hotel as you might be allocated the small Double Deluxe rooms which imply aren't good enough.

Room Tip: Avoid the small Double Deluxe rooms at all costs.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManager_10, General Manager at Hilton Nottingham, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Chris J,

Thank you for your recent review about your experiences at out hotel.

Although I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed our fantastica city centre location, I am however disappointed to hear that you were not fully satisfied on either of your stays at Hilton Nottingham.

I am very sorry to hear that you felt the size of your room on your previous visit was too small, however we are always happy to add requests to our guests folios for larger rooms should they be availablem, which I will be more than happy to do for you for your future visits.

We feel it is best to give our guests a warning of busy times during breakfast so you can plan your morning and activities more efficiently without having to worry about potential queues in the morning.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Grantham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

We were attending a concert at the fm arena, so as it was a present for my partner I booked the Hilton.

The intention was to have room service and a bottle of wine before the concert so that after a busy 2 weeks we could wind down ready to enjoy our evening.

How wrong was I?! We arrived to a warm greeting from the receptionist, who even informed us we'd been given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe double. It looked like it would be a good stay!!

So off we went to the top floor of the hotel..... Opened the door, and bam! I'd dread to see a standard room if that was the deluxe!! We sat on the bed, to look at the room service menu..... And bam..... Off goes the fire alarm.

So we make our way (me in stilettos) all the way down the stairs....to outside. Other guests were outside too, as were 2 fire engines. Obviously, I understand the hotel has to act on the fire alarm.... But serious lack of organisation and communication disgusted me. No body asked us our room number and in the 25minutes we were stood outside no one approached us to let us know what was happening. The was one announcement through loud speakers saying they were investigating the source of the fire.

So we had to head off elsewhere for dinner..... Or we'd be late fore the concert, I had no time to shower, change, and had to do my makeup in the restaurant toilets. But off we went to enjoy out evening.

On returning to the hotel we were allowed in!!! So we went to the bar... Lovely bar and great barman too! Then off we went to sleep. We got in the room to find someone else had also been in, and very kindly opened the window for us.... Brilliant, our room was cold and no heating controls. Thanks for that.

The next morning we went down for breakfast (the best bit of the stay) before packing up to check out.

Now.... Checkout was by Billie, who asked us how our stay was, so naturally I explained that I was unhappy and outlined the reasons above. To which she was no help whatsoever and offered us her email address so she could give us an upgrade in our next stay...... No Thanks..... That will not regain my custom.

If you want 4* quality and service in Nottingham with the same facilities as Hilton, then go to Crowne Plaza. I don't advise you to waste your time here.

• Stayed April 2013
HotelManager_10, General Manager at Hilton Nottingham, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Emma D,

Thank you for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

Although I am delighted to hear how friendly and helpful you found the staff to be upon checking In and how delicious the breakfasts were, I am very sorry to hear that you were not fully staisfied with your overall stay as a result of having to evacuate the hotel due to the Fire alarm sounding. As you can imagine Hilton Nottingham have a very strict policy on fire evacuation, which all employees must follow should the fire alarms sound. Upon hearing the fire alarm our immediate action is to ensure that all guests have been evacuated from the building safely and internal checks are done to ensure this has been completed. I am however very sorry for any inconvenience and for any delays this may have caused but I do hope that you understand that our guests safety is our priortiy in situations like this.

I am also very sorry that someone had been in and opened you window for you resulting in you being uncomfortable within your room, I will be sure to pass you feedback on ensuring that inconvenience like this can be avoided in the future.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am a regular guest at this hotel and am also a longstanding Hilton Hhonors Diamond VIP. I had booked this hotel a while in advance and saw from the Hilton website that I had been upgraded to a Deluxe Room. On checking the website again shortly before ariving, I noticed I had been downgraded to a standard room. When I called the hotel to ask why, I was told they had upgraded me too early and hotel policy was to sell the better rooms off. I know for a fact that upgrades usually take place the night before and it is unheard of to downgrade once an upgrade has been offered. I was told by the recptionist that the allocated room was larger than the deluxe room anyway. This shows a clear lack of understanding about expectations of Diamond guests and the importance of quality over quantity. The website showed both double and single deluxe rooms as being available and Customer Care also identified this availability and said they could have processed the booking for me and see what happens. The unhelpful receptionist denied such availability.Again, the room had no VIP basket and I had to go down to reception to ask for one. The nonchalant receptionist told me they had not been delivered yet. However, when I questioned the person who delivered it, he told me he was only bringing this one becasue he had been told to. I ordered a newspaper to be delivered to my room the next morning and this failed to materialise. In the restaurant, I ordered mackerel mousse as a starter and had to ask for bread to spread it on. I also had to wait 20 minutes for the main course to arrive. When I left the restaurant just before 7.00pm, I overheard the receptionist telling a guest who had been aked to wait until his room was ready, that he had been given an 'Executive' room. Why would she tell him this unless this was an upgrade. I had been told there were no such rooms available. I called Hilton Customer Care from the hotel to complain they said they had tried to call reception but nobody had answered. On the second attempt, when they asked to speak to the reception manager, they were told she was 'busy'. Customer care agreed that I had experienced very poor service. Unfortunately, I now expect such service from Hilton Nottingham and only tolerate this quality of service because I wish to retain my Diamond status. When I checked out and told the receptionist that my stay was 'adequate'. rather than follow this up, she merely smiled. It seems that Diamond members are treated no differently from others. To sum up: I was 'downgraded', had to ask for my VIP basket, received poor service in the restaurant, did not get a newspaper I had ordered and a face cloth in the bathroom was stained with brown marks. I did not go into fine detail at checkout, as I remain unconvinced that any decisive action would be taken. My next stay is imminent- I am not sure whether to defect to a more superior hotel or whether to stay loyal and be seen as a glutton for punishment....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Wonderful place right in the centre close to amenities. Lovely gym and pool. Very happy with breakfast variety and friendly, helpful, profressional staff. Reasonable sized room v quiet. Lovely building with old features - very grand. Nice products complimentary in bathroom and midday checkout meant we could enjoy the space for longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the main street to avoid noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManager_10, General Manager at Hilton Nottingham, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear E S,

Thank you so very much for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I am thrilled to hear of your fantastic experience at our hotel which you thoroughly enjoyed especially, our fantastic city centre location which provided you with immediate access to all the city ahs to offer, our brilliant Living Well facilities and finally lovely professional staff.

I will be sure to pass on your lovely kind words to all of our staff here who will be delighted to hear your very kind review.

I look forward to welocming you back to our hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is 10 mins from the train station (£5 taxi fare) and in the centre of town. It has a bar (Nicholsons) which has good reasonably priced cocktails (£6 average) but no champagne or Prosecco on the drinks menu!! The family room was big and the room was clean and well laid out. The sofa bed was nit comfortable though - very soft and low. The breakfast was amazing! If you are a light sleeper this is not the hotel for you!! All of the floorboards creak - literally - you can hear yours, the room adjacent, below and above - I kid you not! It was really bad and spoilt what could have been a 4 star experience.

Dear MNG1969,

Thank you for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I am delighted to hear that you really enjoyed your stay which was made even better by our fantastic city centre location, our brilliant bar Nicholson's, the delicious breakfast and the lovely large room you were allocated.

I am however very sorry to hear that your stay was tainted by the creaky floorboards, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we are aware of the situation you have highlighted to us in your feedback and are currently looking into many different resolutions to solve this issue as soon as possible to prevent any further inconvenience.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us again as I will be more than happy to allocate you a room on our highest floor so you will hear any floor boards creaking and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Lasswade, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I've been using this hotel for some 11 years, off and on, on business. While it's an old hotel it has had some money spent on it to keep standards up.

I have Diamond status with Hilton Honors and it gives me access to a number of privilages, like room upgrades, however, I have noticed lately here that there is a reluctance to give out the better rooms. On my most recent visit about 5 days ago I was told I was upgraded and promptly give a double room that you couldn't swing a cat in. There was only one glass for the bathroom and bedroom even though our booking was clearly for two persons and only other extras for one person.

The toilet bowel was also filthy under the rim.

I mentioned this to the receptionist and got a blank look. I was in a hurry and had to leave but on my return nothing had changed - typical laziness from some staff not local.

On my way out I passed the room service people delivering to the room next to me. When I got back later that evening the empty tray was on the floor outside the room. The following morning the tray was still there at 0930 when I went for breakfast. It was only picked up at 1100 when I was leaving. Again reflects a laziness that this hotel's management seem to tolerate.

Another issue was with the bar, which closed at 23.30 and no offering was made for residents to be looked after by night staff. In fact the young barman came over and asked us to leave the bar with our drinks and sit in the reception area. He was rather embarrassed I'd have to say and this was obviously him following the orders of management whose focus has gone from customer service to a policy of belligerance.

The staff here need a shake, they seem so de-motivated and this can only be due to poor management and they must accept their part in this poor offering.

as I said, I've been using this hotel for 11 years or so, however, this was my last visit as I will no longer tolerate such poor standards and I will instruct my people to avoid it at all costs; Diamond members or not, sometimes loyalty has to be shown as a two way process.

Room Tip: try another hotel but if you must then ask for a room on the 5th or 6th floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike2576,

Thank you for your recent review about Hilton Nottingham.

I am very sorry to hear of your poor experience here at our hotel and would like to apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

I will be sure to speak with both the Front Office team and housekeeping team to ensure that the issues you experienced at our hotel do not happen again by making certain that there are enough amenities within the room for the stated amount of occupants.

Should we have availability we ofcourse are more than happy to allocate our loyal Hilton Honours guests a room inclusive of a complimentary upgrade where you can relax and enjoy your stay, I am very sorry that you were not fully satisfied with the upgrade you were provided and will be more than happy to add a note onto your file ensuring that you are not allocated this room again.

Once again I would like to sincerely apologise for the cleanliness issue which you had to endure and can assure 100% that this is not Hilton Nottingham's usual standards and will not continue in being so. I will alert the head housekeeper here immediately to this issue and will make certain that this will not be repeated as this is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting our other hotels and hope that you will choose to return to us again as I am certain that you will not experience another visit like this at our hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just returned from a family break with our two children 7 and 10 . We were given a massive quiet family room with a large double bed, a sofa bed and a single bed. There was still room for the children to play. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel breakfast had a mix of cooked and continental, with plentiful tea , coffee and fresh juice . The food was hot and of decent quality. The pool was large and the changing facilities were clean with lots of fresh towels. We were given complimentary cosmetics in the room, which were filled up each day. Shower gel , shampoo , conditioner and body lotion.

The tv had some sky channels but there was no free wi-fi, which is now even available in most coffee shops etc. The location was great for shopping eating out and tourist attractions. There is even a bus stop outside that takes you to the National History Museum which is housed in a stately home with large grounds, a deer park and lake. A family ticket return cost only £4.00 and the house and museum is free.

The hotel was very busy as the Norwich City Football Youth team and the Middlesex Cricket team were both staying here , but at no point was our stay effected with no delays even at breakfast time.

We got a great deal at the hotel including full breakfast for all four of us , for three nights and were able to swim with the kids twice a day. I would recommend this hotel for a short break for families.

My only recommendation to the hotel is free wifi as most families travel with iPads etc to entertain the kids in the evenings.

Dear DavenP,

Thank you very much for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I am delighted to hear how fantastic your experience was whilst staying at the hotel especially the lovely large room, the friendly and helpful staff, the delicious breakfast and brilliant Living Well facilities.

I will be sure to pass on your review to the team here as they will be just as thrilled to read your review as I was.

I do hope that we can welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future.

Hotem Manager

Been to Hilton Nottingham? Share your experiences!