“Not so great...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Nottingham
Sarasota, Florida
“Not so great...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

To be honest, I had expected more from the Crowne Plaza. We had arrived there three weeks ago (as of the date of writing) quite weary from long overseas travel to find that we could not check in due to a fire that had happened earlier that day in their fitness center. No sweat; it's understandable that these things happen. We were informed that it would be a few hours before we could check in. OK. So we decided to wait in the lobby which grew colder and colder by the minute. Fine, that was manageable. Check-in time finally arrived. The line/queue instantly became rather long. Now we're grumpy. And to find out that in order to use a fitness center, we would be shuttled to another nearby hotel? Very grumpy! I'm seeing a review that other people were offered breakfast to make up for the inconvenience. It would've been a nice gesture if we had something similar offered to us, especially when we arrived on the day of the fire and had to be inconvenienced by postponing check-in for some time. I can understand something happening to the hotel that is beyond their control but hospitality was wanting.

The room was clean and plain with modern furniture. Our room happened to overlook Rock City (bar/concert hall) but the hotel did provide two pairs of excellent earplugs for use (extra points for that!). We did not make use of the bar or restaurant but there is a beautiful reception area above the lobby. We obviously could not make use of the fitness center.

The hotel location is centrally located within town, but then again there were several other hotels in the same area within walking distance of each other. A tram stop is just down at the end of the block.

We have stayed at other Crowne Plazas before and expected the same quality in management and hospitality as the others. I understand that things happen but we had definitely expected more from the hospitality department. Provision of transportation to a different facility was a nice courtesy but not the same as hospitality, in my opinion.

High points:
1. Despite overlooking Rock City, earplugs were provided.
2. Rooms were tidy and clean.

Low points:
1. Yes, fires happen and are unavoidable but the hospitality to make up for it was sorely lacking.
2. Front desk staff was rather curt during the whole check-in debacle.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Howard H,

Many thanks for you review.

My apologies that there was a delay in checking into the hotel. I am sure you can understand that the situation within the leisure club was unforeseeable and a situation that we tried our best to resolve.

I will pick up your comments regarding the receptionist's service levels when they checked you in as this is not acceptable.

It was pleasing however to read that you found your bedroom clean and tidy, I will make sure that I pass these comments onto the housekeeping team.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Very pleasant hotel, near centre but not noisy. Staff polite and helpful. Too hot for me as air conditioning does not go below 17 and you can't open any windows. Meals we had were good but one fish and chips is enough for two unless you are really hungry!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear maryanne m,

Many thanks for you recent review. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and benefited from our prime city centre location. It was particularly pleasing to read your comments regarding the friendliness of the team. This is something that we are proud of at the hotel and feel that we make a difference through the service the team give.

Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you back

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Please be aware that the limited fitness centre is no more. Due to a fire last week, it is closed indefinitely. No arrangements have been made to accommodate guests. Staff are clueless about local options.

Here are two within walking distance - 10+ minutes away:

Formula One Fitness - A cheap and cheerful with a £4 day pass. But be warned the equipment is at least twice as old as the members. This is no exaggeration. It's from the 70s while most of the members were born in the 90s.

The Gym Group - £6 but you have to pre-pay online. So crowded you have to queue for weight equipment at 6am.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Francis999,

Many thanks for your review.

With regards to the unfortunate and unforeseen closure of the leisure club since it has been closed we have made alternative arrangements for our hotel guests to use alternative facilities. These facilities are in line with what we had IE swimming pool, steam ream spa, gymnasium etc. All receptionists are aware of this and have been regularly sending guest to this leisure club so I was a little confused reading your review.

I will of course share your comments with the team to ensure they are aware

Many thanks
Operations manager
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed here recently for a night as a birthday treat from the boyfriend, i read a few reviews the night before we went and seen a lot of comments on the noise so i was a bit worried it would ruin the night. When we arrived it looked so posh and expensive, when we checked in we were told that the gym had a fire recently so was out of use, we hadn't came to use the gym but as a good will gesture they offered us a free breakfast each as it wasn't included in our room which i thought was great as i was going to ask for some sort of refund as im sure the gym adds to the price of the room which isnt cheap! Plus they offered free use of the gym in the Hilton and paid taxi to get there. We stayed in the executive king room which was amazing, the bathroom could have been a bit better as the bath was a bit small but other than that it was perfect. The bed was one of the comfiest iv slept in, there was a quite a bit of noise from the bars nearby which was quite annoying and our room was just next to the lifts and we could hear the door bang whenever someone went through, but other than i that the night was great. There are earplugs for you to use if its too noisy. In the morning we went down for breakfast on the 1st floor which was nicely decorated, the buffet breakfast was amazing so much choice and nicely cooked, not as hot as some would like but it was fine for me, i don't normally like a full English but it was nice from here, one of the waitresses was a bit snappy because we hadn't gave our names before getting our breakfast but there was nobody around to do so and we didn't know!

The only thing i would say they need is a decent tea/coffee area in the room as we had to plug the kettle in on the floor in the corner as we couldn't find a plug near a table, the room service was very expensive as expected. I didn't want to leave at the end of the trip!

Room Tip: Executive king size room was really nice and spacious and well decorated, it was spotless and being...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Kayleigh f,

Many thanks for your review regarding your recent stay. I am so pleased that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay so much that you didn’t want to leave the hotel!

Our reviews mean a lot to the team as they truly want to make our guest stay memorable by the service they provide, so rest assured your kind words will be shared with them.

I will also make sure that I pick up your feedback regarding the team member at breakfast.

Once again thank you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Derby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed for one night at the Crowne Plaza in Nottingham in March this year, as I was going out for a friends' hen party in the evening. Having lived in Nottingham whilst I attended university, I knew the hotel was centrally located, right by the tram line and Theatre Royal, only a few minutes walk to all of the bars and restaurants. Nottingham is an amazing city, with plenty to do for all ages. The night life is brilliant, so it lends itself to hen & stag parties!

I parked my car in the car park attached to the hotel, which you enter via Talbot Street. The hotel has a concessionary rate of around £12 per night. This is quite reasonable within the city centre, as from my past experience, I've found that many other car parks charge around the £16 mark. From the car park you can enter the hotel directly via stairs or a small lift, which brings you out onto the restaurant and bar floor. With this being my first visit to this hotel, I didn't know where the reception was from here, so had to ask at the bar staff, who directed me down another flight of stairs to the main reception.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming on check-in. My room was very well maintained and in great condition. I had every amenity I could have needed during my stay. There was plenty of hanging space in the wardrobe, a full length mirror, iron and ironing board and tea & coffee making facilities. The bedding was lovely quality and the bed and pillows were comfortable. In the bathroom, there were lovely extra touches, such as fragrant soap and a face cloth etc. Although I didn't use these, because I had packed my own, it was a great touch.The room wasn't incredibly spacious, but it was ideal for me and would suit a couple also. My room faced Rock City, and ear-plugs were provided by the hotel, however I returned to my room at about 2:30am and wasn't kept awake by the noise at all, so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

I didn't have breakfast in the morning, instead opting to eat out at a nearby restaurant, so I can't comment on that. I also didn't use the spa facilities or gym. The staff on check-out were just as friendly and efficient as they were when I arrived at the hotel and I left feeling very happy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Rebecca H,

Thank you so much for your recent review.

It was really pleasing to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and in particular found the team members to be helpful and friendly. Our team members are something that we are really proud of as they truly want to make a difference to our guests stay. I hope you had a great hen weekend and would like to pass our best wishes to the bride & groom.

Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Had this hotel booked for good few months now for a hen spa weekend, was meant to be getting there tomorrow evening and have only just found out ourselves that the spa has had a fire and is out of use! very disappointing and disgusting that no one has rang to let us know. the fact that they are not refunding ANY money or giving anything in return is more infuriating as this was not a cheap choice and the spa was the main bit of the party!!!! this is not a great start to the hen when we haven't even got there yet!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Emma W,

My apologies for your dissapointment regarding the leisure club being closed. I am sure you understand that this sitaution was unforeseeable. For guests that have booked direct with the hotel and we have a contact number we have been contacting them throughout the week to advise of the situation.

If your party has booked through a third party unfortunately we will not have contact details for your party and have advised all Hen group companies of the situation.

We have also been making alternative arrangements for some of our guests so I would ask that you contact the hotel directly if you are still disatisied.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Booked in on May 4th for a Spa weekend, only to be told that the Spa bit of the hotel had a fire on 2nd May and was closed!
As a sorry, the hotel offered free car parking... Wow!
The hotel was nice, restaurant nice & location is great but when you book a spa you want a spa!
I was very disappointed that the hotel didn't call or email to advise and give us the option to cancel prior to travelling.
The place smelled of smoke & to be honest I would steer clear for a while until its been refurbished .

• Stayed May 2013
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear DocWat,

Thank you for your review.

My apologies that unfortunately you were not able to use the leisure facilities during your weekend stay and that you were unaware of this prior to arrival. This week we have been concentrating on advising guest of the situation prior to arrival.

It was pleasing however that you found the hotel and restaurant to be a good standard.

Once again my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Operations Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham? Share your experiences!