“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 56 Hotels in Nottingham
N. Ireland
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

Ok, so this hotel is a little scruffy round the edges, but for the price we paid we were very pleased. We had a great room (i think it was one of the newer ones) and it was huge as it was at the end of the hallway. The staff were great and were able to give us an early check in and a late check out. The locaion is super, however it can be a bit noisy at night but you expect this from a city centre location. I wouldn't recommend eating in the hotel, we had breakfast and it was ok but I certainly wouldn't risk dinner.
Overall an enjoyable stay!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at Britannia Nottingham Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2009
Thank you very much for your review. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Westcliff, Essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

This is another 'I wish I had read the reviews before booking' review. And having seen some of the management responses on here it makes me think why management have not taken all of these reviews seriously and sorted the hotel out, because guys, seriously, it needs it!

I ackowledge that the hotel is a cheap hotel - we pad just over £40 per night for a double room, but even then there are some basics you think should be got right if you are running anything from a B&B to the Hilton.

I apologise for the length of this, but trust me, if we save one person the bother of staying here we have helped the world in some way. I have never had to complain whilst staying at a hotel in my life and I am not someone that complains for the sake of it, but oh boy, this place tested my patience.

Having arrived late on Friday night, at around 11.00pm a quick check-in would have been nice after a 4 hour car journey - our hopes were quickly dashed. The curt receptionist informed us the computer system was down so he would have to check us in manually.

We had booked two rooms - two friends staying in one, and my girlfriend and me in the other.

The computer failure meant that the receptionist could not check which rooms were empty, or clean, or either so the receptionist was sending his colleague (for the purpose of the story we'll call him Ron) to various rooms across the hotel to check if they were empty and clean. All in all, for two rooms this process took half-an-hour; this sandwiched between another guest arguing with the receptionist about whether he could be let back into his room as he had forgotten his key card.

Having finally got to our room we opened the door to an overpowering smell of damp - just unbearable.

As previous reviewers have said, the walls were dirty, cushions had stains on, windows had finger marks all over them and net curtains filthy. Bearing in mind this was 11.30pm, I reluctantly traipsed down to reception to request a change of room.

The receptionist informed me that having booked a standard room we had already been upgraded to a 'superior' room so wasn't sure if any other rooms were available, almost implying we should be grateful for where we were. With computers still down the receptionist asked Ron to check another room - thank goodness it was empty.

So at 11.45pm on a Friday night we had already changed rooms once. The second room was identical, except the sofa-bed had been laid out; until later on, we didn't realise how grateful for that that we would be.

There were hand marks all over the wall. Checking the bathroom, there was mould on the grouting, one of the floorboards on entrance to the room was coming away, finger marks all over the window again, net curtains filthy and partly unattached from the railings... I could go on...

We got to bed after midnight and just wanted to sleep. And we nearly did.... Except that not long after I lay I started to itch, quite uncontrollably! I thought it was just me, but then my girlfriend said exactly the same thing. We both were just scratching so there was no way we could sleep on that bed, so we moved to the sofa bed.

We laid down, and thankfully itched no more! We then drifted off to a peaceful night's sleep - possibly the only positive.

Already prepared to complain, having been told the night before I could only request a refund to the duty manager between 7.00am and 3.00pm, I was about to head to reception when I spotted a blood stain on the sheets; not a great start to the day.

At reception, having told the duty manager everything, I was offered ''20% off'', but I would have to contact lastminute.com myself to obtain this. I was also told the £65.28 that the receptionist had deducted from my credit card when we checked in should not had been made.

I phoned lastminute.com, and having been kept on hold for 10 minutes I rang off. I called back a little later and waited 10 minutes again and got through, but was told I would only be offered 20% off the first night! The cost of the phone call was therefore more than the refund!

That night we got back to the room to find the blood stained sheet had not been changed.

At this point I requested another room change - they declined becuase the hotel was inexplicably fully booked. Having told reception about the sheet and them saying it would be changed we went out for the evening; when we got back two hours later the sheet still hadn't been changed.

We asked again, and shortly after, Ron delivered another one. Having done that we saw that sheet had holes in! We called reception again and Ron came up a little while after and advised I inspected it before he went! Fortunately that one was okay, but because of the itching we ended up in the sofa bed again.

The following morning the duty manager who offered me 20%, then 30% off that night's stay. We were told to call lastminute.com again, which I found strange, as they put you on hold then phone the hotel anyway; can't the hotel call them for you?! Well, remember, it is the Britannia!

Anyway, the final night arrived and we got back to the hotel at about 11.30pm. We were tired so were going to head to our sofa bed for some much needed rest. I went to take a breather and sat on the bed, but with a click and the ping of a screw the bed collapsed!

We got another room change, bearing in mind this was now 11:45pm on Sunday night. Here, one of the bedside lights didn't work; there was a massive stain one of the sofa beds and another stain on the blanket. We gave up!

To add, the lifts were dirty, often with wrappers or rubbish left there. There were beer and coke cans left in the seating area in reception last night - noone bothering to clean up. The bath in the second room leaked onto the bathroom floor in one corner. Our friend's card details were left on reception, on a piece of paper, having been written down on the Friday night. He could also see other people's details over the counter. Oh, and half of the TV channels do not work, some saying 'there is no signal being received or 'there is a problem with your viewing card'.

We checked out in the morning, and the three people ahead of us in the reception queue were there to complain. We managed to get a 50% refund, but again have had to go through lastminute.com - they again have to speak to the duty manager who I'm told is not there until Friday, so we have to wait even longer.

Honestly, if cheap and cheap is what you want and you can live with the above then by all means stay, but there is a lot to be said about the phrase 'You get what you pay for'.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

I read reviews on here before for this hotel and thought... "oh well only people with bad experiences would write on here anyway"... so I went and stayed there whilst on a business trip. Boy was I wrong... the hotel is seriously "WRONG"... where do i start???

The reception staff were bored and useless... rude even. I was given a room on the 3rd floor which was the size of a shoe box and stunk of raw fish - the tv wasnt working and neither the phone so i couldnt ring reception and tell them. I decided to drag my luggage to reception... only one lift was working and took about 10 minutes to come, then i waited in the queue at reception whilst the receptionist discussed how her holiday to Turkey was with her colleague and didnt even acknowledge me.

After complaining about the room, I was upgraded to a superior room, which in all fairness was much bigger, but even more outdated then the previous one. At least the TV worked!!!

Anyway, breakfast was alright and when i say alright, i meant they had toast and tea...

The hotel is seriously outdated and needs to either be revamped from scratch or demolished - oh yeah and there is no parking... you have to pay £14 a night at the NCP which is joined to the hotel!

Even after reading this you may not believe my words... thats why I have named this "Go see for yourself..." - you won't regret it... or maybe you would?!?!?

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are sorry some areas of your stay did not meet your expectations. We apologise that you felt staff were unhelpful and can assure you this was not their intention. We are sorry that the first room you were allocated was not to your satisfaction, but we are pleased the hotel were able to offer you another room. Our breakfast buffets operate on a self service basis, allowing our guests more flexibility. Food is regularly re-stocked, and we do apologise if there was any delay in this area. Like many city centre hotels, the Britannia Nottingham does not have its own car park, but has the option for guests to use the NCP adjacent to the hotel. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards and we thank you for your comments.
Nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Our Church- God's Vineyard Church in Nottingham (www.godsvineyardchurch.org) had a conference in Britannia. I knew something was wrong when I went to the loo. Disgusting! Grotty! Grubby!
The conference included a breakfast and the tea and coffee jugs and the juice jugs were dirty. Everything is of such a low and terrible standard. The Office of Fair Trading need to do something! Its appalling. Don't go there unless you are desperate!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are sorry some areas of your conference did not meet your expectations. Your comments regarding housekeeping have been passed to the relevant department for investigation. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards and we thank you for your comments.
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

Oh my god....where do I start?? After hearing such wonderful reviews of the Britannia Hotel Manchester my epectations were very high...THIS DID NOT LAST FOR LONG!!! On entering the very large but very sparce reception we approached the desk for our keys. The gentleman receptionist was polite however when I asked him what time evening meal was served he simply said he didn't know!! The reception area had a rather bizzare smell which I soon discovered that the smell wasn't contained to the reception. It was also along the 9th floor corridor and in my room. One lift wasn't working and reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor this goes as far back as 25th Sept 2008!! 6 months to fix a lift I find absolutely astonishing considering how many people were in the hotel!! After waiting approx 15 minutes to get into the lift that wasn't crammed with people I thought it would be a relief to get to my room!! The smell from the corridor had filtered into my room. The bed linen was clean and the bed soft but comfy. The rest of the room is in desperate need of decorating. small pieces of paper ripped off the walls, an odd little hook sticking out of the wall, filthy windows and not enough room to swing a mouse let alone a cat!!! So onto "evening meal"!! Asked our room numbers by a young girl who then told us to sit where we want and the "meal" was self service. It would have been nice to have labels up saying whats in the pie...I think it was steak and kidney, thought the meat was beef which I had but it turned out to be very fatty (and cheap) lamb, dried up salmon steaks and I think what was supposed to be meditteranian veg. The vegetables to accompany the meal certainly left something to be desired...the swede was diced into huge chunks which came in a two tone colour ranging from a very pale yellow to bright orange, the brocolli was raw I think it had just been dipped in boiling water and taken out, very lumpy mash and the roast potatoes were passable. Breakfast was a whole new experience. Ive stayed in many hotels where they do buffet breakfast but at least they brought toast tea and coffee to the table for you, however self service at the Britannia has a whole new meaning!!! The sausages and bacon were very low value, the fried eggs swimming in fat, I don't want to know what was in the scrambled eggs, the beans and mushrooms were mediocre. Fried bread and/or hash browns would have been nice...and this is the best bit...you have to cook your own toast with dry bread on a rotating grill...I do recommend putting your bread through at least 3 times!! Crumbs and bits of toast covered the service area along with copious amounts of cornflakes and museli covering the other service area. The coffee tasted like creosote!!! It would also be lovely if the staff were not texting on their mobile phones and calling each other over to read the texts they've got...they are supposed to be working and it certainly doesn't look professional!!! Come on Britannia...I know you offer cheap deals but we do still deserve certain standards!!! Would I recommend this hotel to anyone...HELL NO...well not unless I really hated them!!!!

• Stayed March 2009
Thank you for your review. We are sorry some areas of your stay did not meet your expectations. If you felt that reception staff appeared to be unhelpful, we can assure it was not their intention. We do understand that the hotel has been experiencing technical problems regarding the customer lifts and have been awaiting parts from Europe to overcome the issue; however, we apologise for any inconvenience caused. Your comments regarding housekeeping have been passed to the relevant department for investigation. As you are aware, our restaurants are self service and are regularly re-stocked with fresh produce but we understand that personal choice of food is a subjective matter. We apologise that restaurant staff were unhelpful and your comments regarding this issue have been passed to the General Manager for investigation. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards and we thank you for your comments.
belfast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

Quite simply the worst hotel I have ever seen. We arrived around 8pm, first impressions from outside ok but………. We entered the extremely dirty and dusty lobby, the check in staff were friendly and we thought, well it’s only for 1 night, how bad can it be.
We went up in the filthy lift and into what can only be described as dirty dungeon of a room. The windows were so dirty it was hard to see out, tiles were falling off the bathroom walls and the floor was so dirty you wouldn’t even contemplate walking barefoot.
We got out quickly and went into the town centre. When we came back we decided to have a nightcap in the hotel bar. It was only 10:30 but we were told it was last orders. We then got our drinks ad played pool. The pool table was ripped and was being held up in one corner with a copy of the evening newspaper!! The carpet in the lobby outside our room and obviously been burnt and a new piece set-in which not only wasn’t stuck down but, didn’t even match!
We went to bed. When we got up the next morning we noticed some strange stains on the sheets that were anything to do with us, promise! Got a very quick shower and got out asap.
Please, what ever you do, don’t stay in this hotel, I'm scratching right now even thinking about it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at Britannia Nottingham Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2009
Thank you for your review. We are sorry some areas of your stay did not meet you expectations. It is pleasing to know that you found our reception staff to be friendly. Your comments regarding housekeeping have been passed to the relevant department for investigation. We apologise that you found some of our facilities not to be of satisfaction and for any inconvenience caused. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards and we thank you for your comments.
Leicestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

I belong to a group which goes on holiday together and also meets up in various parts of the country for citybreak weekends. We normally have a dinner, bed and breakfast package and last weekend we went to Nottingham.
First impressions were OK. Check-in was speedy, but the programmed keycard never worked first time, even after after I had it re-programmed. The room was small but clean and the bed was fresh and white. The overbed lights did not work, neither did the heated towel rail in the bathroom. I tested the shower and could not switch it off again. About 5 in our group of 20 had the same problem.
All these minor irritations paled into insignificance when we all went down to dinner. It was appalling, dire, abysmal. It was self-service and the choices for the main course were slices of meat kept hot in gravy, cottage pie, crumbed fish fillet or Mediterranean vegetables in a very oily looking sauce, all looking very tired as though they had been out for some time; this in a hotel whose brochure said they offered "fine cuisine". Thankfully the vegetables were not over-cooked, the starters were OK but dessert was a choice of gateau or gateau or gateau! The staff, when you could find them, were young and apparently had had no training whatsoever. Jugs of water were put on the tables but we only had one wineglass each and nothing for the water. Our first choice of wine was not available. When we wanted a second bottle of our next choice we had to hunt for someone to serve us and she eventually brought a different wine again and plonked it down with no apology or explanation. Our usual practice is to linger and chat over dinner, followed by coffee, more drinks and more chat but that Friday evening we went out and found somewhere else more welcoming. We all refused to eat at the Britannia on Saturday evening and our organiser is in the process of trying to get a refund for us.
The hotel has no parking of its own but is right beside an NCP car park. This will cost you another £25+ on top of your hotel bill.
The hotel is in the centre of Nottingham, 5 minutes from the main square, the castle, shops and theatres. If you want to stay there don't take a car and have b&b only and you should be OK. Would I recommend it? I will tick Yes but with these caveats.

• Stayed February 2009
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at Britannia Nottingham Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2009
Thank you for your review. We are sorry some areas of your stay did not meet your expectations. We are pleased that check in and housekeeping were to your satisfaction. Our restaurants are self service and are regularly re-stocked with fresh produce but we understand that personal choice of food is a subjective matter. Our hotel, like many other city centre hotels, does not have its own car park but there is an NCP car park available close by with rates similar to other city centre car parks. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards and we thank you for your comments.

Been to Britannia Nottingham Hotel? Share your experiences!