“Great place in a great location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stanshope Hall

and 1 more site!
You added Stanshope Hall to your Saves list
Stanshope Hall
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Stanshope, Peak District National Park DE6 2AD, England   |
UK
“Great place in a great location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The building stands in a great location within walking distance of both Dovedale and the Manifold Valley so, for walking, it couldn't be better situated. The hall itself is very imposing, standing atop a hill and, if approached from the South, visible from a long way off. The rooms are huge, well equipped, uniquely decorated and are very comfortable.
Breakfast is excellent with a wide choice and homemade muesli, jams and marmalade. The cooked breakfasts are cooked to order.
For evening meals we went to the George in Alstonfield; the Watts Russell Arms in Stanshope and the Manifold Inn at Hartington, all a short drive away. The food and service in the first two were excellent but the food was very ordinary in the Manifold and the service very poor.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

The best thing about this hotel was the warm welcome we received. After a long drive to be offered tea, coffee and cakes in the drawing when we arrived was excellent. The hotel is beautiful and the King room is lovely with amazing view. The breakfast were amazing and the scrambled egg is supposed to be yellow and tastes lovely! The area is outstandingly beautiful and remote but there is a pub within walking distance! I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My wife & I visited the Peak District for a weekend break & Stanshope Hall was the perfect place to stay. On arrival we were warmly welcomed by Naomi who provided a pot of tea & some home made flapjacks with a delicious hint of citrus. We stayed in the Striped Room which was spacious & well appointed with a tray of goodies so that we could make drinks in the room. Naomi recommended The George in Alstonefield & kindly booked our table for dinner - an excellent choice. The full English Breakfast next morning was delicious after which we set off on a delightful walk to Ilam Rock. Overall, Stanshope was simply one of the best B&Bs we've stayed at recently. Unreservedly 5 Stars.

Room Tip: All the rooms were delightful
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Spent four nights at Stanshope Hall. A perfect "away from it all" retreat. A wonderful breakfast served each morning by excellent staff. I still wasn't hungry by lunchtime!! The 17th century house is surrounded by a lovely English country garden. On my arrival on day one I was welcomed with a tray of tea and cake, served in the lovely garden. The area has much to offer, and is a walker's paradise. I was in the area to attend a family wedding in the beautiful Tissington Hall, which is open to the public, but not every day. Worth checking this out if you are in this area. I hope to visit Stanhope Hall again - this area is now on my revisiting list.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I was charmed by this place. We only stayed one night, wanting somewhere to stop for the night so that we were closer to Alton Towers (the outing for the next day).

We made good time from London and stopped on the way for a not-very-good meal in a pub. So it was a delightful surprise to be offered a wine list after we'd settled in at Stanshope Hall. A B&B with a wine list?! A new one on me but an excellent idea. We opted for a very decent bottle of burgundy and the fire was lit for us in the comfortable living room. Perfect!

The welcome was very warm and genial. The decor of the place is definitely 'quirky'; the walls are all covered with murals and the furniture is of the mismatched variety. But the rooms have wonderful proportions and great high ceilings (and the odd draught to match). The building is also set amongst some stunning countryside ... just be prepared for the cows and birds early in the morning.

The next morning, we were introduced to Lynn who was on cooking duty. If we'd had more room in the car we would have kidnapped her! Breakfast was fabulous. I have no hesitation in recommending this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ilkeston Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

While we were visiting and I was reminiscing over Leek in North Staffs where I was born, we agreed that we couldn't do it all in one day. Looking on the internet on tripadvisor and other sites my husband found the the starkly beautiful Stanshope Hall. One glance at the bedrooms, dining room and drawing room told us all we wanted to know. We couldn't wait to see the place. We booked the striped room on tuesday and headed over to the Peak District National Park the following day. During my teens with my brothers, all of us members of the Youth Hostelling Association, I spent many happy hours hiking around the peaks, so coming here was like coming home. My husband, born and bred in Leeds West Yorks had no idea that the Peak District National Park was so stunning. Now he knows. After leaving Leek we made our way over to this fabulous house following the sat nav through the Manifold Valley. onto Butterton Moor.There are at least three different ways to reach Stanshope Hall possibly more, we found the worst or the best depending on how you view steep muddy winding roads. Turned out there were easier more direct routes but we missed those.

The first thing we noticed on entering this imposing house was the stone staircase upto the bedrooms. Now that was right on! I'm thinking I'd like like a stone staircase in my own house. We were made very welcome and offered tea or coffee with biscuits. We were shown around the dining room and the drawing room and then the bedrooms. The walls in the Victorian dining room are painted with murals of wildlife and the views from the house. I was very inspired as my grandfather used to paint scenes on the walls. There was a big open log fire, comfortable furniture and a wonderful coffee table. We were told we could light the fire in there in the evening. Our bedroom was spacious and warm, the mattress and pillows were lovely and soft. I sank right into the pillows. The wardrobe door kept opening by itself. and the creaking floorboards reminded us of home. It was perfect.

When we arrived the only other occupant apart from Alison who welcomed us in was a gorgeous three leggied cat who wanted lots of cuddles which I gave him regularly. He was so cute I would liked to have taken him home. In the evening we lit the fire and the two of us and the cat sat in the drawing room with a bottle of wine. Alcohol and soft drinks are available and nicely priced. We are retired we don't have alot of money to throw around so this wonderful B&B
was ideal. At £70 for the room and breakfast in such an outstanding place you can't go wrong. We loved it and we're going back. It's a piece of serenity nestling in the Peaks and we hope it will be there for a long time yet. Nothing can beat sitting in front of a log fire in the Victorian drawing room with the full moon shining through the windows in the middle of the Moor. and yes breakfast was cooked to perfection. Try their homemade granola cereal it's delicious. I could go on and on but I mustn't. See it and stay there you will adore it.

Marilyn and David
Derbyshire.

Room Tip: The Kings room and the Striped room have beautiful views over the moor and the cheapest of the rooms...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Located at the head of Hall Dale that runs down into Dovedale, Stanshope Hall is in a great location. You can walk straight down into Dovedale or go via Alstonefield or head off to the Manifold Valley. It is also a top notch B&B - which is a bit of an understatement. We stayed in the King's Room, which was very large with a comfortable bed and sofa. The windows provided wonderful views - even from the bathroom, which had a great bath. The room also looked good with the curtains drawn, which made it very cosy.
We had a light supper when we arrived late on Friday night which was very filling, and the cooked breakfasts were first rate - quality food (be it kippers, or the traditional English breakfast) prepared to order supplemented by fresh fruit and homemade muesli.
The lounge was spacious, comfortable and had a roaring log fire when we arrived. The decor was an eclectic mix – traditional with quirky touches - with the lounge, the bedroom and the bathroom having murals
The staff were helpful and welcoming.
A truly great place to stay .
If I had to find points to quibble about.......the perspective of the mural in the bathroom and they served Derbyshire and not Staffordshire oatcakes - but I still want to go back

Room Tip: Romantic weekend - the King's Room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Stanshope Hall? Share your experiences!