“Brought to life” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 22 things to do in Hexham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit Roman Vindolanda today and you will find one of the North East’s most famous and not to be missed tourist attractions lying in the beautiful landscape of Hadrian's Wall Country. Formerly a key military post on the northern frontier of Britain, Vindolanda is the home of Britain's 'Top Treasure' - the Vindolanda Writing Tablets - and is one Europe's most important Roman archeological sites, with live excavations taking place every year. The recently fully refurbished on site museum provides a breathtaking exploration of the Trust's ongoing discoveries and accounts of Roman life. There are no other places on earth where it is possible to experience Roman Britain, Hadrian's Wall and history coming to life before your very eyes all in one space! Come and explore it for yourself and find out why Vindolanda is treasured worldwide.
Dunstable, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Brought to life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2015 NEW

Take a guided tour . Ours was led by Steve, who was a fount of knowledge and answered questions with patience and great enthusiasm. Cafe was a welcome break with tasty snacks and pleasant staff. Buy the inclusive dual ticket for Roman soldier Museum and use it another day. An incredible experience.

Visited May 2015

Preston, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“stunning site”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2015 NEW

So much work done, but obvioulsy so much more to do. Fascinating site, great to see the military and civilian side of that place at the period of time. Was great to see groups of school kids there even on a band holiday weekend. Digging was going on in one area, but one of the guys took time out to chat and answer questions - very good PR.

Outdoor museum at the bottom of the hill near the cafe has some interesting items. The re-construction of some of the buildings was great - appeared very robust.

Fascinating hour or so walking around what has been done,and can see so much more to do.

Some good paths for wheelchair access - but some of the building signs are off the path. But good path does go all the way to the outdoor museaum/cafe area.

Visited May 2015
4 attraction reviews
“Vindolanda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2015 NEW

We received a very warm welcome from the staff and found Vindolanda to be an absolutely incredible place to visit - after an awe inspiring trek round these fabulous excavations, the Museum with its treasures and research was simply stunning.

Visited April 2015
Luton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Turning away a breastfeeding mum and OAPs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2015 NEW

Before I start, I want to make it clear I have never written a bad tripadvisor review before. I had very much looked forward to our visit to this site and I have no doubt it would have been a fascinating visit. I had my wife's family over from the US, my retired parents, our two dogs and 10-month-old son with us. I had looked at the website before we left. Like other visitors we were unable to take our dogs - although I do agree with posters who have said this is an unnecessary ban. Having driven some five-hours on our way up to Scotland we turned up to the site with it teeming with rain. Two of our party do not walk very well, one English, one American. On turning up at the site it was stated on the door that only ticket holders could use the cafe. Not all of our group were going to buy tickets, the two whose walking was not very good would have been unable to access the site fully. My very polite mother-in-law politely tried to reason with them, but to no avail. She returned to the car upset. My wife also upset had to breastfeed our son in the car as, apparently five paying customers with two people using the cafe would not be enough. Upset I returned to make our point and found the lady on the desk very unhelpful and, in fact, rude. I was of course agitated, and became increasingly so through some VERY poor customer service. In the end she walked away and I spoke to a much more helpful member of staff, who was unable to help. I hasten to add the cafe was far from full and we would all have been buying lunch. During our holiday we encountered such policies elsewhere, but on every occasion they were dealt with with common sense and courtesy. This was not the case here. I told them I would be in contact, but my comments through their website went unanswered - asking them to make their policy clearer and perhaps to look at their customer service. I sent them an email and have received a very unsatisfactory response, so sadly I have taken to here. If you look very carefully through their website, it's buried through three links, it does say the cafe is for paying customers only. However, before you get there it says: "Food is available at both our sites, find out more in our Where To Eat section." I had no cause to think that they would have such a crazy policy. I would like to repeat they turned away five fee-paying customers and seven people who would have had lunch and a breastfeeding baby as two OAPs would not have been able to walk the site properly. I made my comments to them privately so that they could improve their customer service. Instead they replied dismissively, hence this is why I am here. I would also like to add we travelled several miles down the road where we visited Halsteads (I had been there before, but was keen to see Vindolanda). They allowed us all to use their facilities, were pleasant and treated us with respect. Dogs can visit their site and for those with mobility issues, if you ask, they allow you to drive right up to the site. Go there.

PS: Having read about previous poor reviews being deleted I will continue to check this site.

Visited March 2015
VindolandaTrust, Operations Manager at Vindolanda, responded to this review, yesterday
We are sorry that you did not take the opportunity to visit our museum and use the facilities while you were in the area, however as I explained by email the Vindolanda Trust requires our activities to be allied to our aims and objectives and therefore admission to the Shop & Café is for museum visitors only. I take on board your comments regarding information on website and will look into this.
UK
5 attraction reviews
“Glimpse into the past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2015 NEW

Well this was a bit of a surprise and we certainly didn't give ourselves enough time to explore it all properly. I made the assumption that a lot of imagination would be required and it would be over pretty quickly. However they've done a great job of showing you what it would have looked like with models and example constructions. The museum was also very interesting and I'd recommend to all to come see this place.